Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use the CX350 as a Webcam Yet? I can't get it to work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody use the CX350 as a Webcam Yet? I can't get it to work...

Hello,

I am running the latest firmware for the CX350 and wanted to try to run the camera into OBS directly from the USB 3 port. I downloaded the PTZ Virtual USB Driver but can not get the camera to connect in the dialogue box. The operating instructions PDF seems to be from an older firmware because what it is saying to do for a CX camera does not match the current menu structure. So the computer is not seeing the camera as active right now. It wants to see an IP address but I can not find that listed in the camera. I have the camera set to "USB Tethering"

Can any of this **** just work? I hate networking...

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Didn't watch it, but does this help?

Comment

Thanks but no. That video is about live streaming via the ethernet port or WLAN. The webcam feature I am trying to use is over USB and is not technically live streaming but a tethered capture from the camera to the computer which would then be live streamed.

Comment

I don't know much about the CX350 - and just brainstorming while you wait for answers from people with the camera - but are you sure the USB tethering will work in non-Panasonic software?

Comment

Panasonic has a little software utility that catches the camera's feed in the computer (the PTX Virtual USB Driver). This software then presents the camera as a USB "webcam" to whatever streaming software you choose. Just like the ATEM Mini devices do except they use HDMI. This is how I understand it to work. If it does not work this way then it would be useless!

Comment

I'd try any of the following:

- Different resolutions | framerates | codecs
            - Different cables
            - Boot computers and cameras in different orders
            - Close other applications
            - Double-check OBS' input/output settings (or anything else)
            - Reset OBS' default settings (if applicable)
            - Click around different network settings in the camera
            - Check any compatibility disparities between Windows/Mac (or simply between OSs)

Just spitballing. It shouldn't be overly complicated but per usual they many times make it out to be.

Comment

The problem is with the handshake between the camera and the Panasonic app. I haven't even opened OBS. The in-camera network settings do not match what is shown in the setup PDF, so things have changed but the setup guide has not been updated. I will call Panasonic tomorrow or Tues. but am not expecting much to be resolved as support has never been up to speed on these kind of topics.

Comment

Get a HDMI to USB device. I bought a used Magewell off ebay and it works great.

Comment

I figured it out. I was wrong about the USB approach, the signal still comes out of the LAN port on the camera. Here are the important settings in the Network Menu:

Device Sel - LAN
                  Network Function - Streaming
                  Streaming/Streaming Protocol - RTSP
                  Lan Property//IPv4/DHCP - Server
                  (note your IP address here as it needs to match in the PTZ Virtual Software on your computer)

Add a camera in the PTZ Virtual USB software and make sure the IP address matches - mine was 192.168.0.01

Now that this works, I can plug the camera directly into my laptop's ethernet port and OBS sees it as a video source. No other hardware needed and the signal is 1080p60 at 24mbps, so decent quality to feed into the OBS encoder. The HDMI USB devices are fine but they get hot if you are streaming outside. This is just easier. Hope this helps anybody else trying to do this with your CX350!

Comment

I didn't want to keep going on about it yesterday, but there were a few things not making sense to me like why an IP would be asked for with USB, and every FW documentation I came across talked about phones with the USB tethering (which I still don't understand what the CX350 does with them but probably something with a network connection), and also if the CX350 truly supported streaming via USB - but glad you figured it out.

The only time I've ever streamed via Ethernet was with Z Cams and they have some nice software you can use to set up and control the cameras.

Comment

Thanks for trying to help. I learned that the "USB Tethering" option is over the USB 2.0 port and is used for forms of camera control on a phone or tablet. The camera also has a USB 3 port which I first thought went along with the Virtual USB driver since the PDF setup guide made no mention of streaming output ports, IP addresses or anything network related. It seemed it was going to be plug and play but the feature is really an extension of the existing streaming LAN functions. The documentation is pretty slim but since there are limited menu items, I tweaked them until I had a winner.

I like this setup as it transfers a clean feed to the computer. So I can leave the HDMI output characters on for my preview monitor. With the capture cards you need to turn everything off for a clean feed.

Comment

The camera control isn't wireless like in many other cameras? (It should be.)

It looks like the USB is for hooking up (tethering) the camera to the phone to use its network for live streaming when you don't have another means like a hard connection or WiFi.

I don't know how many other cameras do that, but that's an excellent idea as it's essentially using the phone as a hotspot like everyone does with their phones and laptops out-and-about when WiFi isn't available (I used to do this so much years ago).

Comment

Panasonic sells a wireless adapter than plugs into the same USB port for remote control or wireless streaming. The camera does not have any internal wireless capability. I use a device called Mighty Wifi which I buy time on which can do 20mbps up & down for hotspot work.

Comment

I guess the camera should have shipped with that FW so you/people wouldn't have had to pay for the adapter, the device, and the data. [facepalm]

Comment

One still needs that wireless adapter for any kind of wireless signal out from the camera. So nothing has changed from FW in that area. They have added SRT (which I am not familiar with) and along the way created this virtual USB driver for direct webcam type connections. I use the Mighty Wifi device for my laptop to get internet so I can stream through OBS. I am pretty sure you could hook up straight from the camera (with the USB dongle) if wanted.

The 'extended beta' type of camera releases are kind of a mess these days. I would say this camera was "finished" 1-1/2 - 2 years after being for sale on the market. This tells me Panasonic is starved for resources in the broadcast camera division. But they make nice cameras so we put up with it. I wonder if they will stay with this camera (CX350) or make a slighter better version at a higher price point? Sort of like the two Canon's XF700 & XF650. I have a lot of football games coming up so I will be continuing to dial it in for high contrast scenes (its weak point imho).

Comment

Working...
                              X