BGH1 + Ninja V = PITA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGH1 + Ninja V = PITA?

I would love to know if I'm missing a step or if this is just how it is. When I'm shooting ProRes Raw into my Ninja V (via HDMI), if I need to swap over to SDI my user experience starts to fall apart rather quickly.

60% of the time I can swap from HDMI to SDI with minimal effort. But I can almost never go back to HDMI without doing a rain dance. I'm always unplugging and re-plugging SDI or HDMI connections, powering the unit off and on, and random combinations of the two because it never works the same way twice. For contrast when I'm using the BM Video Assist it takes me 2 seconds every single time to switch inputs. But I have my reasons for wanting to utilize the NinjaV with this particular rig.

I should probably reach out to Atomos but I wanted to voice my plea here as well just in case someone else had dealt with this.
    Last edited by TSDavis; 11-24-2023, 06:40 PM. Reason: edit: I cant spell reel good

Originally posted by TSDavis View Post
    I would love to know if I'm missing a step or if this is just how it is. When I'm shooting ProRes Raw into my Ninja V (via HDMI), if I need to swap over to SDI my user experience starts to fall apart rather quickly.
    I don't know which camera you are using, but some time ago I suffered similar problems on two cameras, whether it was encoded 709 or LOG files. I don't use ProRes RAW as it doesn't want to play in Resolve's playground. At first, I thought it might be a faulty Ninja HDMI input or that the SDI module was upsetting something. In the end, I tried a number of HDMI cables. Including the much-vaunted Kondor Blue HDMI cables that Gerald Undone was promoting. Which someone told me that he had somewhat walked back from. After many cable tests, which included the OEM Atomos cables, I ended up sticking with the SmallRig skinny 4k HDMI cables. And I've never re-encountered the problem since. The Ninja swaps inputs on both cameras now without a miss on either. Go figure? Might be worth a try?

Here is an interesting aside. I sometimes want to record off cable TV. I can do this with an HDMI distributor, 1 in-4 out splitter, one output to the TV and another to the Ninja's HDMI input. The ONLY cable that has allowed this to happen is the short, skinny SmallRig full-size HDMI one. What's going on there with the HDCP handshake, I have no idea. Strange but fact?

Chris Young

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-ul...35cm-2956.html
    Last edited by cyvideo; 11-24-2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I'm trying it right now on the Lumix BGH1 and interestingly enough to your point, I think the two cables I've tried have been Kondor Blues. Both their 8K variant and one of the Gerald Undone editions. I'll try swapping it out with the Atomos branded one for the time being to see if that helps at all. Though now i'm curious and I may order a SmallRig skinny for giggles. You can never have too many HDMI cables right?

Comment

Chris: I have a dedicated setup for recording off streaming, using a 2 way HDMI splitter into an Atomos Shogun. Never had any handshake issues and no particular HDMI cable needed. Of course the Shogun isn't the Ninja, so that's an extra variable.
        Charles Papert
        charlespapert.com

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesPapert View Post
          Chris: I have a dedicated setup for recording off streaming, using a 2 way HDMI splitter into an Atomos Shogun. Never had any handshake issues and no particular HDMI cable needed. Of course the Shogun isn't the Ninja, so that's an extra variable.
          Interesting! Charles. I knew someone else would be doing it. A whole bunch of variables in there that I've given up trying to figure out. I'm just happy it works.

Chris Young

Comment

Update: ordered the smallrig HDMI cables but no change with Atomos branded cable or Zenith (popular amazon cable from a few years ago that has worked well for me on my other setups). Starting to wonder if I should just leave my phone connected to run camera setting changes .

Comment

Working...
            X