Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how to capture HD Footage on a P2 Card via firewire from the HVX200A into vegas pro 9? is that possible?
    Luis R Cosme

Comment

I do not use Vegas. I am a FCP user, so I cannot help you there. I know a local TV station just bought some for their news operation. Early reports are not encouraging. I would suggest you not directly edit from the P2 card directly. ALWAYS transfer to another drive first, no matter which editing software you are using. If you mess up a clip, you are in trouble. No way to recover it. If the card is isolated, you can at least re-import it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Behl View Post
        I do not use Vegas. I am a FCP user, so I cannot help you there. I know a local TV station just bought some for their news operation. Early reports are not encouraging. I would suggest you not directly edit from the P2 card directly. ALWAYS transfer to another drive first, no matter which editing software you are using. If you mess up a clip, you are in trouble. No way to recover it. If the card is isolated, you can at least re-import it again.
        yes I copied the footage into 2 external hard drives for safe keeping before anything but I would like to edit this particular project in Vegas even though my other 2 editing stations are FCP and Premiere.

thanks for the reply.
        Luis R Cosme

Comment

I will check with one of the guys at the station to see what is the process is for Vegas.

Comment

You can't capture directly with Vegas through Firewire. You'd have to use something like Adobe OnLocation. You can do firewire capture through FCP, Avid, EDIUS, and OnLocation.
            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
              You can't capture directly with Vegas through Firewire. You'd have to use something like Adobe OnLocation. You can do firewire capture through FCP, Avid, EDIUS, and OnLocation.
              oh sweet!
              I do have onLocation on the same box that vegas is on, just never had to use it yet. I guess now would be a great time to start.

thanks!
              Luis R Cosme

Comment

Originally posted by Wes. View Post
                i am having a lot of trouble getting my p2 footage onto the computer... i can easily attribute this to being a new p2 user and such, but please help me!

so i have final cut pro 6, i connect my hvx via firewire, the two p2 cards show up as NO NAME drives on my desktop, open final cut, open log and transfer... i see all my clips, i can even view them (though choppy) on the preview window..... all seems well.

so then i try to use log and transfer, i drag the clip into the part where it says " drag here .. blah blah" and it starts to transfer, giving a moving icon, saying transferring 1 clip etc.... but then it just goes idle.... i have googled this to no avail, finding many with similar problems, but none with any solutions that have worked for me yet...

i tried trashing my fcp preferences... nothing...

i restarted the computer, nothing... quit final cut, reopened.. nothing...

can anybody help me? has this happened to you? i am sooooo frustrated witht this! ive had the hvx for almost a week now, and have not been able to use it, because i cannot get any test footage onto my comptuer!

thanks in advance, wes.
                Wes,
                I have been having the exact problem you are talking about...choppy playing in viewer window in Log and Transfer and stalling when I try to ingest. I discovered that this primarily occurs only with very long clips (more than like 20 minutes in length). Our students had been shooting in 720/30P. Goodness knows why! But, I did find out that just by changing to PN, the choppiness in the viewer goes away for long enough when you play it to pick ins and outs. This also seems to relieve the problem with long clips stalling on ingest. 24PN also works fine. Anyone have any ideas how to fix the 30P problem or the general choppiness in the viewer in L and T?

Comment

you shouldnt log and transfer directly from a connected camera. copy the media to your computer (or external hard drive) first.

i think this might be the culprit in your choppy situation...

Comment

ok so i just got my 6pin to 6pin firewire400 cable and i pluged it into my pc and my hpx170 and im stuck now, no idea what to do i tried going into pc mode to see the clips and nothings happening on my pc, ive installed the cd drivers and all that too..

what am i doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindquist View Post
                      ok so i just got my 6pin to 6pin firewire400 cable and i pluged it into my pc and my hpx170 and im stuck now, no idea what to do i tried going into pc mode to see the clips and nothings happening on my pc, ive installed the cd drivers and all that too..

what am i doing wrong?
                      firewire is for capturing.
                      use the usb cable.
                      Luis R Cosme

Comment

P2 Viewer creating nested Contents folders ... After creating virtual hard drives with P2Viewer I find it has created new Contents folders nested within the original Contents folder on my hard drive. The new folders contain all the subfolders but are empty. sometimes the nesting will go more than one level deep. Am I doing something wrong with P2Viewer and has anyone else had this problem.

I hope I'm asking this in the right place.

Comment

I had the "creating multiple empty folders" issue, but didn't really pay attention on how it happened or what I did wrong, I just deleted all the empty folders and kept what I needed. I would love to know what the hec I did to make that happen!
                          Luis R Cosme

Comment

I'm doing the same, deleting the unnecessary folders, but I'm always scared I might delete the wrong ones. I will use P2Viewer with dummy data to see if I can figure out what causes it, but hopefully someone comes up with a solution.
                            Last edited by Nic; 08-30-2011, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Ok, did what I should have done, before asking for help. I spent a bit of time practising with dummy data. When making a Virtual Card, if the folder selected for the destination is not above the existing "Contents" folder, a new "Contents" folder will be created within the existing one. I should have known that from what I had read before. i still have a problem however. When exporting to P2 format from Premiere CS5 it creates a directory structure beginning with a "Contents" folder off the selected destination folder, but I cant get P2Viewer to load the clips into the P2Viewer bin.

What is the significance of the folder with the alpha numeric name that P2Viewer creates between the destination folder and the Contents folder when Ingesting? I will read Barry's book again on the subject, but in the meantime if anyone has an explanation it would help.

Comment

Working...
                              X