Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How useful is the gear guide 1 & 2 if a person does not have the specific gear that is covered? I am thinking about getting this training, but it appears to me that new comp and audio training would be more useful in the command package and leave the gear guide 1 & 2 as a stand alone. Is this possible? or can someone share how the gear guide has helped them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wendt
      How useful is the gear guide 1 & 2 if a person does not have the specific gear that is covered? I am thinking about getting this training, but it appears to me that new comp and audio training would be more useful in the command package and leave the gear guide 1 & 2 as a stand alone. Is this possible? or can someone share how the gear guide has helped them?
      Hi Wendt, I would be happy to swap out the COMP for the GG 1 & 2. After you place your order, just send me an email and tell me that you'd like to do that. You get the A102 free anyhow as a DVXuser. If you decide you'd rather have everything, there is one low DVXuser price for the whole deal, that saves you another $30. It's on the same page as the DCT-MP/COMMAND package.

I just wanted to mention that the Gear Guides have nothing to do with specific gear. True, the Century guys are showing you Century lenses, and the Arri guys are showing Arri lights, but the principle behind it is what matters.

The Century guys are teaching the difference between grades of diopters, whether to choose a 0.6x or a fisheye lens, whether you need a Graduated ND with a soft or hard horizon line. The Arri guys are teaching you what HMI lights are, the difference between HMI and Tungsten, and all the terminology associated. The Rosco guy is teaching you how to use gels in general, how to correct a tungsten source to fluorescent, how to get an HMI to "warm" up a bit using dry CTS gels or CTO.

In the new Gear Guide vol.2, you will also get instruction in the difficult world of battery chemistry, on-camera lights, underwater bags, and renting gear.

It's all principles, rather than specific usage. The reason the Gear Guide exists is, you may not have this gear now, but someday you'll need it, and you'll already know what to look for and how to use it, even if you use other manufacturers' gear.

Learning about using a mattebox, follow focus, jib, wide adapter, tripod, pedestal, dolly, monitor, fresnel, filter, gel, fluorescent light, and C-stand will simply make you a more knowledgeable filmmaker. And besides, where else can you learn this gear from the people who actually make it.

The Digital Cinema Course. 30+ hours of filmmaking instruction on 20 DVD Discs.
      DVXusers get a FREE Audio DVD. Our new Gear Guide teaches Arri, Bogen, Century,
      Cinetech, KinoFlo, MSE, EwaMarine, PAG, Cartoni, Chrosziel, Bebob,
      Nnoga, and Rosco, as well as Safe Renting Tips. To order click HERE .

MYSPACE - YOUTUBE - IMDb -

Comment

Hi Rush,
        Thanks for the reply and your willingness to exchange products. I would also like to thank you for explaining what the gear guide covers. you will be hearing from me soon-as soon as I figure out if the whole thing is worth the extra $100.

Comment

The new additions to the DCFTC are fantastic!

The Compositing volume is great! I went through all four discs in the first night! Very informative stuff, including a lot of helpful on-set tips that apply to more scenarios than just green/blue screen situations.

I briefly went through the Audio 102 and it too is chalk full of great information.

These two volumes add so much to the base set. The Compositing set is very specific. But Audio 102 seems like it's a must purchase for any folks that already own the base set or even the crowd that needs to find a more disciplined understanding of audio gear and set-ups.

EDITED FOR MY POOR SPELLING. ;)
          Last edited by unfiltered; 05-20-2007, 04:06 PM.
          corey

Comment

Thanks Corey I appreciate the great feedback!

Comment

Wow this thread is old. Just ordered for our lttle two man company. Been looking for something like this for awhile. Accidently stubbled upon this thread. The lighting was definately the main draw for us. The other stuff's just bonus. We're in Canada so I'm assuming it's the two week wait?
              www.bks-crew.com

Comment

Hi TD, first of all thank you very much for the order, sir

Our standard international shipping is Global Priority Mail via USPS. It is supposed to take 3-5 days globally, and we pay $33 for it. Ofcourse, it's free with the DCT-MP/COMMAND Course you purchased.

It gets to Germany across the ocean in 3-5 days, but for some reason it takes 10-14 days for Canada. Who knows why... I think Canadian Customs hang onto packages for long periods sometimes. But we've had some Northern Neighbors get it in as little as 5 days. Thanks again, and I hope you the best of luck in your productions.

Comment

Thanks Rush, looking forward to it!
                  www.bks-crew.com

Comment

Hi Rush,
                    I decided that this trainging was a better value in the long run than some of the other things on my list. I just orderd the whole thing.

Blessings,

David Wendt
                    Last edited by Wendt; 06-28-2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Thank you, sir! It is on its way to you.

Comment

I just stumble on this thread. So dvxuser gets a $30 value discount, correct?

Comment

I guess, this is the discount link
                          http://www.digitalcinemacourse.com/dvxuser.html

Comment

Thanks! I will consider it.

Comment

Has the new Gear Guide Vol. 2 been released yet?

Comment

Originally posted by drameddie View Post
                                Has the new Gear Guide Vol. 2 been released yet?
                                Not yet. Rush is wrapping it up. Expect an announcement soon. (I hope I didn't step on your toes, Rush. )
                                corey

Comment

Working...
                                X