Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been really enjoying the set and learning a great deal from it.

Coupla questions:

Was the HVX200 shooting in HD for the Production DVDs (1-4)? If so, what format? Also, I'd be curious if any particular scene file settings were used globally aside from the illustrated changes of gamma etc. Detail level settings would be particularly interesting to know.

I notice what looks like 24f upsampled to 30f - doubled frames every 5th frame. Is that right?

Thanks again for a great program Rush!
    "Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
    A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
    And though she feels as if she's in a play
    She is anyway"

From "Penny Lane" by Lennon/McCartney

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Spencer

Coupla questions:

Was the HVX200 shooting in HD for the Production DVDs (1-4)? If so, what format? Also, I'd be curious if any particular scene file settings were used globally aside from the illustrated changes of gamma etc. Detail level settings would be particularly interesting to know.

I notice what looks like 24f upsampled to 30f - doubled frames every 5th frame. Is that right?

Ok - after hearing numerous references to HD in the narrative, I will assume that the HVX footage is in fact HD. I'm still curious about the rest though - scene fiile settings, 720 or 1080, i or p, etc. Please let us know when you have a chance.

Thanks!

Ted Spencer, NYC
      "Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
      A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
      And though she feels as if she's in a play
      She is anyway"

From "Penny Lane" by Lennon/McCartney

Comment

Originally posted by insanityfw
        Just got my set last night and started watching.
        OH MY GOD!!!! The presentation is wonderful and the narration is perfect.
        I'm a film-school graduate but have a feeling that during the course of this series i'm going to learn a lot more from a technical standpoint than I did in thousands of hours of schooling. I'm really a writer/producer/director that wants to make the transition to a modern version of filmmaker, which means knowing not only the logistics of filmmaking, but the technical as well. I can tell right now that this series is going to go a long way towards making this feasible. I will report more later, but at the moment you've taken my breath away. For only a bit over $300 I feel like I'm getting away with something criminal. Best regards, Criminal J
        Thank you J for summing up our intentions so eloquently. It's feedback like this that makes all the effort worthwhile.

The Digital Cinema Course. 30+ hours of filmmaking instruction on 20 DVD Discs.
        DVXusers get a FREE Audio DVD. Our new Gear Guide teaches Arri, Bogen, Century,
        Cinetech, KinoFlo, MSE, EwaMarine, PAG, Cartoni, Chrosziel, Bebob,
        Nnoga, and Rosco, as well as Safe Renting Tips. To order click HERE .

MYSPACE - YOUTUBE - IMDb -

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Spencer
          Coupla questions:
          Hi Ted, you are welcome sir! I am happy that the course is beneficial. We shot all DVD's 1-4 on HVX200 720p24pn (progressive native) for the Movie Production series (and the movie). All titles and text were also HD. So, the writing, editing, and script formatting sections were all DVCPRO-HD projects with HD artwork and text.

Some of the behind the scenes shots in the Movie Production series were in 1080i 60i, but very rarely, only in one scene. That was converted to fit into the 720p24pn timeline.

The Basic Production series and Lighting series is 1080i 60i all the way, in 1080 projects.

As far as gamma settings, we didn't use anything globally. We changed settings scene to scene. But within the scene it was uniform.

Detail was at default as far as I can remember. We didn't play around with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush
            Thank you J for summing up our intentions so eloquently. It's feedback like this that makes all the effort worthwhile.
            But wait there's more!!!!

I still haven't gotten through half of the series....these things take time. There's more info here than War And Peace, and that's a good thing.

With this much info you would expect that some of the DVD's would falter in there professionalism or energy, but it's not the case. Whenever it's just a small crew showing lighting, etc. there's always plenty going on to keep the mind flowing.

I just had a bad experience trying to get my horrorfest project done (still not done), but watching this series makes me want to get back out there right away. Ah, to hell with it...I'm going to get back behind the camera on a feature film. It must be the training.

Thanks Rush and team. I hope one day to give a bit more formulated criticism, but until then let me just say "you rock!!!" and I'm not a fan of that term usually, but in this case you really really do rock!!!

Best,

Criminal J

PS-People if you haven't bought the series get out there and do it!!!
            I know how to do it. You just wouldn't know it from the way that I do it.

Comment

Originally posted by insanityfw
              Ah, to hell with it...I'm going to get back behind the camera on a feature film. It must be the training.
              I very humbly thank you. I can ask for no greater good, than to inspire filmmakers to make movies.

Comment

Just recieved my additional lighting and production DVD's, Kudos to you Rush on producing an excellent product, it just shows the person who goes that extra mile produces the better product. Well done !!

Comment

Hi Rush.
                  I just purchased the course and thought I would ask (after the fact), is there any discount or special stuff happening for DVXusers? No biggie, just thought I would ask.

Thanks!
                  John Gyovai

www.skyhousefilms.com

Comment

yeah there was an actual DVXuser special order page, not sure what happened to that, Rush has some special treats for Dvxusers.

Comment

Hi John, I got the order sir. The paypal link on the DVXuser site is automatic, but I have modified it to now go to a page first, with a Welcome DVXusers message. It's all the same, but at least it lets you guys know that you're in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by RayFrisby
                        Just recieved my additional lighting and production DVD's, Kudos to you Rush on producing an excellent product, it just shows the person who goes that extra mile produces the better product. Well done !!
                        Thank you sir. I appreciate that.

Comment

is this set the best for beginers or pro's?
                          I AM COMING FOR YOU!

THE o.g 666 except no imitations!

Comment

Is the Free 4DVD Lighting set offer still good for DVX Users?
                            Dan Welsh - Mr Punch Films
                            http://danwelsh.info

Comment

Originally posted by MOVIE MASTER
                              is this set the best for beginers or pro's?
                              Hi MovieMaster, it is for both. There is a lot in there for everyone. It starts you out slowly with a 2DVD Basic Production set, and works into a full 6DVD production course. Especially with the Lighting Set. That has 10 advanced Lighting exercises on 4 DVDs covering most difficult lighting situations that you will find yourself in. So you're getting 12 DVDs as part of the training.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpunch
                                Is the Free 4DVD Lighting set offer still good for DVX Users?
                                Yes and it will be for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X