Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone who has Rush's dvd also seen Dov Simon's 2 day film school dvds? I was just about to jump for those.
    "If it ain't helpin' your story, get rid of it" -Michael Bay lol I think he meant blow it up and shoot it from 8 different angles in slow motion.

Comment

Hi Rush, I am sure you have made a great product and by the sounds of it are satisfying the masses once more. However from my perspective the idea of all the DVD's does not interest me. MY library is kind of FULL :P

That said though anything on lighting I have is about large budget stuff.... usually out of my reach. So thus based on the numerous recommendations here was wondering if there is any way to get my hands on just the lighting DVD?

PLEEEAAAASEEEEEE!!!!!
      w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
      p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Comment

Hi ncje, you are welcome to purchase just the Basic Production DVD, which is at least 2 hours of lighting instruction (1 subject, then 2 subjects), but that is studio instruction.
        Here is an example:
        1) 10-point lighting for one person with all positions explained and jargon.
        a) Practical lights as motivation and fill
        b) Key light.
        c) Fill from camera side
        d) Backlight
        e) Kicker from back ¾ direction opposite Key
        f) Background light(s)
        g) Filler Light below camera
        h) 2nd Kicker from Key side
        i) 2nd Fill
        j) Additional background lights to add more points of interest

The real beef of the series is in the DVD 2- 6, where we go through many different real-life locations and scenes, and discuss lighting then composition and other aspects. So I don't have just one lighting DVD isolated. Also, getting just the Basic Production DVD would be a loss of the manual (with the lighting diagrams) and the DVXuser gift, which is another 2 hours of lighting in special situations. I will have downloadable movie files on the site by the end of the weekend, that way you can preview the information. Also, if you are concerned about storage space, the whole series with the Prep CD fits into one elegant 7-DVD Alphapak case, takes up as much room as a fat book.
        Here is an example of the chapters, and these are spread out over 2 DVD's:

Movie Production DVD 1 (~150 minutes)
        1) Easel (KinoFlo INT Night)
        i) Lighting
        ii) Set décor
        iii) Adding movement to short dolly move
        iv) Acting
        v) Audio Samples
        4) Characters (HMI INT Day)
        i) Lighting
        ii) Actors rehearsing
        iii) Warm Cards
        iv) Wireless receiver routing and audio tips
        v) Composition, triangles, lines
        vi) Moving camera for proper CU composition
        vii) Framing, headroom
        5) Sunset (HMI + Tungsten INT Night for Day)
        i) Lighting
        ii) White balance cycle
        iii) Using battery-operated light as 2nd fill
        iv) Short dolly move for drama or production value
        v) Composition, triangles, color harmony
        vi) Audio samples
        Movie Production DVD 2 (~174 minutes)
        1) Fall Asleep (HMI INT Day)
        i) WB cycle
        ii) Modifiers
        iii) Natural sources motivating lighting
        iv) Composition, subject size in frame
        v) Matching HMI intensity to outdoor light
        vi) Composition, triangles
        vii) Line of actor movement matching WS to CU
        viii) ECU and lighting with battery-operated lights
        ix) Making focus marks
        x) Light gags and matching actor behavior to them
        xi) Camera height influencing character
        xii) Modifiers, net
        2) Zones (Tungsten INT Night for Night/Sunrise)
        i) Acting
        ii) Under-crank camera
        iii) Reflector mimicking sunlight
        iv) Moonlight and sunrise
        v) Dimmers and wattage management
        vi) WB cycle
        vii) Gamma cycle
        viii) Effect lighting for illogical background patterns
        ix) Set décor
        x) Composition, color harmony, mass in frame, color separation

The Digital Cinema Course. 30+ hours of filmmaking instruction on 20 DVD Discs.
        DVXusers get a FREE Audio DVD. Our new Gear Guide teaches Arri, Bogen, Century,
        Cinetech, KinoFlo, MSE, EwaMarine, PAG, Cartoni, Chrosziel, Bebob,
        Nnoga, and Rosco, as well as Safe Renting Tips. To order click HERE .

MYSPACE - YOUTUBE - IMDb -

Comment

I'd like to chime in here for a few points.

1) I totally didn't even expect a short sample film to be presented in the first place. I'd bet that Dov Simon's didn't make a SAMPLE short-film in order to illustrate any of his teachings. The fact that Rush made this short film for the sake of a teaching video is, again, above-and-beyond. I wasn't watching the short film for entertainment value, but I've paid money to see movies that were far worse at Blockbuster. Heck, if nothing else, it was worth it just to watch the HVX footage. (I don't own the camera yet, so the footage was exciting to see.) Actually, the character in the movie did seem a bit dim-witted at times -- but I could relate to feeling like the only guy willing to try something as crazy as making a movie.

...and one more thought on the sample film -- it is only 45 minutes. Maybe 5% of the entire dvd set?

2) Regarding repitition -- I am glad for it. For me anyway, it was so much information that I found myself losing my place in the video from overload... I'd be afraid that I'd have to skip back to watch it again to catch what was said, but then I was bailed out by a repitition that explained what I had missed. Mind you, the repitition is not accidental. Most good teachers do repeat themselves in different ways to make sure you get the point. Rush is no exception here.

3) Regarding the lighting dvd... I was actually concerned watching the first disc on lighting that he was talking about equipment that was out of my league. It takes place in a studio -- and there must be 15 lights going to light this scene. I was actually considering writing an email to Rush to tell him he needs something to help us low-budget lighters, and then he moves into on-location-type lighting set-ups with maybe 1-3 lights (in house, etc.). So, I think the big studio set-up was to give us the big picture of how it should look -- and the small set-up was just another way it could be achieved.

4) I've never watched Dov Simon's video set... and I bet it is useful from what I've heard... but I picked up his book version and it appears to me that (the book at least) is a different breed of instruction than Rush's set. Dov's looks like it may be a general how-to, as well as a good book/video for resources, but not a technical how-to like Rush has created. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a future version of Dov's book includes a referral to Rush's videos as another reference!

Comment

I think there's a lot of great stuff in Rush's course (particularly the stuff on lighting), and I would definitely recommend it for newbies, but I cannot endorse it whole-heartedly. The problem for me is that the "sample movie" (the 37-minute short) is so awful that it nearly destroys the credibility of everything else on the DVDs.
            Personally, I didn't buy the DVD set for the short. After wathcing it, I find that it fits thematically with his digital cinema class which, in my opinion, is perfect. He gives us a model and dissects the sequences for us so we can see how he set the scene. Great job, Rush!

The short is perfect for beginners but I think more advanced filmmakers might watch a few minutes and move on to the class itself. Right?

I totally didn't even expect a short sample film to be presented in the first place. I'd bet that Dov Simon's didn't make a SAMPLE short-film in order to illustrate any of his teachings. The fact that Rush made this short film for the sake of a teaching video is, again, above-and-beyond. I wasn't watching the short film for entertainment value, but I've paid money to see movies that were far worse at Blockbuster. Heck, if nothing else, it was worth it just to watch the HVX footage. (I don't own the camera yet, so the footage was exciting to see.) Actually, the character in the movie did seem a bit dim-witted at times -- but I could relate to feeling like the only guy willing to try something as crazy as making a movie.
            Dov's class is a completely different subject. His stuff deals with the business of independent filmmaking. How to shake off the shackles of what you learn in film school and produce a film yourself, then strategies for marketing and getting financial backers.

He doesn't go into the technical minutia of lighting and blocking. He teaches you where to buy 35mm film at the best price and how much to pay your cast and crew, which union personnel to hire and not to hire and goes through, step by step, a production budget. I think the two DVD sets would compliment each other very well.

RUSH: Dov has one of the biggest filmmaking bookstores in the world. I think you ought to approach him about selling your DVDs there. If he finds them valuable, he will plug them in his class and you will have 50 potential customers every time he teaches...
            Last edited by BigMike; 06-17-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike
              I wasn't expecting "Lawrence of Arabia" with the included short.
              Sarcasm aside, I don't think my point requires a degree in rocket science to understand (and this will be my final word on the matter)...

If you got home from work, found your "Digital Cinema Course" in your mailbox, took out the first DVD, popped it in, and found some kick-ass little fifteen minute short with a terrific little story (i.e.: not boring), great dialog, great visuals, etc..., would it, or would it not, give everything that comes after it greater credibility? If you say, "no," then we simply don't live on the same planet. For heaven's sake, the first section after the "sample movie" is the "screenwriting" section!!! The only thing the "sample movie" illustrate in terms of screenwriting is, "don't do this."

And here's the perfect illustration of my point. When I first watched the "sample movie," I did so with my 15-year-old daughter, who has helped me make two movies and has become quite the little focus-puller/AC in her own right. Twenty minutes into the "sample movie" she turned to me and said, "And you're supposed to learn filmmaking from this guy?" Out of the mouths of babes.
              "You don't need to follow anybody!" Brian
              http://mrdeity.com
              http://15minuteslatermovie.com/

Comment

Dov's class is a completely different subject. His stuff deals with the business of independent filmmaking. How to shake off the shackles of what you learn in film school and produce a film yourself, then strategies for marketing and getting financial backers.
                Yes products are so radically different. He teaches budgeting, line producing, financing, finding investors, like you said, the Producing/Business side of filmmaking; Whereas I spend 15 hours teaching the technical and emotional aspects of lighting, composition, angles, shot types, etc. I have heard that he is a master at teaching you how to simply not run out of money and financially plan and finish your film.

Adding:
                Originally posted by telebay
                I was actually considering writing an email to Rush to tell him he needs something to help us low-budget lighters, and then he moves into on-location-type lighting set-ups with maybe 1-3 lights (in house, etc.). So, I think the big studio set-up was to give us the big picture of how it should look -- and the small set-up was just another way it could be achieved.
                Yessss!! That is correct. I taught it just like I learned it: First get the studio lighting out of the way, the move on to the real world, where you don't need a backlight on every set. If you have good separation from the background, and the fill is in correct proportion to the key, you are fine, as in this photo, which was lit with only two lights and a reflector at night.

Adding:
                One more screen grab at laptop computer, Tungsten 150W + 150W + 300W + litepanel.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Rush; 06-17-2006, 01:52 PM.

Comment

That's a nice shot.

Hey, I got my supplement today. Thanks!

Comment

You're welcome sir!

Comment

That's a nice shot.

Hey, I got my supplement today. Thanks!
                      "Today" you say, BigMike?

<Corey walks out to his mailbox>
                      corey

Comment

Yep, I had just come in from getting the morning mail when I wrote that post.
                        Of course Rush is so close, the mail person could walk the dvds to my house over night.

Comment

Yep, I had just come in from getting the morning mail when I wrote that post.
                          Of course Rush is so close, the mail person could walk the dvds to my house over night.
                          MY mail hasn't even come yet. (It was much earlier than I thought.)

I'm only in Valencia. The set went out MOnday and I got it Tuesday, so it mayv ery well be in the mail today.

EDIT: Nope. Nothing yet. Color me saddened.
                          Last edited by unfiltered; 06-17-2006, 09:15 PM.
                          corey

Comment

Well, I've been following this site off/on for a little bit now, mostly keeping to myself.

I've been reading a lot (on these forums and books); Though, I feel I still need more.

So, I ordered the set. I was trying to fight off the tempation, since this is coming from my equipment budget, but now I can't wait to get it!

Also, I added "DVXuser" to my comments on the payment. I hope that two-disc lighting set is still being thrown in. That was a key selling point for me. ;)

Man, I love this site.

Thanks.
                            Last edited by jmanko; 06-18-2006, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinandpaine
                              There's an even bigger bonus Rush hasn't told people about... Wait 'till you get your hands on the pen that comes with the course. My daughter and I are still fighting over it! It's that good!!!!!!
                              C'mon, man.
                              corey

Comment

Originally posted by darwinandpaine
                                C'mon, man?

I'm serious. This pen is the best pen I've ever used. It's an "uni-ball Vision Elite" by UNI. I will never write with anything else ever again. Seriously! Just wait 'till you get your course. You'll see.
                                I have my course. I've had it since Tuesday.

I was saying "c'mon man" because I thought you were being sarcastic. After your earlier criticism of a portion of the course, I thought you were continuing the criticism. That's all. It's hard to read if someone is being serious or not just by the word.

And yes, the pen is nice. (For real.)
                                corey

Comment

Working...
                                X