Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Silverwolf, actually that link in my signature still has the old price in it, I'll leave it on for the rest of the day. I just figured everyone was done pre-ordering last week.

The Digital Cinema Course. 30+ hours of filmmaking instruction on 20 DVD Discs.
    DVXusers get a FREE Audio DVD. Our new Gear Guide teaches Arri, Bogen, Century,
    Cinetech, KinoFlo, MSE, EwaMarine, PAG, Cartoni, Chrosziel, Bebob,
    Nnoga, and Rosco, as well as Safe Renting Tips. To order click HERE .

MYSPACE - YOUTUBE - IMDb -

Comment

Originally posted by mcgeedigital
      Any clips available for preview so we can see what we are getting?
      Thanks
      Matt G
      Sorry Matt not yet. I will post on here when it's available. It will be about 3 minutes or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush
        Hi Silverwolf, actually that link in my signature still has the old price in it, I'll leave it on for the rest of the day. I just figured everyone was done pre-ordering last week.
        Sweet thanks

Comment

I just placed my order

Comment

Thank you sir, received it. Link is changing to $329 at midnight.

Comment

What an adventure! The last packages went out today, all the pre-orders satisfied. Manuals and supplementary Prep-CD will mail out at the end of the month. I want to thank everyone who ordered the series for their infinite patience, and hope that all my customers feel that in the 6-DVD set, there is a little something for everyone. Please email me you have any questions about the series.

Comment

Rush -- and to everyone interested --

Just wanted to say that I got the course DVDs in the mail yesterday. I immediately popped the first one into the drive on my Mac to just get a quick glimpse. I must say that I was really surprised by the quality. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. In ended up watching the first 2 dvd's yesterday!

Now, I am a newbie, for sure. I've been trying to learn everything I can for a while now and more recently -- specifically more on photography (which is my reason for checking this forum on a daily basis). I've read a lot of things... like The Guerilla Film Makers books, the make-a-movie-for-the-price-of-a-used-car-type books, $30 Film School, Rebel Without A Crew, etc., etc. I even watched that Troma crap dvd set: Make Your Own Damn Movie! They all pretty much had something to contribute to my knowledge, but they all still left me feeling like I still didn't know what I really needed to know -- the specific nuts-and-bolts. They all do a good job of basically saying the following:

1) Come up with a story with a strong hook, etc. Beginning-Middle-End.
                2) Talk everyone into giving you great deals on equipment.
                3) Rustle up wanna-be's to act for you. Feed them!
                4) Get a cheap computer. Edit.
                5) Market it. Find a distributor!

And after each point, this pretty much follows:

1) Read Syd Fields. Read Hero's Journey. Read Robert McKee. Read as many screenplays as you can find.... day and night!
                2) Learn how to use the equipment on your own. Ask someone how or read the manual!
                3) Read Directing Actors!
                4) Learn how to use editing software.
                5) Do some digging. Find someone who might be interested in your crap!

Gee thanks!

Now, I don't think this series will answer ALL of my questions... but I must say that, especially disk 2 (on lighting) was VERY thorough. I've got PAINTING WITH LIGHT -- but I must confess, I've not been able to read it without nodding off. But the Digital Cinema Course is the first thing I've seen that so well illustrated exactly what to do regarding lighting! I only hope that the rest of the DVDs are as good -- and right now, I see no reason why they wouldn't be.

Rush has gone above and beyond. The quality and the instruction are great. If you are sitting on the fence regarding this purchase, I would suggest getting off and making the purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by telebay
                  Rush has gone above and beyond. The quality and the instruction are great. If you are sitting on the fence regarding this purchase, I would suggest getting off and making the purchase!
                  Indeed he has, I'm glad you liked the lighting section. Rush and I spent quite a lot of time making sure that all the details were there and that our approach to lighting and cinematorgaphy was both sophisticated and accessible.

Please let us know what you think about the rest of the series.
                  E.
                  Always beg forgiveness, not permission! http://www.evingrant.com http://www.evingrantdp.com http://www.evingrantphoto.com
                  RED #199
                  HVX #69

Comment

Got my set today. Thanks Rush!! Watching the short on disc now, can't wait to dig into more goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by telebay
                      . . . I must say that I was really surprised by the quality. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. . .
                      Well I was (expecting that level of quality) . . . and man is it!

Absolutely SMOK'IN!!!

Very, very nice Rush -- wish this had been available a long time ago . . . I would have saved a lot of money on books.

Guys, if you don't have it, or have it on order you better step up, it's really good.

Thanks Rush!
                      Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Comment

Thank you very much guys!
                        Telebay, for_m, and dregenthal, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate that you guys took the time to post the comments. Hurrah!

Comment

I think there's a lot of great stuff in Rush's course (particularly the stuff on lighting), and I would definitely recommend it for newbies, but I cannot endorse it whole-heartedly. The problem for me is that the "sample movie" (the 37-minute short) is so awful that it nearly destroys the credibility of everything else on the DVDs.

Technically, the movie is fine --- well lit, nice camera work (though some of it is entirely unmotivated). But creatively, it's a complete failure IMO. The dialog is completely flat (what little there is aside from the ever-present, meandering voice-over --- "Type. Type. Sleep. Sleep"), the story goes nowhere, is filled with cliches, and is completely repetitious (how many times can the character get inspired, and then fall flat on his face?), and the acting is not very good (in all fairness, the actors were given nothing to work with). On top of that, the main character is the most whiney, self-pitying character I've ever seen --- I kept wanting to smack him and felt absolutely no sympathy for him.

The movie also suffers tremendously from a complete lack of music, and quite frankly, some bad audio. There is a scene with the lead character on the phone outside a bar where he's talking to his girlfriend and she sounds like she's standing just off camera. Her audio should have been well-recorded and then run through a filter to make it sound like she was on the phone.

Finally, the course itself also suffers from a great deal of repetition. Perhaps this was intentional as it IS a teaching/training course. But if I never see anyone white balance off a warm card, or run through the various gammas and matrixes again, it will be too soon.

I appreciate the effort, but feel that this was just too ambitious for one man to take on by himself.

P.S.: I hope Rush doesn't take any of this personally. This is just my honest critique. Rush is obviously an extremely valuable member of this community (much moreso than myself), but I felt that people need to know what they'll be getting. Besides, I'm just some schmuck with an opinion --- everyone's got one.
                          "You don't need to follow anybody!" Brian
                          http://mrdeity.com
                          http://15minuteslatermovie.com/

Comment

The movie is there to instruct in writing, not to entertain. Anyone who is not a struggling or new writer can skip the 80 minute DVD 1 and go straight to the technical DVDs 2 – 6, as stated in the Release Notes emailed to all customers. The repetition is there to hammer in principles, much like basic training for soldiers teaches the same principles in different combat situations. Same gamma/WB settings + different lighting/setting = Different look.

Also, anyone who felt cheated by the course in any way can return the DVD series and get a full refund, no questions asked. I stand by my product.

Comment

The movie is there to instruct in writing, not to entertain. Anyone who is not a struggling or new writer can skip the 80 minute DVD 1 and go straight to the technical DVDs 2 – 6, as stated in the Release Notes emailed to all customers. The repetition is there to hammer in principles, much like basic training for soldiers teaches the same principles in different combat situations. Same gamma/WB settings + different lighting/setting = Different look.

Also, anyone who felt cheated by the course in any way can return the DVD series and get a full refund, no questions asked. I stand by my product.

And that my friends is as good as it possibly gets!!!!

Awesome!

A++++++++++

Comment

As stated, there is much to recommend, and I take all your points. I certainly didn't feel cheated. I just felt that the movie would have had much greater instructional value and given the course greater credibility had the creative aspects been on a par with the technical aspects. To me, this is very instructional, as it shows how much easier it is to make something technically proficient when compared to the creative/artistic side of filmmaking.
                                "You don't need to follow anybody!" Brian
                                http://mrdeity.com
                                http://15minuteslatermovie.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X