Digital Cinema Filmmaker's Training Course

The pen rules! And, btw, one of the nice touches of the course is the inclusion of the pad of paper and the pen. I don't necessarily agree with writing things out by hand (that would never work for me, and I'm always for people doing whatever works for them), but it's a nice thought for taking notes on something as big as this course.

One other suggestion for Rush: I think it would be great if you could post a "table of contents" on the web site that's more informative than the names of the chapters on the disks (which corespond more to the scenes in the movie) --- perhaps a pdf that people could download, print out, and keep in the case.

In other words...

Disk Three
Section 1: White balance (Restaurant scene).
Section 2: Matte Box Filters (Beach Scene).
Section 3, Shotgun Audio (Park Scene). etc...

Please Note: This is not a criticism, just a sarcasm-free suggestion. ;-)

jmanko said:
Well, I've been following this site off/on for a little bit now, mostly keeping to myself. I've been reading a lot (on these forums and books); Though, I feel I still need more. So, I ordered the set. I was trying to fight off the tempation, since this is coming from my equipment budget, but now I can't wait to get it! Also, I added "DVXuser" to my comments on the payment. I hope that two-disc lighting set is still being thrown in. That was a key selling point for me. ;) Man, I love this site.Thanks.

Thank you jManko, your order has been received, shipping out Tuesday, sir. And yes, the two disc lighting set is still the DVXuser gift. For anyone else who's interested, there are still 8 hours of lighting practice on the 6DVD series, before you add the 2-disc set. The 2-disc set simply ups the total to 10 hours. :)

Rush said:
And yes, the two disc lighting set is still the DVXuser gift.

And how does one get the DVXUser gift? I placed my order but didn't see anyplace to enter a code or request a gift.

Dear fellow DVXUser members,

It has come to my attention that two of my earlier posts regarding the pen that comes with the "Digital Cinema Course" have been pulled by someone associated with the project. In a PM, I was accused of "sarcasm," being "uncivil," and being a "dick" --- despite my protestation on these boards about being completely sincere regarding my fondness for the pen. I was actually trying to make the point that the pen and paper were a really nice little touch (however inelegantly).

This all stems from the fact that I (earlier in this thread) had some legitimate criticism of the course. Since the course is not free, and people are spending their hard-earned money to purchase this product, I did not think myself out-of-line. My critique was not sarcastic or mean-spirited, and I even made the point that I would still recommend the course despite my misgivings on this one point.

This is my 366th post on these boards, and I have never used any kind of mean-spirited sarcasm to make my point. Indeed, I have always tried to be generous and helpful to others. I apologize publicly to Rush if I have hurt his feelings in any way. But, I would ask that we all give each other the benefit of the doubt until we are certain regarding a person's "dick" status.

How does this DVD set compare to the Hollywood Camera Work DVD set? I can manage getting only one of them at the moment. Any thoughts on what they have in common, what's different?

Darwinandpaine, if I were overly sensitive I would have pulled your critisicim not your comments on the pen. I just felt (And I wasn't the only one) that they unnecessarily made fun of Rush's product. I'm glad you apologized to him and if you truly ment those posts then I apologize for deleteing them, however as you stated the "Inelegance" of the posts led me to believe you were being a jerk about your statements.
Let's end this here shall we?
E.

I have both, and I think it depends on your level of experience and what you are weekest at. I think Rush's course would be great for newbies. It's broad in it's scope and if you're looking to learn about lighting and grip stuff, there's a lot in there to recommend.

The Hollywood Camera Work course is very narrow in it's scope. There's nothing there on lighting at all --- just camera work (crossing the line, lenses to use and what for, the emotional impact of using dollies and jibs, blocking, etc...) It's a very good course, but the problem is, if you don't know how to light for the kinds of scenes and blocking they teach you, then you're screwed. Plus, a lot of what they show you assumes a very controlled environment (a studio, really). There's also nothing on there about audio, make-up, grip-work, etc... These are all things covered in Rush's course.

Also, some people don't like the computer generated actors. I think it's great because it shows how much impact certain camera moves can have even when the actors are totally reactionless. But, if you need a really broad course covering ALMOST everything (there's nothing on music, for instance), then you'd probably be better off with the "Digital Cinema Course."

Cause someone says they aren't imressed with a short peice of film, they're being a jerk? Or that you're being honest? Honesty means your a jerk?

evinsky said:
Darwinandpaine, if I were overly sensitive I would have pulled your critisicim not your comments on the pen. I just felt (And I wasn't the only one) that they unnecessarily made fun of Rush's product. I'm glad you apologized to him and if you truly ment those posts then I apologize for deleteing them, however as you stated the "Inelegance" of the posts led me to believe you were being a jerk about your statements.
Let's end this here shall we?
E.

No harm, no foul.

BenB said:
Cause someone says they aren't imressed with a short peice of film, they're being a jerk? Or that you're being honest? Honesty means your a jerk?

In all fairness to Evin, I can definitely see in retrospect how my comments regarding the pen could have been taken as sarcasm. I would have hoped that my clarifications to "Unfiltered" would have cleared that up.

But since Evin is so closely affiliated with the product, I would ask you to give him the same "benefit of the doubt" that I was looking for.

kecorcoran said:
And how does one get the DVXUser gift? I placed my order but didn't see anyplace to enter a code or request a gift.

Hi Kcorcoran, you, as well as all DVXusers are automatically enrolled into it. :) The gift will be finished in the next couple of week, alongside the manual, and it will ship to you for free.

BenB said:
How does this DVD set compare to the Hollywood Camera Work DVD set? I can manage getting only one of them at the moment. Any thoughts on what they have in common, what's different?

Hollywood camera work is JUST camera work. No lighting or anything else. It's very detailed and contains a ton of good ideas. It's a little dry and boring - but it's probably the most thorough treatment of setting up shots and moving the camera I've seen.

Using simple animated characters actually works well because you see how simply moving the camera in certain ways effects you emotionally as a viewer despite the "actors" literally doing nothing. It's a good filmmaking lesson.

I've been watching my DVD and I love it. I've learned so much about lighting already and it great to see the difference that different levels of fill

mochouinard said:
I havent received it yet !!! :(
Hi Mochouinard, yours was sent the same day as everyone else's (Monday), but it was the only one they wouldn't allow us to put Delivery Confirmation on, because it was leaving the country to goto Canada... Sorry, I can't track it. They said about a week, but it has been longer. Is there anyway you can check with customs or your Canadian Post office branch? Email me dvdrush@sbcglobal.net and we'll see what we can do. :)

SilverWolf said:
I've been watching my DVD and I love it. I've learned so much about lighting already and it great to see the difference that different levels of fill

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback Silverwolf. Wait till you get the Special Situations DVD. :thumbsup: It really beefs up the Basic Production DVD tenfold. And y'all get it free, just for liking Jarred's site. :) Work is progressing on that as we speak, along with the manual.

Opcode, nice seeing you at Cinegear today!

rush, I'm trying to gather enough money to buy your set. Assuming I manage, how soon will you mail out the next batch?

BTW, as for your garuantee, I've very interested in your lighting content, if after all 6 hours, if I honestly believe I didn't get anything out of it, will you refund me? I ask because im a stuggling student and can't waste cash on dvds covering material I already know (which has happened recently).

Hi CS, yes I will. First, because I believe in the power of the Course with all my heart. Second, I'll take a risk on you, because you are taking a risk on me. :)
“The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare.
The sure-thing boat never gets far from the shore.”
-Dale Carnegie

Rush said:
Hi Mochouinard, yours was sent the same day as everyone else's (Monday), but it was the only one they wouldn't allow us to put Delivery Confirmation on, because it was leaving the country to goto Canada... Sorry, I can't track it. They said about a week, but it has been longer.

Let me just chime in here -- Canada is by far the slowest country to deliver orders, in my experience. I send all international orders via USPS Global Priority Mail. If I were to send one to Canada, and one to Germany, both on the same day, the German one will get there in typically about 4 days, the Canada order usually takes upwards of 12 days(!) Sometimes 14.

I can't explain it, but I can verify that it's true. So, everyone from Canada, please be patient; for some reason it just takes a long time for orders to wend their way through the USPS->Canada Customs->Canadian Postal System->Your House.

Let me just chime in here -- Canada is by far the slowest country to deliver orders, in my experience.

Me too! I purchased my AVID XPress Pro from a vendor in Canada. I saved three hundred bucks but it took SIX WEEKS to deliver it to me. And like Mochouinard, I was not able to track it, even though I had a tracking number.

Back