Is my HVX obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mainstreetprod View Post
    I have rethought selling my HVX to get a 200A or 170. I ran across a set of scene files that when implemented, have made me MUCH happier with the footage I am getting.
    That, combined with making sure things are well lit. To me, it just doesn't make sense right now to sell my camera for $2000 and spend $4000 more to replace the camera and the accessories that now won't fit (assuming I get the 170). All to get a noise improvement that will never be noticeable on the web, where 90% of my stuff goes.
    I'm waiting till my HVX dies- which, with a solid state camera, could be a long time. My VX-1000 DV camera lasted over 10 years! Also, in a year or two 200a's and 170's may be selling for 3K or so, especially when the latest greatest new one comes out.

Well, I posted the above in '09, bought the AF100, sold it, still have the HVX , it still works perfectly and clients who aren't looking for a specific camera still love the footage. Still waiting for it to die. It may outlast me!
    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

Comment

Yep, we have three and they do 50% of the work, the other 50% is all DSLR.

Comment

Is it obsolete? Yes.

The more important question... does it still make you money? If the answer is "Yes", then whether or not it's obsolete is irrelevant.

Comment

the only time i notice my HVX is obselete is when i shoot video with my canon DSLR with a 50mm f/1.8. it makes my HVX look like it was owned by Fred Flintstone.
          someone else made an interesting point. post production is everything nowadays. if i can get clean 1080 or 720 footage then i'm 90% on my way. i'm loaded with adobe premiere pro, after effects and sony vegas 12 with tons of plugins.

P2 will never die !!!

Comment

A friend of mine with a borrowed TV Station camera ( Philippines ). Photo taken only a few months ago...

Comment

Where can I get those scene files?

Comment

It's not obsolete because I can still get mine to match other newer cleaner video (not shallow dof dslr) cams by simply adding a little Neat Video denoiser plug in, some sharpening and a little bit of a luma curves filter and we're good to go. This is all the easier by adding the filters to an adjustment layer in Premier Pro over the whole thing. Yes, a bit more leg work but hard pressed to tell the difference on the web or less than huge tv's.
                Last edited by Poco; 08-03-2013, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Oh yes, I have been hanging with my HVX200 since 2006. I also use GH2 and now just bought the BMCC MFT after the price drop. I will use the HVX
                  for some legacy clients but that is about it. I have also been renting it out. I will keep it until it quits working and then move on.

Comment

I'll tell you what -- HVX BootCamp DVDs still go out the door, so someone's still out there using HVXs.
                    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

August 3, 2013... still a popular choice with TV Stations

Comment

Originally posted by EDV View Post
                        August 3, 2013... still a popular choice with TV Stations
                        What TV stations are still shooting 4:3? I'm guessing only the smaller ones without budgets to upgrade. I'd highly reccommend to anyone thinking about shooting 4:3 on a HVX b/c it takes less P2 card space to instead shoot 720NP30. It is only 50mbps, so you can get over 2 hours on a 64GB card, if you shoot 4:3 safe you can crop the picture for broadcast, but have a 16:9 HD master for future proofing.
                        Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

Comment

A lot of TV content is still 4:3, especially on cable. It's not a matter of budget... in some countries, most people haven't upgraded to flat widescreens, so I guess it makes sense to use 4:3 sometimes. Regardless, this thread isn't about aspect ratio... the Pannys are still being used as you saw in the photo.

Comment

obsolete is perhaps not the question, as use case plays a large role.

If you want to make stuff that has a desired aesthetic or a filmic look, or you're a freelancer/enthusiast/hobbyist I would say the HVX is pretty to close to obsolete aesthetically. But you probably already know that if you have seen content shot on newer cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                              If you want to make stuff that has a desired aesthetic or a filmic look, or you're a freelancer/enthusiast/hobbyist I would say the HVX is pretty to close to obsolete aesthetically.
                              I have to disagree here filmguy. The HVX / HPX is known for its "filmic" look ( even without a 35mm adapter ) Countless TV ads and music videos and even some Films can credit this. I have seen the latest and greatest from budget Pro cameras, and they look a bit too sharp to my eyes. I can't recall 35mm film being that sharp? CCDs vs CMOS I guess, but I like the richer colors of CCDs... especially in 4:2:2 , which by the way, is still broadcast standard.
                              Last edited by EDV; 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

The HVX has the Panasonic mojo. It has it, the DVX had it. That will never be obsolete.
                                LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X