Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good P2 Card Reader?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Good P2 Card Reader?

    Is there a Firewire or USB card-slot out there that I can hook up to my Mac Pro instead of always having to use my HVX to transfer footage. Could anyone recommend a good (and as cheap as possible!) solution that works with P2 cards?

    #2
    There are none.
    David S.



    Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

    Comment


      #3
      I've been trying to find something like this PCI to PCMIA adapter but with more bandwith.
      Life, Love, Liberty
      DVX100a PowerMac G5

      Comment


        #4
        Won't work with a MacPro
        David S.



        Accept No Imitations.
        www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
        and...
        www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
        Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by FUBARFilms View Post
          Is there a Firewire or USB card-slot out there that I can hook up to my Mac Pro instead of always having to use my HVX to transfer footage. Could anyone recommend a good (and as cheap as possible!) solution that works with P2 cards?
          There are many readers, but none that could be classified as "cheap". The PCD10, PCD20, P2 Gear, P2 Store, P2 Mobile and the cameras themselves can all be hooked to your Mac Pro to transfer footage.

          Of those, the cheapest would probably be a used P2 Store.

          There is no such thing as a cheap firewire or USB reader, nor will there ever likely be such.

          Actually, the very cheapest way would be to get an inexpensive Windows laptop with the slot, and network it to your Mac Pro.
          ..
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
            There are many readers, but none that could be classified as "cheap". The PCD10, PCD20, P2 Gear, P2 Store, P2 Mobile and the cameras themselves can all be hooked to your Mac Pro to transfer footage.

            Of those, the cheapest would probably be a used P2 Store.

            There is no such thing as a cheap firewire or USB reader, nor will there ever likely be such...

            Barry,

            I just saw this yesterday, and wondered if it would work.

            http://www.quatech.com/pdf/u142-e.pdf

            It's a USB pcmcia input device
            Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left...

            Comment


              #7
              No device like that can or ever will work. If it worked with P2, it'd say it. I've bought devices like that and been through the ringer, and it's just pointless to even try anymore.

              Like I say, if it worked with P2, it'd say so.
              ..
              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

              Comment


                #8
                FUBAR, Zander & Hornet,
                I have a P2 store I'm about to put on eBay. PM me if you are interested.
                Jim

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'll throw another out there: link

                  Says it works for P2.


                  Originally posted by Jim Carswell View Post
                  FUBAR, Zander & Hornet,
                  I have a P2 store I'm about to put on eBay. PM me if you are interested.
                  Jim
                  I won't be switching to the P2 workflow until this fall but thanks anyway.
                  Life, Love, Liberty
                  DVX100a PowerMac G5

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I use a Duel adapter for my macbook pro. It's cheap and it works great.. maybe they make something for the mac pro..

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Zander View Post
                      I'll throw another out there: link

                      Says it works for P2.



                      I won't be switching to the P2 workflow until this fall but thanks anyway.
                      Won't work with a MacPro, unfortunately
                      David S.



                      Accept No Imitations.
                      www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
                      and...
                      www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
                      Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Zander View Post
                        I'll throw another out there: link

                        Says it works for P2.
                        Works on a G4/G5 Mac, not on the new PCIExpress Macs.

                        For those wanting to work with a Mac Pro (which is all PCIExpress), you could maybe get along by using this and this together? At $130 total, that's cheap enough for someone to justify trying, right?

                        Or just choke down the price and get a working PCD20 and use FW800.
                        ..
                        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by David S. View Post
                          Won't work with a MacPro, unfortunately
                          I'm running a G5 right now but we'll see what computer I have once I get my hands on the HPX-170.

                          Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                          For those wanting to work with a Mac Pro (which is all PCIExpress), you could maybe get along by using this and this together? At $130 total, that's cheap enough for someone to justify trying, right?
                          I'd do it. Come time for me to upgrade to P2 and a Mac Pro I'll give it a shot and tell you guys how it goes. That is of course assuming no one else does it before then or a better solution doesn't surface.
                          Last edited by Zander; 04-21-2008, 03:12 PM.
                          Life, Love, Liberty
                          DVX100a PowerMac G5

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                            Works on a G4/G5 Mac, not on the new PCIExpress Macs.

                            For those wanting to work with a Mac Pro (which is all PCIExpress), you could maybe get along by using this and this together? At $130 total, that's cheap enough for someone to justify trying, right?

                            Or just choke down the price and get a working PCD20 and use FW800.
                            I have a PCIe Quad G5. Is the "PCIe" in my Quad the same as the Mac Pros? Or is there some difference in protocols between the G5 PCIe and the Mac Pro PCIe ?

                            I'd love to have an alternative to my current routine, which is: download via Duel adapter to FW drive via MBP, copy from drive over to desk top work station...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Barry,

                              Is the transfer rate much faster using the PCD20 drive than the camera ?

                              Rob

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X