Discovery HD commissions HVX200s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery HD commissions HVX200s

Okay, amidst all the other press releases out there, I think one of 'em may have snuck below the radar, but upon reading it, I think this may actually be rather huge:

Award-winning television production company Original Productions (Burbank, CA) recently documented the exhilarating and grueling 1,150-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race with 21 AG-HVX200 P2 HD handheld camcorders. A six-part series profiling the exploits of eight mushers (including the race winner Lance Mackey) will air on the Discovery Channel in the fourth quarter of this year.

Okay, so follow me on this: Discovery, the channel that has the most stringent requirements of any cable or broadcast network, has just hired Original Productions to produce a show for them that was shot on HVX200s. You see what this means, right?

Original is no small player.
    Original Productions, founded by CEO and Executive Producer Thom Beers in 1999, is known for the hit Discovery Channel series Monster Garage, Monster House, Biker Build-Off and the Primetime Emmy-nominated Deadliest Catch
    ... Original’s list of hit shows on the air also includes Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men for History, as well as production of a forthcoming prime-block for NBC.

So this huge company that supplies massive amounts of programming told Discovery that they wanted to shoot an HD series, and they wanted to use nothing but HVX200s (21 of them, in fact) and Discovery APPROVED IT!
    Original Productions fielded a crew of 19 in Alaska, including seven camera operators, three field producers and three associate producers, all armed with an HVX200 (the rest of the cameras were used for pick-up shots and back-up)... The production shot in 720pN mode, which fully utilized the recording capacity of scores of 32GB P2 cards.

And, get this bit:
    The series (as yet untitled) will comprise six one-hour episodes. Original Productions will edit the production on Avid Adrenalines, and the deliverable to Discovery will be on a hard drive.

Delivery on a hard drive?! No more requirement that it be delivered on tape? Awesome!

I don't know if this means that Discovery has officially approved the HVX200 for unlimited acquisition, but it certainly seems to be promising. And eliminating the tape delivery requirement opens the floodgates for a lot more tapeless productions without incurring massive expenses to dub all the footage over to tape.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

That IS impressive, especially since the Discovery Producer's Specs, before this announcement anyway, stated that the HVX would only be accepted for 10-15% of an HD program.

Wow.
    Matt Gottshalk
    Director of Production
    BPI.tv

Comment

BTW Barry, do you have a link for that?

Thanks man.
      Matt Gottshalk
      Director of Production
      BPI.tv

Comment

Barry,

This is most excelent news

Maybe they will take a look at my storm / tornado doc when I'm done. It's kinda like a "Planet Storm"... I have captured some increadible images on this camera and can tweak it so well 99% of viewers would NOT be able to tell it apart from a varicam...

I was going to rent a varicam or RED but had to go with the HVX 200 to get the action run and gun style shots I wanted. I could never make this doc with a camera bigger than the hvx200...

Comment

Originally posted by mcgeedigital View Post
          BTW Barry, do you have a link for that?
          Er, yeah, link... sorry guys, forgot that!

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...02008013436428
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Wow, 800 hours of footage!!!

I'll bet not one frame was dropped!

Comment

I told you guys they donīt care if they like the material.

Frank
              frankglencairn.wordpress.com
              http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

sigpic

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Postmaster View Post
                I told you guys they donīt care if they like the material.
                Yeah, but here's the difference: Discovery COMMISSIONED this project, unless I'm totally wrong. They knew full well that it was going to be shot 100% on HVX200s and they funded it and are airing it. So it's not a case of "shoot on a cheaper camera behind their back", it's a situation where Discovery said "sure, go ahead, use it."

Comment

The HVX shoots beautiful images and the more the big guys see from it the more accepted it’ll become. They always want see to believe and lots of very impressive and high end material from it is getting out there.

Comment

That is very impressive if that is for a commissioned show. As a matter of fact, that is groundbreaking, I don't think that Discovery has ever commissioned a show on the HVX only, although I think that almost all of Deadliest Catch is on Z1s, which don't look nearly as good as the HVX either.

Perhaps the tide is turning and us poor producers won't have to spend $30,000.00 to $60,000.00 to buy a suitable camera for television.

Dan
                    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
                    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

By the way, did Fuji, I believe it was, announced their P2s?

Comment

Yes they did.
                        William Robinette

Comment

Quote:
                          Original Productions fielded a crew of 19 in Alaska, including seven camera operators, three field producers and three associate producers, all armed with an HVX200 (the rest of the cameras were used for pick-up shots and back-up)... The production shot in 720pN mode, which fully utilized the recording capacity of scores of 32GB P2 cards.

So I'm guessing 720pN with a 30p frame rate and HD Norm for a video look?

Not surprising for this project:

1. Solid state recording in the extreme environment (pN recording times good)
                          2. HVX200 already proven in that environment
                          3. 720 ok for HD TV

What really shows that producers are progressing in their thinking is the "acceptance" of hard drive delivery. Soon it will be a "requirement".

It is also a comfort to know that CONTENT IS KING, regardless of the technological hurdles.
                          Last edited by Indywannabe; 04-17-2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

I think someone should make DVXuser shirts with the phrase... "Discovery thinks they're so original, we know we're unique" well it sounded a lot punnier when i thought of it!

Comment

I was reading DiscoveryHD's spec and it did say this:

720P Camera Masters:

720P material is acceptable, only with a pre-approved post production path and budget. Delivered Master must be at 1080 resolution. Footage may not be converted from 1080i to 720P for post and converted back to 1080i for mastering. We cannot allow multiple resolution changes on material. If you have an editorial need to use mixed resolutions, please discuss this with us.

Which means probably it is still under their 'standad specs' requirement.
                              Just another filmmaker living in Midwest that has gone full time with a nice studio www.mdifilm.com
                              oh... and winning a bunch of awards...

Comment

Working...
                              X