Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good, significant upgrade from an HVX?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What is a good, significant upgrade from an HVX?

    I'd like to get some opinions on what a significant upgrade from an HVX200a would be with all of the following things in mind:

    1.) I'm a long time Panasonic camera user and like the familiarity I have with the controls. For example, going from DVX100b to HVX200a was a breeze. I would much prefer to not have to re-learn everything on an entirely new camera.

    2.) I liked the fixed lens of the HVX. I'm just not a "lens guy". I'd prefer not to have to keep changing out lenses. Lenses confuse me. I like the simplicity of the fixed lens.

    3.) I already have P2 cards and don't like the idea of having to ditch them for another memory card.

    4.) I'm not wild about DSLR's. I don't like how small they are, and all the attachments that are needed for them. I'm not interested in that kind of investment.

    So with all that being said, what would be a very noticeably significant upgrade from the HVX200a?

    Thanks!

    #2
    HPX250 would be a huge step up, while remaining largely familiar. The PX270 is an even bigger jump up, but it's quite a bit more complex. DVX200 would be the large-sensor upgrade path, but it doesn't use P2 cards, it uses SDXC memory cards.
    ..
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

    Comment


      #3
      SDXC cards are so dirt cheap, easy to buy and use, that I wouldn't let that hold you back from considering the Panasonic DVX200 seriously.
      Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
      Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

      Comment


        #4
        What would be the most significant difference between the HVX, HPX250, HPX270, & DVX200? To the layperson will one see a significant difference in picture quality with each step up in camera?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by bigox View Post
          1.) I'm a long time Panasonic camera user and like the familiarity I have with the controls. For example, going from DVX100b to HVX200a was a breeze. I would much prefer to not have to re-learn everything on an entirely new camera.
          Familiarity is nice, but what were you using before the HVX? I'm sure it was different. I wouldn't write off another camera just because it might take a few days to learn where the buttons are.

          Originally posted by bigox View Post
          2.) I liked the fixed lens of the HVX. I'm just not a "lens guy". I'd prefer not to have to keep changing out lenses. Lenses confuse me. I like the simplicity of the fixed lens.
          Fair enough. There are some fixed lens options out there, but keep in mind that they will be forever limited.
          Originally posted by bigox View Post
          3.) I already have P2 cards and don't like the idea of having to ditch them for another memory card.
          I have crates of Hi-8 and DV tape. I don't miss them at all compared to the ease and reliability of modern cards. P2's days are all but over so I wouldn't be so attached to them.
          Originally posted by bigox View Post
          4.) I'm not wild about DSLR's. I don't like how small they are, and all the attachments that are needed for them. I'm not interested in that kind of investment.
          I hear ya! There are much better options these days. You can get the same type of shallow depth of field look from full function video cameras these days without needing a second mortgage.
          Originally posted by bigox View Post
          So with all that being said, what would be a very noticeably significant upgrade from the HVX200a?
          Just about anything.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by bigox View Post
            What would be the most significant difference between the HVX, HPX250, HPX270, & DVX200? To the layperson will one see a significant difference in picture quality with each step up in camera?
            HVX200 is 2005-era technology, and produces comparatively low-res pictures. But it's a CCD, has no rolling shutter issues, and lots of people loved it at the time.

            HPX250 is a much newer camera, much sharper images, and lots more image control.
            PX270 is the same basic camera as the HPX250, but with much much more control.

            DVX200 is a 4K camera, so it's vastly higher resolution than the others. And it has a much larger sensor, about 16x larger than the other cameras. It has about as much controllability as a HPX250, not quite as much as the PX270 but almost. DVX200 can make shallow-DOF pictures that the other ones can't.
            ..
            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks this is very informative.
              Is there anything the HPX250 cannot do that would turn a lot of people off to it compared to other cameras in that price range?

              Comment


                #8
                i feel like i remember researching it and hearing it had some major lens issues...holding focus or stopping down too far at the tele end, or something. google around for it.
                My camera work

                Youtube Channel

                Comment


                  #9
                  Anyone else have any issues with the HPX250 that makes them prefer another camera? And would everyone expect the price of the HPX250 to drop once the DVX200 is out?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by bigox View Post
                    Anyone else have any issues with the HPX250 that makes them prefer another camera? And would everyone expect the price of the HPX250 to drop once the DVX200 is out?
                    I decided to buy a PX270 instead of the HPX250 a few months ago. Reasons are:

                    The two big limitations on the HPX250 for my money are the lack of 1080p60 and the absence of the long-GOP AVC Ultra recording formats, which give higher quality at equivalent bitrates than the AVC Intra codecs (if your NLE is up to dealing with them).

                    The OLED viewfinder on the PX270 is an excellent upgrade.

                    The PX270 has a true, infinitely variable speed zoom rocker that makes it easier to do very slow, subtle zooms while shooting; I use this style a fair amount in my work.

                    With the current $750 rebate, the two cameras are only about $500 apart in price. You do have to wait a couple of months to get your money back!

                    As Barry says, the PX270 has some pretty advanced options in its menus for every aspect of image quality and color. But you can ignore most of these until you are ready and need them, so it isn't necessarily any more complicated to get started with the camera.

                    The various forms of Internet connectivity for live streaming and proxy recording are features I will probably rarely use, but might be important in a newsgathering or live events situation.

                    The DVX200 will put downward pressure on the price of the AF100 and all the fixed lens handhelds, but it's the AC130 and AC160 that I expect will be affected most. The P2 cameras are aimed at a slightly different market segment.

                    - Greg

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I would without question go for the new DVX200. Great value for what you're getting and your investment will last longer because rid the newer tech. SDXC cards are cheap. Don't let that hold you back.
                      Nate Haustein

                      PXW-FX9 / FCPX

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Nate Haustein View Post
                        I would without question go for the new DVX200.
                        There is a lot going for the DVX200, but if you need, say, a long servo zoom, you get 13x w/ the DVX200 & 22x with the PX270. So, like so many things, really depends on what you're doing & what you need.
                        Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Greg hit it perfectly. I recently upgraded from the Hpx170 which is similar to the Hvx200a. What a huge improvement in everything: better codec, better lens, a wealth of controls, just too much to list. Not to be corny, but the 270 may be the best handycam ever. Panny might have used larger sensors, maybe 1/2" but really the cam is plenty sensitive for me. My only real gripe is I wish it had 2 full size P2 slots.

                          Grant


                          Originally posted by Greg Smith View Post
                          I decided to buy a PX270 instead of the HPX250 a few months ago. Reasons are:

                          The two big limitations on the HPX250 for my money are the lack of 1080p60 and the absence of the long-GOP AVC Ultra recording formats, which give higher quality at equivalent bitrates than the AVC Intra codecs (if your NLE is up to dealing with them).

                          The OLED viewfinder on the PX270 is an excellent upgrade.

                          The PX270 has a true, infinitely variable speed zoom rocker that makes it easier to do very slow, subtle zooms while shooting; I use this style a fair amount in my work.

                          With the current $750 rebate, the two cameras are only about $500 apart in price. You do have to wait a couple of months to get your money back!

                          As Barry says, the PX270 has some pretty advanced options in its menus for every aspect of image quality and color. But you can ignore most of these until you are ready and need them, so it isn't necessarily any more complicated to get started with the camera.

                          The various forms of Internet connectivity for live streaming and proxy recording are features I will probably rarely use, but might be important in a newsgathering or live events situation.

                          The DVX200 will put downward pressure on the price of the AF100 and all the fixed lens handhelds, but it's the AC130 and AC160 that I expect will be affected most. The P2 cameras are aimed at a slightly different market segment.

                          - Greg

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X