My new Demo Reel

Looks good Jon. Real soft in some cases I almost couldn't tell its was in HD, but the content is cool. You're working hard and the Music was Hip. It's better than mine.

nice reel.
perfectly creative/artistic. nice length.
thought a lot of shots were soft too; seemed to be mostly the adapter shots.
great stuff though, inspires me to get off my butt and make a decent reel someday! =)

Jim-
your profile image looks like you're either shooting down a plane with a cannon or stargazing through a telescope! that is a looooong lens.

Thank you guys.

The softness is definitely due to the 35mm adapter… buncha glass. def what I was goin for though.

Thanks for the comments!

While I liked it, I didn't find myself really struck by it. Just as a question, who do you feel your audience for this is? The client, the producer, the director, the ad agency? It didn't give me a sense that you have done 'commercial' work, other than some really creative shots with special lens, etc. I can't say I have done any better, but that was my take on seeing the reel. As a comparison, I've seen reels, mainly over on Creative Cow, that really knocked my socks off, and that seemed to say, "I can make people stop and look at your product/service". That's what I guess I was thinking of. Hope this helps! It was all with the best of intentions!

Really nice. A good combination of camera looks and your skills filming people which is what most agencies are looking for.

Can I ask what lens adapter you used for the soft shots? I've been looking for one to get that same tone/feel. Great work by the way! I love how bright and happy some of your shots were.

Hey, thanks ya'll. I use a hollywooddof 35 adapter, which uses old school nikon manual focus lenses.

check their site:
hollywooddof.com

they're super cheap and really portable- I don't even have rails for it.
I just use my hand for support, as I rarely use a tripod if I'm shooting my own stuff, which is a majority of the time.

So you got the Nikon adapter, but did you get the achromat lens that comes with it or do you have your own lens that you use with it? I have no idea what the achromat does. Do you know what it does?

I bought the "HD" achromat.
The achromat limits spherical and chromatic aberration levels, "which limits any disturbance of the rays of a pencil of light such that they can no longer be brought to a sharp focus or form a clear image." -As wiki puts it.
In Laymen's terms- It limits the colors that distort unnaturally near the edges of the frame.

Back