Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVX300 with fixed / interchangeable lens and new sensor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVX300 with fixed / interchangeable lens and new sensor ?

With the imminent release of the GH5s
    what do you think are the chances we’ll see an updated
    DVX300 with fixed or interchangeable lens?
    Maybe based on the EVA1 body design and incorporating
    this new sensor?
    It looks like the GH5s will have the same body as
    the GH5 which means no built in ND’s and other
    features that make run and gun work easy.
    IMO making a much smaller fixed or interchangeable
    version of the DVX would make sense.
    Any thoughts or wishes for a new DVX300
    or whatever it’s called?

I don't think they will make it with interchangeable lens. They already have GH's and EVA for that. So it's fixed lens.
    New sensor, new electronics - sure. Even slightly different lens. New memory cards probably.
    Smaller? I doubt it's going to be much smaller - because of lens and overall ergonomics. Lighter? Well, again, the lens...

But if you think about such camera - the form-factor will be different for sure. More of EVA1, less features, less price.
    But yes, we will have a new one IMHO. By the end of 2018.
    But don't quote me on that

Comment

EVA1 is pretty much the next logical step up from DVX200, like going up from HVX100 to AF100 back-in-the-day. If there were a DVX300 or whatever, it would be an affixed-lens unibody camcorder like the other cameras in the family. It might do 10-bit 4:2:2 Intraframe 200-400Mbps internal, but I don’t think I’d want a sensor bigger than 4/3” on a videocamera. Maybe it’s natuve ISO could be 2000-ish. Maybe a fast constant aperture lens...maybe true parfocal. Maybe with full V-Log up to 14 stops. Maybe it’ll be black with red trim like EVA1. As it is and with all its faults, DVX200 is a pretty great camera.
      Jason R. Johnston
      Cinematographer • Videographer • Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
      instagram: jasonrjohnston

Comment

DVX200 is good, agreed. I already have computer storage problem with the files from UHD 60p Good, there's cloud storage.

Comment

I would be interested if these changes were made:

1) Reduce the lens to 10x and make it a constant f2.8 - 24mm to 240mm. Or at least f2.8 up to 100mm
          2) Offer AVC-Ultra 10bit codecs
          3) Reduce the body size to no larger than the PX-270. Right now the camera is too large for a lot of handheld work.
          4) Could be P2 if they wanted
          5) Charge more and give more. Get out of the prosumer range and move to the more pro level.

Comment

Why not EVA1 for more pro level? I tried it and it's pretty small

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
              5) Charge more and give more. Get out of the prosumer range and move to the more pro level.
              IDK; DVX200 is considered professional, not prosumer. The convention is probably more like this:

Consumer camcorders: <$1000
              Prosumer camcorders: $1000-$3000
              Professional camcorders: >$3000

Enthusiast cinema cameras: <$5000
              Entrepreneur/freelancer cinema cameras: $5000-$10000
              Professional cinema cameras: >$10000
              Elitist cinema cameras: >$40000
              Hollywood cinema cameras: rental only

“Guy with camera” cameras: <$500
              Jason R. Johnston
              Cinematographer • Videographer • Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
              instagram: jasonrjohnston

Comment

Yes, it is tough to put pricing in a box. I just think the camera makers are always conscious of not giving away the farm. When a camera gets priced at $5,000 it has more pro level features than cameras priced at $3,400. Imho the DVX200 suffers from this syndrome. It is not too far in either camp. I tried it out for a day and compared it to my $5,500 PX270 and the PX270 had a more refined image and stronger codecs. I even think the lens is better as the Leica had barrel distortion at the wide end.

I have always wanted the DVX200 to be better. It is not bad but I think it could be better. The GH5 ilk of sensor could offer improved images now if they improve the lens, body size and codecs the camera would take a large step forward . But these features would warrant a price increase.

Comment

I own a DVX200 and was contemplating selling it.
                  I still am but not until a reasonably priced and smaller
                  EVA1 sized version of the DVX200 with a better low light sensor and either a constant f2.8 or interchangeable MFT Mount is introduced (probably not going to happen).
                  I do feel the DVX200 customers have been short changed somewhat, as the GH5 has a better internal codec and low light options as it’s interchangeable.The DVX200 seems to have fallen between releases, and although it can produce great images in good light both the internal codec and low light ability IMO are the Achilles, especially in VLog. I for one do not want to add an external recorder to the DVX200, talk about carpel tunnel, this combination handheld would be like carrying bricks all day.
                  Saying that I grabbed it for a conference the other day.
                  True run and gun, one man band, one camera no time for a second or for setup, inside and out and it was brilliant. I didn’t even have time for manual focus and relied on the one push af and focus magnification and peaking and it worked like a charm. It’s great having a 4” LCD touchscreen (would love a 5” on any DVX300 for me it’s the perfect size)
                  Monitoring audio while grabbing low and high handheld shots no problem. I doubt I’d have been as confident using my GH5, although at the end of two hours I knew I was carrying
                  a DVX200 and not a GH5.
                  So is there a place for a DVX300, absolutely, just make it
                  the size of the EVA1, include the new GH5s sensor and recording options and give us a great fixed lens f2.8, oh yea and because we stuck with you,risking carpal tunnel in the process,offer a decent upgrade program.
                  Last edited by tillhavis; 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

great fixed lens f2.8 + GH5s sensor (if rumors are true) would be a game changer.

but I like DVX200 size, I easily put it on my shoulder...

Comment

I would be interested if these changes were made:

1) Reduce the lens to 10x and make it a constant f2.8 - 24mm to 240mm. Or at least f2.8 up to 100mm
                      2) Offer AVC-Ultra 10bit codecs
                      3) Reduce the body size to no larger than the PX-270. Right now the camera is too large for a lot of handheld work.
                      4) Could be P2 if they wanted
                      I mostly agree with all of this. Caveat--- I sold my DVX200 a few months ago because most everything I do now can be accomplished on my GH4, and with plans for a GH5 and a baby on the way, couldn't justify hanging on to both cameras (as much as I loved my DVX). That being said, the above specs would have swung it the other way and saw me selling my GH4 set-up.

A 10x lens isn't that far... but most stuff I was shooting that would have required a longer lens was being shot in 1080p. Stick a GH5 sized sensor in that thing, and with the image crop, you end up with a MUCH longer reach. I would have been willing to make that trade for a constant f/2.8... in fact, it seems like a no-brainer (YMMV).

Part of my decision to sell was that replacing the GH4 with GH5 gives me inexpensive 10bit 4:2:2... AVC-Ultra would have been awesome, but I would have been happy with the GH5's codecs.

I'm not sure you could have gone much smaller with a fixed, constant f/2.8 4/3 lens, even only a 10x. If they could have, cool. Just not sure if it's possible.

Comment

Yes, pure speculation on my part about the lens. But, when I look at my RX10 II, it has a 10x lens on a 1" sensor. Not that far away from m4/3rds and it is quite tidy. I just think the format and purpose of the camera kind of gets lost with an f4+ lens permanently mounted on it. Might as well use a 1" sensor with a smaller body.

Comment

But, when I look at my RX10 II, it has a 10x lens on a 1" sensor. Not that far away from m4/3rds and it is quite tidy.
                          Actually a 1" sensor is literally half the size of a 4/3rds sensor.
                          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Barry, do you think a 10x f2.8 fixed lens is a physical possibility? That lens would really change my view of the camera's capabilities.

Comment

I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear of a new model released around the same time as
                              the GH5s. If they don’t Panasonic will have dropped the ball.
                              A new DVX or whatever it’s called is the ideal broadcast, run and gun all round companion to both the GH5s and EVA1.
                              I just hope they shrink the hell out of it and make it a lot lighter while keeping the same inputs.
                              The EVA1 form factor should work well, plus a fixed lens would look cool on the body.
                              A f2.8 constant aperture parfocal lens would be the icing on the cake and would be sure to outsell the competition.
                              Along with the other features it would also justify the price difference between it and the GH5s.

With this update Panasonic would have covered all the basis
                              GH5s, DVX300, EVA1. If they can improve the AF on the GH5s with a faster readout (as good as, or better than the a6500) then
                              why look beyond Panasonic if you are already a customer, or even a potential one.
                              JMO
                              Last edited by tillhavis; 12-02-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X