NOOB question about V-Log L post workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOB question about V-Log L post workflow

All of the tutorials and articles I've seen about working with V-Log L (GH4, DVX200) involve applying a LUT to the edited timeline.

I cannot imagine editing the washed-out V-Log L footage, much less deciding which takes are "keepers" when a subsequently applied LUT might reveal an exposure problem in a take.

Also, I should think that the additional rendering needed by applying a LUT to an edited project would bog down all but the most powerful computers.

It seems to me you would want to apply a LUT while ingesting footage and then export to some sort of corrected intermediate (in my case, an appropriate version of ProRes), which you would then edit. But I haven't seen anyone recommending this approach (nor can FCPX do this, to my knowledge).

What am I missing here?

----

Bonus question:
    Resolve 12.5 and FCPX with Color Finale both offer the ability to "auto correct" footage containing the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Video in one of the shots. THAT is really attractive to a moron like me. Does this technology preclude the need for a LUT -- at least to get to a baseline for editing? (there are plenty of articles and forum posts where people recommend avoiding LUTs entirely -- except when grading to create a consistent "look", so I assume their use with V-Log L is open to question)

While others will provide you answers (I'm getting my head around VLOG too)

As a side note - FCPX 10.3 now has V-LOG processing built in - so no overhead for base LUTs now - you tell FCPX the footage is LOG and its V-LOG - and WYSIWYG!
    Rich
    -
    Underwater BMPCC4K and Lumix GH5/Atomos User

Comment

My basic workflow is prepro, shoot, ingest, edit, mix, color (where you apply the LUT and do your coloring), deliver.

You can certainly ingest your footage, apply your LUT and color, export the graded footage and import that footage into your editor and go from there. Or, you can round-trip by editing the footage, exporting the timeline into a grading software where you do the coloring and then take that back into the editor to tweak and export deliverables. Or, have a one-app solution where you can both edit and color at once on the same timeline in the same app. Apple's Final Cut Pro and Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve come to mind.

I use FCPX 10.2.3 which does not natively support Panasonic's V-log (Varicam) or V-log L (DVX200, GH4) at this time, though you may use another flavor of log-to-REC.709 it does support, such as Canon's C-log. Regardless, you still need to process your footage. For more precise controls there are a number of plug-ins available to grant FCPX the ability to assign LUTs and subsequently correct and grade footage. I use LUT Utility with FCPX's Color, or Color Finale Pro from Color Grading Central.

TL;DR
      Jason R. Johnston
      Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
      instagram: jasonrjohnston

Comment

So i've been using Color Finale and mLut to apply the LUTs and it takes quite a while to render in FCPX 10.2.3. I just tested my V-Log GH4 footage with the new FCPX 10.3 and when you use FCPX's "log Processing" it doesn't have to render!!!! What a time saver. I'm on an old 2011 MacBook Pro.
        ----------------------------

WORK: MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core, 64GB Ram, Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
        HOME: Macbook Pro i7 (2011), 16gb ram
        SOFTWARE: FCPX, FCP6, Compressor, DVDSP, Motion, After Effects, Lightwave 3D
        Cameras & Acc: Panasonic GH2, GH4, Ninja Blade, CameTV cage

Comment

Originally posted by sk810 View Post
          So i've been using Color Finale and mLut to apply the LUTs and it takes quite a while to render in FCPX 10.2.3. I just tested my V-Log GH4 footage with the new FCPX 10.3 and when you use FCPX's "log Processing" it doesn't have to render!!!! What a time saver. I'm on an old 2011 MacBook Pro.
          Yup. I just updated to 10.3, too. Amazing.
          Jason R. Johnston

Comment

Thank you to those who replied!

Articles like "Preparing Digital Camera Files" by Oliver Peters (scroll down to the section, "Processing media on location") indicate that I'm not alone wanting to eval and edit "de-logged" footage. In his article he mentions several products that let you grade while ingesting.

One program he doesn't mention is EditReady from Divergent Media. It can batch apply a LUT and output ProRes from all your camera media.

FCPX 10.3's new built-in log-processing feature may suffice but I haven't used it for a project yet. It's nice that it isn't as processing-intensive as a LUT applied as an Effect, but it's a one-size-fits all alternative to a LUT. If you're using only one model camera that may work. It may even yield a baseline grade suitable for fine-grading later. I don't know yet.

Can you disable the built-in log-processing near the end of editing, and revert the timeline contents back to V-LOG L? This would allow you to more carefully grade the final edit, which is critical if you want to mix footage from different model cameras.

Since I plan on working with footage from a DVX200 and a GH4 my concern is to ensure I have matching footage before I spend a bunch of time editing, so I think I would rather transcode and pre-match the footage to a baseline grade.

But I'm still studying and experimenting.

Again, thank you to all who contribute their experience and advice.

Comment

You can override FCPX timeline-based log processing on an individual clib basis if you like. Then grade with color or whatever. Also, I mentioned the excellent plugin Color Finale.
              Jason R. Johnston

Comment

Working...
              X