Real World Digital Video (Book Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real World Digital Video (Book Review)

I was just watching TechTV (ok, so I'm a geek), and they had the authors on the show describing the book which includes a DVD with example footage.  They have samples of different lighting and different frame rates, including 24p.
      They also had a DVX100 with them on the show.  They raved about the camera and much of the footage samples they built the DVD with were shot with it.  It turns out that Panasonic can't build them fast enough.  They said that independent film makers are flocking to this camera.  As a brief aside, I think the grabs from "The Contract" are much nicer, but the book clips are well lit and illustrate the differences in frame rate and lighting very clearly.
      Now, I have not seen the book yet so I don't know how much info is dedicated to the DVX100.  As soon as I find the book I will let you  know.  If someone else finds it first, feel free to post a mini-review.

Best regards,
    ScreechingHalt Productions
    Most lenses and most cameras are better than most photographers.

Re: Real World Digital Video (book preview)

This book is a perfect example of something that sounds like a great concept, had great marketing with an appearance on TV and turns out to be .... nearly useless.

In 434 pages this book tries to cover all aspects of DV technology, cinamatography, lighting, directing - you name it.  It necessarily glances off each topic like a bullet striking an M1 Abrahms battle tank.  I did not open the DVD for two reasons.  First, the book indicated that it had some sample footage clips and a bunch of demo software.  Judging by the tremendous depth of insight provided in the printed book, I took a guess that this would be less than revealing.  Second, I plan to return the book tomorrow.

The Television spot was extremely misleading, the DVX100 is not mentioned at all in the text. These Bozos obviously were trying to ride the popularity of the camera to boost sales of their idiotic book. Yes, it has some essentially correct information, but it is instructive in only the most basic introductory fashion. If you know nothing about this industry, you might find it useful. Just don't expect a tutorial on how to light a scene, or different techniques for white balance.

Two thumbs down.  If I had more thumbs, they'd all be down.

Best regards,

Comment

lol I sure miss Marty, but it's good to see Jessica Corbin back.

Comment

Sorry, I don't get your references. I gather Jessica had a few sharp words occasionally, and who is Marty?

Best regards,

Comment

Martin Seargent... they are both from screensavers. I saw tech tv and it rang bells, as its on pretty much 10 hours a day here till the misses gets home

Comment

oh yes, of course. Martin Seargent is running the late night show called "Unscrewed" isn't he? Tech TV is a curious mix of great stuff and incredible drek. Over-all there is enough geek charm to keep me coming back.

Best regards,

Comment

Working...
            X