Number of DVX-100's in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of DVX-100's in the world?

Anyone have any idea how many DVX-100's are out there in use? What the production run has been for Panasonic?

Thanks.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002974/

Re: Number of DVX-100's in the world?

I'd like to know as well. I believe the production numbers are kept secret. I don't know if they've ever been made public. My guess is somewhere around 100,000 worldwide, although that's only a wild guess and it could be half that or double that just as easily.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

wow we gotta get all those as members

Comment

I have two. If we post our own numbers here . . . ;D
        LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

>too much competition >

I guess is good for Pannasonic

myspace.com/unixstudios add me
          Unix@U2.com

Comment

Well the only number I ever actually heard was 10,000 at LAST year's DV EXPO West (a year ago), and that was from some NLE rep trying to explain why they didn't have native Panasonic 24P support.

I called bogus on him because there seemed to be about that many AT THE SHOW at the time. This is one of those posts where you'd love to hear from Jan but know she probably won't and can't give you an answer...

Comment

[quote author=rbilsbor link=board=nws;num=1104515305;start=0#5 date=01/03/05 at 21:09:53]Well the only number I ever actually heard was 10,000 at LAST year's DV EXPO West (a year ago), and that was from some NLE rep trying to explain why they didn't have native Panasonic 24P support.[/quote]

Pinnacle? Idiots.
              LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

I'd expect that no one at Panasonic (that may be reading these forums on a regular basis...ahem, ahem) would quote real numbers as to the number of units sold or shipped...but perhaps we could figure out how large they think the actual market is.

Of the pro-am miniDV market, I'd expect the DVX to have a respectable 30-40% share of the total market.

Comment

wow - you think that high?
                  [/COLOR] ~ I can't change who I am - Don't ask ~

Comment

I don't know...that's really optomistic for a camera that hasn't been out that long, but then again...I see them EVERYWHERE. I expect canon still dominates the market with the XL/GL series, mostly because of legacy users out there, and until recently, the PD150 is one of the only "proam" cameras you'd see on a broadcast production.

I'm guessing the DVX is somewhere around 30% of the total market for $2500+ cameras.

Wild guess.

Very wild.

Comment

I'd say less, unless you remove all corporations--certainly corporate and government video-type places all seem to have PD-150/170s, and I don't think those companies have as much visibility. Whereas the DVX dominates the indy filmmaker/MTV market, which you probably see a lot more (both in person and on-screen) disproportionately. Also the PD150/170 are in use by a lot of news organizations like the BBC... I think Sony knows their market and are doing fine. The same can be said for the DVX...

Comment

[quote author=J_Barnes link=board=nws;num=1104515305;start=0#9 date=01/04/05 at 13:34:45]I'm guessing the DVX is somewhere around 30% of the total market for $2500+ cameras.
                        [/quote]

Are you saying that the entire market is 2500 cameras? +- a smidge? That wouldn't pay for the R & D. ;-)

And you guys are right, I like my job and cannot say how many.

Best,

Jan
                        Jan Crittenden Livingston
                        Panasonic System Communications Corporation
                        Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

Jan he meant the market for +2500$ cams not 2500 cams.

Comment

Okay, so that is what was confusing as the DVX is not a $2500 camera the AG-DVC30 is. The DVX is in the $3500 category. Yeah I know there was a $ sign but it just didn't click. ;-)

Best,

Jan
                            Jan Crittenden Livingston
                            Panasonic System Communications Corporation
                            Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

Jan, on the Sony section of this site you said "yes we will have a low cost DVCPROHD solution as a countermeasure to HDV.  I can't say any more than that."

This line did grab a few people's attention on that particular thread but it soon drifted on to other things.

But wow, this sounds like BIG NEWS... your little aside has answered a big question... of course it raises many more - you're such a tease.  

If only we knew how long to wait.  I'm starting on a 16:9 project soon and just sold my DVX... love the camera, love the gamma and progressive features, but I don't want to use the anamorphic and I don't want to crop so I'm going with the competition.

Now you're dangling a little carrot out there... well, it's great to hear anyway, even if you can't provide any timeframe... DVCPROHD progressive will be the way to go, and if you can put P2 into the mix that will really put the squeeze on Sony.

Good of you for dropping by this site so often with a manufacturer's perspective - keep it up  

Comment

Working...
                              X