This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Authorized Dealers - Where to buy

[quote author=unix link=board=nws;num=1091645002;start=135#140 date=11/10/04 at 23:59:59]oh...ok

let's see EVS form Glendale CA?
    I'm gonna have to pay Cali taxes?......nah
    it comes to $3600 something.....nah
    [/quote]

Aktshooalleee.... ;D

With the DVXuser discount, including taxes, paid on Credit card it comes down to about $3394. Cash brings it down another notch, since we don't have to pay the Credit card fee. I know it is still more expensive than ordering from out of state and not paying tax at all, but if you are able to drive down to Glendale, you can take the DVX out of the box, inspect it, run some tape through it, see if there are any errors, and if you have any problems, I will give you another one right then and there. Heck I'll even give you a stamp to send in your registration card ;) Most of our customers feel that tax is simply a small bump in the road in light of being able to drive up and inspect the product before they buy it. That is why I usually pay full retail at CompUSA for computer parts, rather than order online, as much as I love Newegg prices...

The Digital Cinema Course. 30+ hours of filmmaking instruction on 20 DVD Discs.
    DVXusers get a FREE Audio DVD. Our new Gear Guide teaches Arri, Bogen, Century,
    Cinetech, KinoFlo, MSE, EwaMarine, PAG, Cartoni, Chrosziel, Bebob,
    Nnoga, and Rosco, as well as Safe Renting Tips. To order click HERE .

MYSPACE - YOUTUBE - IMDb -

Comment

please don't tell me Panasonic is working on the DVX200ap-hd,etc
      just when I was finally ready to purchase my DVX > > > >
      Willoughby's has it now for $3,135.00

it would be like $258 just on taxes I can use that towards a bunch of other stuff

sorry EVS, I wish I had more money to spend

myspace.com/unixstudios add me
      Unix@U2.com

Comment

Naah it's just $100 flat for taxes, our base price is just higher to cover our high customer service standards. ;D You use a special form called the "6378 tax discount form", fully legal, and gives California residents 5% off any product that can be used for production. I email the form directly to the customer, and they fill it out and email it back to me. ;) If you pickup, there's no shipping charge, and even if we ship in Cali, it's just $20 for UPS overnight.

It's cool, though, you can still call us for tripods and such things if you like, those get taxed like $9 for a $300 tripod, and UPS ground in Cali is cheaper than Fedex from other states. It is beyond me why those guys charge $109 for 3-day service and $179 for overnight when B&H and EVS charge $35 for 3-day and $65 for overnight. Go figure... I guess for the same reason they charge $350 for an extended 4-year warranty when B&H and EVS charge $180...

Comment

Hey, guys
          Does anyone know if Abe's of Maine is an authorized dealer; it looks like they have the lowest price for the dvx w/the magic bullet software.
          As far as authorized dealers go; I think that Willoughby's has the lowest price. Does anyone have any exp. dealing w/them?
          If I order from them do I have to pay the NY state tax?

If so, then I think that EVS might be the way to go bcuz I don't have to pay any sales tax. I wonder if Rush would price match Willoughby's?

Thanks, guys

Comment

EVS is the way to go no matter what -- they're an authorized, legit, honest dealer with impeccable service and they support us here on this board.

Abe's is not an authorized reseller, and while Willoughby's is authorized, they engage in some of the same questionable practices as the scam shops (re: selling Digital Optics lenses for enormously inflated prices, etc). And you'd have to pay sales tax.

Call Rush and ask him how well he could do for you, but definitely give EVS a shot at your business.
            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

[quote author=jkc123 link=board=nws;num=1091645002;start=150#153 date=12/07/04 at 08:37:44] If so, then I think that EVS might be the way to go bcuz I don't have to pay any sales tax.  I wonder if Rush would price match Willoughby's?[/quote]
              Thanks Barry. Hi jkc123, please send me an email and let me what you need, even if it's just the camera. I will give it my best shot. Just as a side note, B&H, the biggest baddest and most reputable dealer on the East coast, has never lowered their DVX price below $3499. That kind of gives you an idea where a dealer's price ought to be for the camera. EVS's advertised price is down to $3399, and the DVXuser price is $100 lower than that, and until Dec.31st, you get free freight. Essentially, we profit $20 from the sale of a camera, and "hope" that through excellent service, a customer returns and buys accessories and tape, which keep our company alive. It is the difference between "hoping" and "forcing" a customer that distinguishes us from other dealers. ;) We don't call people back after they order a camera online, and "force" them to buy a bigger kit with tons of cheap crap for $1600, or else the camera is "backordered for 6 weeks". With EVS, if you want just the camera, that's what you get. Fair price, good service, and we "hope" that you come back for more goodies. ;D That has always been the creed I was taught at EVS by the owners Cody and Shawn, and i think it will be the key to EVS's survival in a brutal market.

Comment

I know that with people like me you won't survive but, can you match Willoughby's price?

Unix@U2.com

Comment

Rush, got a question for you. If I buy another DVX can a friend come in and pick it up for me since I live out of state? That way he can check it out and he'll just bring it back when we do the shoot where I'm living now. Also do you still get Magic Bullet with it?

I could give that do a friend who wants it.

Comment

[quote author=unix link=board=nws;num=1091645002;start=150#156 date=12/08/04 at 19:44:07]I know that with people like me you won't survive but, can you match Willoughby's price?[/quote]
                    No Unix. Best of luck.

Comment

[quote author=Gary_McClurg link=board=nws;num=1091645002;start=150#157 date=12/08/04 at 19:58:56]Rush, got a question for you.  If I buy another DVX can a friend come in and pick it up for me since I live out of state?  That way he can check it out and he'll just bring it back when we do the shoot where I'm living now.  Also do you still get Magic Bullet with it?

I could give that do a friend who wants it.[/quote]
                      Hi Gary, I am sure that we can work it out, but send me a direct email so we don't tie up the boards, to rush@evsonline.com, and I will respond on Friday morning. I am still at the DVexpo West Thursday.

Comment

Profeel has the DVX listed at $3013.00 and it comes with MB Editors Addition which sales for $299.00.

Comment

Profeel
                          appears to be an UNAUTHORIZED Panasonic dealer.

also any word on when will they start shipping the DVX/serious magic bundle?

I already got the MB so I don't really care about it

Unix@U2.com

Comment

looking for some advice here. I'm finally buying a DVX100a and I've been reading here for a while. Do all these authorized dealers offer a discount for being a dvxuser member? If Willoubys is so shady than why are they an authorized dealer, and can I trust them to buy my dvx?
                            Also I kind of have issue with the prevolent attitude here that it's ALWAYs worth the added couple hundred bucks for that sweet voice on the other end of the line or whatever service perks. Sure, I need to know that I'm going to get the thing and get the warranty, but beyond that I'll take any discount I can get; I could care less about a grouchy attitude. I'm buying this camera because I can no longer get camera work without owning and using my own 3-chip camera since nowadays every stary eyed film student with rich folks has one and is running around calling themself a DP. I live cheaply and this is one of the most expensive purchases I will ever have made so every price break makes a huge difference. I do good work, but I'm not rich and I can't afford to pay an extra 100-200 bucks to hear a guy say please and thank you for like 5 minutes on the phone, thats just another part of good business practice that the consumer shouldn't be paying through the teeth for. Anyway, I hope I haven't been too gruff, I just find it hard to relate to people here who seem to toss money terms around like buying and selling 3500.00 cameras is like buying a snickers bar on the way to work.
                            I'm thinking I'll go with willoughbys since it seems cheapest, and I'd like a legit warranty, but any advice from anyone would be appreciated. What's the softwre that comes with it, anyway, is it editing stuff and if so is it really worth the extra cost for someone using final Cut Pro already and not wanting to switch to something cheaper? Thanks folks

Comment

Hi Ren,

The software that comes with the camera is the Magic Bullet for editors Software and yes it is a pretty cool editing tool. If the DVX does not have the software, it is likely you don't have a US unit, which means that you do not have a US Panasonic Warranty. The store may sell you a warranty, but I can assure you that it is not the same thing.

We are not talking about just nicities here, we are talking about when you have a problem and having someone interested in helping you resolve that problem. That is where authorized dealers and having a US warranty comes into play.

Anything under $3,200 US is a little suspect and there may well be provisos that come with a lower price, like you have to buy it in this configuration. those configurations can be very low quality filters, lenses and flimsy soft cases.

Hope that helps,

Jan
                              Jan Crittenden Livingston
                              Panasonic System Communications Corporation
                              Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

[quote author=Rush link=board=nws;num=1091645002;start=150#155 date=12/07/04 at 22:36:28]
                                Thanks Barry.  Hi jkc123, please send me an email and let me what you need, even if it's just the camera.  I will give it my best shot.  Just as a side note, B&H, the biggest baddest and most reputable dealer on the East coast, has never lowered their DVX price below $3499.  That kind of gives you an idea where a dealer's price ought to be for the camera.  EVS's advertised price is down to $3399, and the DVXuser price is $100 lower than that, and until Dec.31st, you get free freight.  Essentially, we profit $20 from the sale of a camera, and "hope" that through excellent service, a customer returns and buys accessories and tape, which keep our company alive.  It is the difference between "hoping" and "forcing" a customer that distinguishes us from other dealers.  ;) We don't call people back after they order a camera online, and "force" them to buy a bigger kit with tons of cheap crap for $1600, or else the camera is "backordered for 6 weeks".  With EVS, if you want just the camera, that's what you get.  Fair price, good service, and we "hope" that you come back for more goodies.  ;D  That has always been the creed I was taught at EVS by the owners Cody and Shawn, and i think it will be the key to EVS's survival in a brutal market.  [/quote]

Well, if that is the case, then I look forward to buying from you all in the future. If I owned your company, I would have the same policy. When I upgrade in the future or just need some extra expendables and such, you will be my "go to" store!
                                "Four Years" - a 35mm short film

http://vimeo.com/3071939

Comment

Working...
                                X