Help getting fottage from my DVX-B to my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help getting fottage from my DVX-B to my computer

I shot some stuff on my new camera and I want to put it on my computer to play around with it (Windows Movie Maker for the time being). I was told to get a Firewire. I got one and found that I don't have a plug for one. Can someone tell me how to get my footage on my computer?! Thanks!

You need to get a video capture card installed on your computer that has firewire capability. There are easy to install, you just need to know what kind of ports you have on your computer (most these days are PCI ports).

http://www.mediaed.org.uk/posted_documents/pcedit.htm

this is a pretty easy to understand article. Good luck.
    You're so money and you don't even know it!

Dan Lewin, Videographer/Editor

www.lewinmedia.com

Comment

You will need to get a firewire card. Without knowing what kind of computer I will just say get a pci 3 port firewire card, cost about 10-30$. If it is a laptop you might need to get a pmcia firewire card. If mac... you will have to check with a mac guy. You should be able to find most anywhere, if not try ebay. If you are near a computer store they should have them. Fry's I can get them most of the time for about 10$. Bottom line, you need to get a firewire port.
      When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
      50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

Comment

Firewire is really the way to go with this. But you can do it with rca cables on one end and a usb connection on the other other end. Expert V-Stream and DVD Maker is one example of this. You will need to buy this driver or one like it with the connection cable and you will need three rca cables. Hope this helps, but its been so long. You can also buy a firewire card for your computer if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I forgot to add that I have a Dell InspironE1750 laptop. It's not a desktop.

Edit, just read the laptop remark. So basically I need a pmcia firewire card and then that will give me the firewire port?

Does this one look ok? http://www.buyextras.com/2fiie13pcca...FQw7gQodrlb4fg

Are there any special/specific ones I should look for? I already bought the firewire..
          Last edited by ericengland33; 03-31-2007, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericengland33
            I forgot to add that I have a Dell InspironE1750 laptop. It's not a desktop.

Edit, just read the laptop remark. So basically I need a pmcia firewire card and then that will give me the firewire port?
            Yea I've bought 2 different ones off ebay. One a 4pin to 6 pin adapter (my laptop has a 4pin built in) and also a 6pin pmcia card. Didn't pay over 10-15$ either time. I would go with the card rather than that adapter though (can't remember if the adapter worked or not, I just use the card).
            When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
            50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

Comment

Actually, here's a list of them. Would anyone care to pick a good one out for me? Thanks!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...94+PCMCIA+Card

Comment

Did you get a 4pin to 4pin cable or 4 pin to 6 pin? Since you have a pc laptop, i don't think there is any benefit to getting a pcmcia card with 6 pin firewire. With desktops and powermacs and powerbooks a 6 pin is nice because they enable buss power for certain devices like external sound cards like Presonus or Motu firewire systems that can be powered solely via firewire, but PC laptops lack the buss powering ability, so a 6 pin card is not necessarily necessary. I would get the card that works with the cable you already purchased. So you don't have to repurchase a new cable. Just remember the DVX takes the 4pin end.

Comment

Your Dell E1705 should already have a 4pin firewire port on it...mine's located on the right side next to the headphone jack (FYI: it's labled "1394") All you should need is a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire (1394) cable...

Comment

Dang, you're right. I appreciate that. Thanks a lot!

Sadly, I bought a 4 to 6 pin. Should I keep it or take it back? Will it work with a Mac? I'm thinking of getting a Mac desktop for editing when I go to school.

Comment

yes the 4 to 6 cable will work with any computer/firewire device, I would keep it unless money is a major issue. Also if you decide to get a sound capturing device that operates via firewire, chances are it will be a 6 pin, so you'll be set.

Comment

Working...
                      X