Music Video Going Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Video Going Prices

Just curious what people are charging for video's. And I don't mean "it depends on what quality product your going to give them." Just straight up. What are people charging? Thanks.

It's impossible to answer that question.

Some are doing them for free; some are working with labels and charging a sh!tload. There's your "straight up" answer, and it's the truth.

-brown

Comment

I guess i should have been more specific. I've already done my share of freebees, now i'm trying to step up. Quoting a price is the hardest part of running a business, at least for me. I want to be fair, but also make a living. There is a HUGE, and i mean huge demand for Indie Music video directors in my area. the first week I advertised I got 12 Requests. I was just trying to see what others in my position are charging so I can know how much to quote.

Comment

I guess you could do it a couple of ways...I've not done much of anything freelance, I'm a newbie to working with video, but I want to shoot an indy film, so I'm starting here. I've seen people quote by finished minute of production, say, video is going to be x time long, so here's the price: 150$ a minute finished production...this works well for educational videos at least...

For music videos I'm guessing they'll want nice fast editing, lots of action shots or some special effects...but are limited in what they could pay for the video...you might want to do a "free" consultation with the group to figure out what they're looking for, what camera shots, any effects, what level of complexity do they want, and also you might even ask what their budget is?

Maybe you could then with that information decide what you could give them for their budget, or make a proposal based on what they want. Complex video = several thousand dollars? Again, I have barely any experience here..but I did get paid 150$ a minute for a 10 minute educational DVD, mostly shots of people standing around.

Hope this helps, and I'm anxious to see what replies you get as I would also find this information valuable.

Comment

Have you already figured how much you charge a day or an hour ?
          If not you have to find that out first. Then the rest is easy since you've already shot music videos before.

Add up all the crew members that you will need. Then the equipment. Then figure how long it will take to shoot then edit. then add it all together

Comment

$150 per minute? WAY too low for industry standards. If someone absolutely NEEDS a quick quote for something like that, tell them one thousand dollars per minute of finished output (anything under 12-15 minutes or so).

This ALL depends on who you're working with. If you're in with labels, you know you have a much bigger budget to work with. If you're just working with random local bands, then you can assume they don't have a lot to work with.

If a band off the street wanted me to shoot a music video and they were on a very tight budget, I'd tell them I could do a performance only video, in one location, and one day of shooting for somewhere around $2000-$2500. After expenses and, say, 4 days of hard work and editing, you've made a grand. To a somewhat more established band that may be on their way up the ladder, I'd quote between 5k and 10k for a good, low budget music video.

Working with signed bands and a label with a budget? up the quote as far as you think you can, but make sure you do a fantastic job or you won't be seeing any more bands off of that label.

-brown

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Comment

Sven-

Just curious - what method of advertising did you use that got you 12 requests the first week? I am in an area that should have a huge demand (Nashville) but am not seeing it.

Fred
                A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

Comment

I dropped off my Business cards at all the local music stores I knew off. Being a former musician I knew that this would be the best place to find the artist.s Plus most of the guys in the stores know me. That was it

Comment

I would say start with a directing fee and a editing fee and a daily fee. (Directing fee includes 1st day fee)

1.So just to have you as a director it might be $1000-$3000
                    2. To have you there onset can command another price. Hourly maybe $100
                    3. Editing fee $100 hr
                    4. You can package it up and say $5000 I will Direct and Edit for $5000 for 1 day and $7000 for a 2 day shoot.
                    5. Then they can pay for locations,adtors,props,etc.
                    6. So when videos end up costing $20,000 most of that money doesn't go to you but you do get paid a good amount.

Basically I would start by charging 3-5k for music videos and make the client pay for locations,actors,props,etc.
                    sigpic
                    Screenwriting App for iPad now in itunes!

Comment

wow are there actually unsigned bands who would be willing/able to pay that type of money?

Comment

The way i tackle this issue is by charging the production costs which you can get an idea of what a DVX rents for at your local rental house. For me, the camera rents for about 175/day with sticks. Then i add on lighting, a standard arri kit goes for about 75/day and then any other support on top of that, filters, 35mm adapters, additional lighting and grip equipment are on top of that. once the production costs are set, then i charge for my time. My time has been worth anywhere from 350-650/day depending on the project. So typically my videos are about 750-1000/day of production and a little less per day of post. Your rates may be different but i feel this is the way you have to price yourself and it has worked for me.

-rizzo
                        - RIZZO -
                        www.rizzomediaworks.com

"This one goes to 11."

Comment

I need to amend to my reply that those were the deals i will strike with an independent artist. The industry going rates for the skill level i am at are about double what i do for indie artists.

-rizzo
                          - RIZZO -
                          www.rizzomediaworks.com

"This one goes to 11."

Comment

Your not going to get some local band to pay to much since they probably don't have it. I'd charge what you think you are worth for the day. The local bands I know don't have much money. Tell them to provide you with help, their girlfriends etc.

A band with a record company paying for a video won't be looking for video producers on the bulletin board at the music store.

I would talk to each band and see what they can pay and if it is worth your time.

Comment

I think Zim is dead on with this. Local bands aren`t making much money at all, especially since they usually have full time jobs plus a band....to slap a $2500 price tag on a video they will likely laugh at you and look for someone that just wants the experience and their name out there, that`ll do it for free. I`d agree that you should sit down with each band and discuss it. Check out other people doing it and their prices too. But you never know, one band could have a rich families lead singer and they`ll pay more, another may be comprised of guys liek Alice in Chains who lived in a crap hole for years with no food or money just trying to make it big. Project yourself as a man of the people and you`ll be rewarded in time.

Comment

Working...
                              X