Starting from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Pound
    I bought my tapes online, you'd have to search around your town to see. At bH and I'm sure other online stores, you get a discount buying bulk.
    I don't own a pelican, I do have a cinebags bag, it's soft but has rigid sides and removable inner organizers. I'm not sure what the average dvxuser uses, maybe someone else will post some more info for you.
    Thank you, sir

I guess I'll hold off on the lenses. So what else should I get besides a good case and tripod? Where should I look for goot lighting equipment?

Comment

Bump. Anymore suggestions? I'm still fishing around in the dark. I've learned what tapes to get. I still dont know much about tripods, so I don't know what to look for and what to avoid. I also don't know jack about lighting (I need to learn about the settings on the camera as well, but I learned very quickly at my first job that it's hard since I'm colorblind). Thanks for any and all input!

Comment

Thought I would try for one more bump

Comment

You should go to the lighting part of the forum. There is alot of good suggestions for where to learn more about lighting. You'll get plenty of info on suggested lights, and what you should get based on your budget. You may want to wait until you get barry's book. I'm pretty sure he covers most everything you have questions on. I just recently dove into the world of DVX, so I too I'm waiting on a few purchases until I get Barry's book.
          As far as where to buy your accessories, stick with BH, Adorama, calumetphoto, EVS, etc.. The best thing you can do is search on tripods in this forum, you'll find a plethora of info. It'll really come down to how much money you can spend. A fluid head is definitely a better tripod head. I learned that from the forum.
          Good luck.

Comment

Thanks man

I think I've forgotten about lighting. I don't care to spend that much money. I'm now just looking for a polarizer or a UV to help protect my lens. Along with a case and tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by ericengland33
              Do you have to order all tapes online? Or are there some places that carry them nationwide? I live in Arkansas, so a lot of the places online arent near me..
              I've ordered from tapestockonline.com. They had pretty good prices, and shipped what I ordered, so I'm happy!

I think holding off on lights is a good idea. First, learn what the camera can do with available light. Then you'll have a better idea of what light you need for a particular scene.

Get a decent mic, though.

Comment

get a clear or uv lense and leave it on all the time regardless if you get a polarizer.

Comment

Any brands to stick to?

Comment

well, i know tiffen is totally reputable, but i got the panasonic uv, it was cheaper, and really it's only use it for protection, If i was to get more advance filters I would go tiffen although there are other good brands also... maybe someone else can add to this

Comment

Working...
                    X