Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the DVX100b too much too soon for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the DVX100b too much too soon for me?

Hey guys. New user here. Ive been searching around lately for a new camcorder. I would be using this to shoot movies and documentaries. However, I am only 14 years old. Is this camera too much too soon for me? Should I wait longer and build up my skill first? If that is so should I get the AGDVC30? I know that its being discontinued but since it will probably go down in price, should I get that one instead.? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My parents will only chip on on money if they think its what I really am serious into it, which I am. The price is a lot to spend on a camcorder for a amateur like me, so I would like to get some insight from the vets here on the forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i think the panasonic pv-gs500 would be good for you,its got 3 1/4.7 inch ccds all the manual control youll need and it also has a focus ring.check it out on the internet,you can get one for around $680 than with the mony left you can get a rode mic or something.good luck

Comment

Or on the other hand, if you're serious enough you can save the money that could potentially be spent on the dvc30 or gs500 and get the right camera the first time. ;)

I was 17 when I purchased my dvx and my parents definitely didn't believe I was serious enough to get one. I did pay for it with my own money and I am glad I did.
      WilliamBarber.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Yah, I am currently saving up my money and putting it away.

Comment

Originally posted by AdvanTech
          I was 17 when I purchased my dvx and my parents definitely didn't believe I was serious enough to get one. I did pay for it with my own money and I am glad I did.
          Ditto that story. like, exactly the same for me.

I got it just in time to do a 48 hour film thing, so i made sure it would be put to work, and man was that a fun weekend to tool around with.

Comment

Really depends on how dedicated you think you will be. I know that sounds common sense, and it is, but I'd probably say you have to TRULY look at yourself and ask yourself HONESTLY, is this what I want to do?

Another way to think about it that might make it easier is how much you'd be willing to sacrifice for this. Let's say you're parents tell you (in a couple years) you can either get this camera, or get a used car. Would you be willing to forgo a car for this camera? If the answer is no, then you probably don't need this camera, at least right now.

I got my camera when I was a bit older so I already went through my teenager phase and I had a job which could support me paying it off without having to starve so the choice wasn't as tough for me.

However, I will say this. Sometimes if your tools aren't sharp enough, it'll turn you off to the whole thing. For instance, a long time ago I wanted to learn how to play guitar. I got a really cheap, pretty bad guitar. I quickly lost interest b/c the thing sounded so bad. Later on (again when I was older and could afford it) I bought a better guitar and started practicing a lot more because when I played, it sounded better.

If you do decide to get the DVX, my advice is: learn this camera inside out. I mean it. Read up on technical things (this forum is a great resource). Studying up on the technical things will keep you busy and hence keep you interested. Also once you reach a certain level of technical profeciency, you'll be able to effortlessly apply them to your artistic ambitions. That's probably the biggest hurdle I see a lot of purely artistic filmmakers in my film school go through. They have an image in their head but for the life of them don't know how to make it come through on the camcorder. They don't bother to learn the technical stuff b/c to them it seems boring and scientific but it's what you do with the knowledge that'll make your films great.

Seong Kyu Whang

Check out some of our films HERE

Comment

Working...
            X