No announcement yet.

Two New DVX films distributed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations. Making movies and making money doing it -- that's what it's all about.
    After seeing this thread I rented HOOD OF THE DEAD, and I have several questions. I will try to keep them short.

-- What editing software do you use/prefer?

-- From what I understand, the DVX100 doesnt have a true widescreen feature. How did you achieve your widescreen effect? Did you use a 16x9 anamorphic lense adaptor?

-- Did you create all the DVD content and menues yourselves, or was that created by someone else once you got the distribution deal?

-- Finally, assuming one is reasonably talented at making movies, what advice can you give the users of DVXuser.com about getting a video distribution deal? Who do you contact? Hollywood video or Blockbuster directly? Or is there another, smarter way?

Thanks.

Comment

When we started out we used to edit with premier. Since we got the DVX we've been using Vegas. I myself would prefer Final Cut or Final cut express because I'm a Mac guy but our editor is a diehard PC guy. I don't argue with him about what he chooses to edit on, but I do tell him my Mac kicks his PCs ass just to break his balls a little bit. I'd go with what you got, if you have a PC then Vegas is pretty good and if you have a Mac then try Final Cut or better yet if you are on a tight budget try Final Cut Express.

For the Wide screen we just used the fake anamorphic switch. Adding the black bars at the bottom and top. But we have VERY recently bought the anamorphic lens. We will give it a try on our next feature which we start shooting next month. I know about the focus issue when zoomed in, but Barry Green's book has a chapter on how to fix that. Has anybody gotten that guide and know's for sure if Barry's suggestions work? I need to get that book.

When it comes to the graphic design of the covers and menus I go to outside help. Me and my brother are good at writing and directing, but we leave the other stuff to other people. We've had the same editor for 10 years. The cover design people are pros that have been making Direct To Video covers for a lot of Hollywood studios for many years. Same thing with the menus. I leave it to pros. I think it's better to focus on writing and directing and producing and leave the other jobs for people that put all their focus on those certain things. When you put them all together you end up with a pretty good DVD.

As far as getting distribution...Well, first you need a decent movie. With a decent movie you can get distribution easily. Anybody that rents videos knows that they're not all great. But as you sit there and criticize a movie, you have no idea the lengths of trouble that the person went through to make the film. Especially when you are an indie director. You don't have big budgets, big actors, etc. If anybody on DVXUSER is making a movie I suggest they put all their blood and sweat into it. Give it all they got. Don't do things half ass. Make sure you have the shot you want. Ask for help from friends, and fellow filmmakers. Once you're done, regardless of what anybody else thinks you have accomplished something great. You have accomplished something that a lot of people can't do. It's not easy to make movies. Anyhow, if the movie really is half way decent then you should try and send it off to distributors.

Comment

For the Wide screen we just used the fake anamorphic switch. Adding the black bars at the bottom and top. But we have VERY recently bought the anamorphic lens. We will give it a try on our next feature which we start shooting next month. I know about the focus issue when zoomed in, but Barry Green's book has a chapter on how to fix that. Has anybody gotten that guide and know's for sure if Barry's suggestions work? I need to get that book.
        Hmmm.... interesting. So you just used the camera's built in widescreen function? From what I understand that feature is not true widescreen, and therefore lowers the image resolution. But, in watching your DVD, the footage still looked about as sharp as anything I've seen on standard digital video! Did you do anything special to achieve this? Or is that simply the way this camera shoots in widescreen mode?

When it comes to the graphic design of the covers and menus I go to outside help. Me and my brother are good at writing and directing, but we leave the other stuff to other people. We've had the same editor for 10 years. The cover design people are pros that have been making Direct To Video covers for a lot of Hollywood studios for many years. Same thing with the menus. I leave it to pros. I think it's better to focus on writing and directing and producing and leave the other jobs for people that put all their focus on those certain things. When you put them all together you end up with a pretty good DVD.

That's what I thought. I like writing and directing as well, but I hate DVD cover art/menu creation. Good to know that you leave that to someone else.

As far as getting distribution...Well, first you need a decent movie. With a decent movie you can get distribution easily. Anybody that rents videos knows that they're not all great. But as you sit there and criticize a movie, you have no idea the lengths of trouble that the person went through to make the film. Especially when you are an indie director. You don't have big budgets, big actors, etc. If anybody on DVXUSER is making a movie I suggest they put all their blood and sweat into it. Give it all they got. Don't do things half ass. Make sure you have the shot you want. Ask for help from friends, and fellow filmmakers. Once you're done, regardless of what anybody else thinks you have accomplished something great. You have accomplished something that a lot of people can't do. It's not easy to make movies. Anyhow, if the movie really is half way decent then you should try and send it off to distributors.[/QUOTE]

Where do I look to find distributers? And what exactly are these kind of distributers referred to as? Direct to video distributers or something else? Do you know if the have a section in the Hollywood Creative Directory for these kind of services?

And finally, a few more questions -- I hope you're not getting pissed; I promise to keep em short.

Did you and your bro ever enter any film festivals? If so, did you do well, or did you just go straight to the home video market?

Do distibuters ever complain about the quality/price of the camera (DVX100) that you use to make your features -- saying things like it's not good enough, you need to upgrade . . . or are they fine with it? Do you ever get pressure from them to start shooting with more expensive equipment?
        In other words, does the quality of the video equipment you use ever stand in the way of getting a distribution deal?

Do you pay your actors and, if so, where do you find them?

Thanks in advance for your response. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I start my own feature. You've been very helpful.

Comment

looks cheezy but good job with distribution deal
          dammit should i spend 10 years making connections?

voytek
          My first short got into 20 FFestivals in Europe! And won two of them! Even got my first distribution deal Now I am shooting for Current TV and preparing for my feaure debut.
          Filmmaking is nice like Borat would say

www.EspressoPictures.com

Comment

Who distbs your films by the way?

"Let's shoot this bitch!"
            http://www.stashthemovie.com
            STASH TRAILER
            http://www.dailymotion.com/tuckywood/video/108766
            http://www.myspace.com/tuckywoodproductions

Comment

Working...
            X