Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVX 100 B "Pict enhancements + lower cost" ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super8
    Can you then say that there was no obvious "new" set of gamma curves added to the 100B?
    Until the US division issues a press release, I don't know what I can say and can't say. However, if you didn't see any new gamma curves listed in the menus from IBC, and you don't see any in the model that's available to be examined at RESFest, then that would be a good indication taht there are no new gamma curves in the 100B.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Thanks Barry:

One indication for me is to look at upcoming web commerce pages for some dealers that will carry the DVX100B. When the DVX 100 was ready to be replaced by the DVX100A I searched the web looking for some web commerce pages not yet published. I was looking to see the new features. I myself used to work a couple of years ago for a Panasonic, JVC, and Sony dealer in Miami and we would get advance notice of the features so we could prepare our literature and web commerce so that when the camera was ready for sale, we were ready to go.

Last time the 100 was replaced by the 100A the features listed by some "pre" commerce sites were dead on. I am starting to see around the web some Panasonic DVX100B "ready to be made public" web commerce pages... (but then again that means crap sometimes).

It seems that the concensus among these dealer pages for the DVX100B is:

Allows synchronous setting of time-code values in multiple cameras
      User-settable files can be copied from camera to camera
      Remote control of focus and iris (wired)
      EVF and LCD can display images in 16:9 letter-box form
      Black Sapphire color

Again, this is only me searching around...IT MEANS nothing probably...but who knows....I might just be ready to get my hefty rebate check and upgrade when the DVX100C comes out.
      formerly known as Super8
      ------------------------------
      MOVIE GROOVY
      Coco Bermudez | Creative Director
      6822 22nd Avenue North #101
      St. Petersburg, Florida 33710
      727.492.3338 | moviegroovy.com

Comment

I believe all those features were also confirmed by Mikko in his IBC report, along with many more.
        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

I didn't see new gamma settings at the 100b as I was playing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green
            ...along with many more.
            More features than speculated? ah man.....now I back to waiting! The suspense is eating me up!
            formerly known as Super8
            MOVIE GROOVY

Comment

Originally posted by gnasr
              I didn't see new gamma settings at the 100b as I was playing with it.
              Gnasr:
              Anything absolutely new that we have not heard of or touched upon on this thread? Any rep touched on some of the key points that would be new to us and not reported on the press release?
              formerly known as Super8
              MOVIE GROOVY

Comment

Originally posted by Super8
                More features than speculated? ah man.....now I back to waiting! The suspense is eating me up!
                I didn't mean that -- I meant that Mikko's report mentioned a lot more new features than the list that you posted.

Comment

Super 8,

I didn't notice anything different from what Mikko has posted.
                  About picture enhancements, I did play with it at a very well lit place, and didn't have a 100a to make a side by side comparison, but the image it produced looked pretty much the same to me, that's why I just bought another 100a myself.

Comment

Super8 (and everyone else), here is the list of all the features from the IBC thread:

Originally posted by mikkowilson
                    ****DVX100B - European version
                    I got a chance to quiz Jan (along with Adam Wilt.. you may have read some of his stuff) about the DVX100B and how it differes from the DVX100A ( I wont' discuss difference to the DVX100, as those can be derrived from existing information.

Heres's the list:
                    *Some physical modifications, includeing a recessed Picture/scene mode wheel, so you can't accidently bump it.
                    *Increased travel on the LCD screen.. it bends forward a little ways too.. just like on the HVX.
                    *The pannel in the base that holds the tripod mounting holes is now exposed, and can be reaplced cheaply if you manage to strip your threads, or rip the thing out! you jsut switch one peaivce, not the whole bottom of the camera.
                    *It has a new tape drive machanisim.. this is to conform to new Enviromental regulations making the camera legal to sell in places like California(!)
                    *The door latches are far more solid, so that with a strong grip you don't pull the door open far enoguh to set off the "ejected" sensor and kill yoru recording.
                    *THE COLOR. it is indeed the BMW color "Black Safari" - which looks rather nice in my oppinion.
                    *According to Jan, the camera has an overall "Sexier look".
                    *And now for some features; the DSP has been revised... there is now less noise in the darker areas.
                    *You can turn off ALL the displays in the viewfinder by holding down the "Display" button for a few secconds..you can also bring them back the same way :-)
                    *You can run an "End search" while you are in CAMERA mode.. without having ot go to VCR mode to do it!
                    *The chips are the SAME, The camera shoots THE SAME PICTURES and redords them the same way... that means that you can stick and anamorphic lens on, or you can use the "stretch" recording to get 16:9 without and exra lens.. however...
                    *The display has a switchable aspect ratio. So alongside the normal 4:3 (fullscreen) display, you can through the menu, set the display to 16:9..this will allow you proper composition for any 16:9 shooting, wether you are using "stretch" or an external Lens - the display aspectration is independent from the recording mode.. so you can configure it as you wish :-)
                    *There is a setting to switch the headphone output between direct live sound (good for a sound recorder/boom op) or in sync with the image on the LCD (so delayed a little as it goes through the recording processes.
                    *It has improved graphics in the menu, improving visibilty and makign it easier to use. - It's still the same menu system though, so it'll be totally familer to anyone upgrading.
                    *And improved connectivity; It has a 2nd mini-plug connector for remote Focus and Iris.. this is in _addition_ to the Zoom/rec-Pause remote connector.. so you can now contoll all of them. Supposedly Varizoom allready has a remote ready for this feature that it will be reasing shipping when teh camera does...the same remotes will also work for the same port on the HVX.
                    *and the magic Firewire connections: You can use firewire to do a dump of all the camera settings from one DVX100B to a 2nd one.. handy if you are in the studion and need to quickly insure that your cmaera settings match.
                    *and here is one of my favoriates.. The camera can be set to read, and Jam sync it's timecode to an incoming timecode signal on Firewire.. this is from ANY camera that sends out TC over Firewire when recording, Not all cameras do, but most of them do (including the 100 and 100A of course) This allows you to plug in your DVX100B as a slave camera with firewire to match timecode with another camera, then go off and shoot.. with yoru cameras having matched timecode.. great for multicam work! ..I wonder how long someone makes a box to convert regular timecode into firewire timecode ot interface with slates, audio recorders, etc..

The US MSRP is $3995, and it will ship in October (this year).
                    According to Jan, don't cry if you jsut baught a cmaera.. it's not a big step up from the 100A.. in fact, if you arn't looking for any of the new features, you might as well stick with the 100A..and get it for a great price!
                    And again, if you have a 100 that works for you fine, but there you would be more likly to see a larger upgrade..due to the combination of 100->100A and 100A->100B upgrades.
                    And yes, the 100A will of course still be in stock in stores for a little while, with that great rebate. Hey everyone wins!
                    The only thing that tickles my fancy is the lower lowlight noise in dark areas. Dunno if it'll be worth it.

Comment

Jan: do u have any imput on this?????

myspace.com/unixstudios add me
                      Unix@U2.com

Comment

I'm buying the A... sick of waiting for info to come out from Panasonic officially. My faith is in them that they are not witholding info purposely to trick us to buy a much worse product for the same price. (Jan even implied so in her response to my previous post).

Comment

Turk, once again you said it like it is.

Barry's explanation of different marketing arms for Europe and the USA and different price points and all that may be true. I've no reason to believe that they are not correct and I defer to his experience.

However, I agree that a press release from a company that makes no distiction and no disclaimer and is available to the world cannot be labeled as an isolated piece of information pertaining to only a certain area of the world. Particularly when there is an ANNOUCEMENT which states that the most important part of a camera, i.e., THE IMAGE IT CAPTURES, has been improved!

It is just bizzare that some here that are associated with Panasonic are either silent on this issue or are acting like we are too concerned with these comments in the press release or are "reading things into it."

This is a site about imaging. The measurements of S/N ratios are discussed at length. People pull out their wave form meters and hook them up and post graphs and argue over the smallest of variations. People split electronic hairs here on a daily basis.

But now, I feel like I fell into an episode of the Twilight Zone. All of a sudden none of the normal rules apply. Up is down, down is sideways - followed by a chorus of, "Why are some of you making such a big deal about Panasonic stating that it has made enhancements to the most important part of its product with no explanation."

You know, as in real estate, "Location, location, Location." Well, in cameras, it's "Image Quality, Image Quality, Image Quality."

And how is it possible to "misinterpret" "or read too much into" the words:

"Improved colour reproduction with advanced image adjustments have enhanced this already high quality unit allowing productions to cut material shot on this Camcorder into other formats with even more ease."

This isn't some small, esoteric, picky little issue. It is a major claim about the most important part of the camera.

So why, on a site that has 14,492 posts about the HVX200, is it unreasonable to ask what these statements (which are still there on the web as this is written) about the DVX100B mean? And why is it impossible to get an answer?

Comment

Because, mainly, the answer you are getting isn't the one you want.

So, first, let me address Turk: Turk, the best thing I can say about your post is: "there's the way things are, and there's the way things ought to be." And they aren't the same thing.

The US doesn't control what Europe announces, nor does the US get veto power over the words the European marketing division chooses to use. The European division sells only to European customers; what they do has no bearing whatsoever on the US, just like what the US does has no bearing on what happens to the European customers. That is the way things ARE.

Take a look at some of the cars Ford sells in Europe, or Nissan sells in Japan, and note that we don't get those over here. They're different markets, and they are administered to differently.

Regarding Kelly's seven-hundredth posting of the words "improved colour reproduction with advanced image adjustments" -- quoting a marketing bulletin will not make something appear out of thin air that's not there. I have seen the 100B at ResFest -- there are NO NEW "ADVANCED IMAGE ADJUSTMENTS. There aren't any. Take me to task for pointing out the obvious, but just because the European division chose to make some vague and unsubstantiated statement, that doesn't make it reality. It makes it a European division press release. Which has no binding authority over the US version.

Is it possible that the European version might have some new color reproduction? I guess so. Maybe. But the US version doesn't, as near as I could tell. Is it possible that the European version has new "advanced image adjustments"? Maybe, I wouldn't know -- I've never seen a European DVX100B. But I've seen the American one, and I can tell you that there are NO new advanced image adjustments.

Really -- if you want an answer, why not just ask the European office what it is they meant by those statements? They're the ones who wrote them. They should have an explanation for them. AFAIK, no European Panasonic representative posts on this forum. Jan does, yes -- but Jan is Panasonic US. The issue was started in Europe by a European press release.

And why is it impossible to get an answer?
                            Well, if you want an answer, you'd have to ask someone who KNOWS the answer. And as near as I can tell, the only people who know what the European office meant by those statements is: the European office's press department. So you'd have to ask them. Nobody else can answer.

The only thing I can say about the 100B, regarding image quality, is that Mikko reported that it had "lower noise" in the image. That's it. Not that that's a small thing, but that's been already reported.

Comment

[QUOTE=Barry_Green]

1. Because, mainly, the answer you are getting isn't the one you want.

2. Regarding Kelly's seven-hundredth posting of the words "improved colour reproduction with advanced image adjustments"....

3. I have seen the 100B at ResFest -- there are NO NEW "ADVANCED IMAGE ADJUSTMENTS. There aren't any.

4. Quoting a marketing bulletin will not make something appear out of thin air that's not there. Take me to task for pointing out the obvious, but just because the European division chose to make some vague and unsubstantiated statement, that doesn't make it reality."
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Honor,

I submit my defense point by point.

1. I and several others only wanted AN answer.

2. To be fair here, you know that I did not post the quote from the Panasonic press release more than 600 times.

3. Fabulous! We now have a definate answer about the Panasonic press release. It's untrue (well, maybe it is true for cameras sold in Europe). I would have stopped asking way back at 300 or 400 had somebody verified it was untrue or explained that cameras in Europe have different specs.

4. If the crime here is being gullable or having an idea that there might be some credibility to a Panasonic press release and I was wrong because;

A. I should have known that the European division would make and is still making, as you called them, "unsubstantiated statements" about a major product, or;

B. I should have known that as you point out, it is possible for Panasonic to sell the same camera in different countries with different levels of picture quality;

Then I throw myself on the mercy of the court and plead guilty. I ask that the court give me credit for time served and release me.

Comment

Me wants remote forus and iris controls
                                - Vic celestialmatter.com

Comment

Working...
                                X