Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVX 100 B "Pict enhancements + lower cost" ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelly, I apologize -- I had just worked a 15 1/2-hour day, so I guess I was a bit cranky when I wrote that response! Your determination to get an answer is well justified in light of the expected $3,400 expenditure under contemplation!

All I can say is -- I've spent a fair amount of time with the 100B, and I do not understand that line in the press release at all. There are no changes to the image controls, and the only change to the picture quality at all, that I could determine, was that it is a little cleaner as regards noise.

Whatever that press release is talking about, it either is "unsubstantiated" or perhaps does not apply to the US version. Again though, the only ones who really know what that's supposed to mean are the people who wrote it.

Furthermore, keep in mind that every manufacturer, at all times, puts in a disclaimer that says "features and specs subject to change without notice". I was in software long enough to know that the people who wrote the press releases, and even the people who wrote the manuals for the product(!) didn't always verify with us (the guys actually MAKING the product!) to verify that it did or didn't do whatever they were saying it does. Many times they'd put out a press release saying that the game would do such-and-such because that's what the game designers told them it would do. Well, we were the engineers, and we couldn't always do what they were asking. So the product did what we could make it do, regardless of what the marketing department claimed it was going to do. So is there some residual resentment leading me to claim that the European press release was perhaps making "unsubstantiated claims"? Yeah, probably. Does this reflect the actual circumstances going on within Panasonic Europe? I don't know, of course. I have no idea what's going on internally over there, or why they chose the specific words that they did. All I know is that I've used the product to some degree, and I can't say that what they put in that press release (specifically the paragraph in question) jibes with what I've experienced in the pre-release product at ResFest.

There are many very nice changes in the 100B, that's for sure.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by xl70e3
      Me wants remote forus and iris controls
      The 100B has remote focus and iris controls...
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green
        The 100B has remote focus and iris controls...
        So does the JVC GY-DV300REM. I don't know why you'd want it, tho!

Comment

Barry, my only point of the EU USA thing was having nearly everyone--including Jan--refer to the EU press release to get our information on the 100B. In a world of global communication it behooves everyone--be they EU or NTSC markets to be more specific towards their markets in their respective press releases. Or tell us not to pay attention to the pricing but read the details regarding the product--or whatever. It's like throwing out "Here's your carrot", then saying maybe it isn't a full size carrot.

Fortunately or unfortunately, we all know there is a difference between Pal and NTSC camera technology--so it's very possible parts of EU press release may not apply. The answer to that is for Panasonic NTSC to step forward to clarify or simply say not to bother with the EU details until NTSC details are posted. (But here we are weeks later and nothing is posted...)

What is disappointing is that Panasonic NTSC still doesn't even have a photo or reference to this camera on its USA website. So they're really not taking effort even to clarify--perhaps thinking the less information the better for the 100A sales--until the very last minute prior to Oct 31st rebate deadline. Then viola! All the information and pricing imaginable!

It's not so sinister; it could be just good business depending upon where one is sitting. Panasonic has gotten into--IMO--an egregious habit via announcing the 200 so early. Too early. It wasn't even out of development. It's a great idea with a lot of great specs. No one wishes it a harmful debut, bugs, or anything else.

The 100B will float nearly two months during the 100A rebate--with no real official release or details. Now we find there may be little to no difference in picture quality--the 100A is pretty good to begin with. Coupla tweaks. Updates, hardly upgrades. Already there is talk of $3400 street price for 100B. Back to business as usual, sans lead?

All I expect is Panasonic responsiveness. It wouldn't have taken anything for Panasonic to put up the USA NTSC specs, pic, with no official price (Price Pending). At least we'd have good information upon which one can make a declarative 100A/100B decision while not waiting for an "official" release, then possibly finding out the 100A is no longer available (since the rebate can be cancelled at any time...like running out of 100As).

Oh well, this isn't that big a thing. There's always the 100A, 16:9 mask, shoe polish. It's just that there's no good reason to not have put up the NTSC 100B specs/pic--with price disclaimer.

The king is dead! Long live the king!

Maybe Jan will blow a hole in this entire thread with a Kracker Jack battery/BGreen deal.

(And I still think it's time to push video for firmware Updates as opposed to hardware Upgrades. Everyone knows 35mm megapixel size/various chips is not the final word in true image quality.)

Let's hope we get pics/details soon. (...and Barry--remember the thread where the guy kept inquiring about whether the 100B had intervalmeter. Well, does it? I may be interested in that too!)

Update: Haha, I did 100B google; there are now USA retailers taking pre-orders with no price listed but mentioning the mini dv across the board price reductions! Whoops!

Comment

Well, here's the deal: as far as I know, no company ever introduces features of a new model that is replacing an existing model until they are ready to ship it. It just isn't done -- especially by an electronics/tech company.

They'll release info about a new model line, yes -- so JVC will pre-announce the HD100, Panasonic pre-announces the HVX200, Canon pre-announces the XL H1. But Canon did not pre-announce the XL2! Sony didn't pre-announce the PD170, and Panasonic didn't pre-announce the DVX100A. Nor will Panasonic USA pre-announce the DVX100B until it's ready to put it on the shelves. The fact that she even mentioned there was a 100B coming (replacing lead) was a major surprise -- they never pre-announce.

As far as Jan referring to the EU press release -- I don't remember that post or the phrasing in it, but I would guess it was along the lines of "we aren't announcing anything yet, so if you want to go read the European press release, go ahead."

Regarding across-the-board DV price reductions -- if that's effective for the US, that's great. Glad to hear it. Last I knew they were still talking about $3995 for the DVX100B. But, again, it hasn't been announced in the US yet. It has not been released in the US yet. Maybe it will list for less. Maybe that "across the board" thing will apply to the US as well. If it does, that's the US division's choice to implement it (or not implement it). Let's hope they do!

Where did you see USA retailers taking pre-orders? I thought speccomm just answered this a couple of days ago by saying that no US authorized dealers were taking pre-orders?

Comment

Working...
            X