No announcement yet.

-DVX100b-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the DVX100b going to have any kind of rebate? My guess is no but it doesn't hurt to ask. Did the 100A have any type of rebate when it first came out? Like many people I am weighing whether or not or not to buy the 100A with the great rebate or wait for the 100b. From the sound of things it doesn't seem like I can go wrong either way.

Comment

There was no rebate on the DVX100A when it first came out. In fact, the DVX100A cost $200 more than the DVX100 did.

I would certainly not expect there to be any rebate on the 100B when it first becomes available.
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Where did this DVX100B rumor came from anyway? I've been browsing the entire web looking for any official reliable news on it and all I've found was forum posts (not the most reliable source)
        www.rafael-lopes.com

Laugh out loud right here:

- http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=129033

and here

- http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=86474

Comment

why dont u check out some profiles...especially Jan's, see if she has said anything about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green
            Well, "need" is a strong word. If you were choosing between a Sony FX1 (with its native 16:9 chips) or a 4:3-chip DVX100A (in 25p/thin/squeeze), which do you think will produce the better, higher-res image for your standard-def broadcast?

If you're talking about shooting 50i, then yes, the FX1 would have the advantage clearly. But if you're shooting film-style 25p, the Squeeze-mode DVX is already directly competitive, just as high-resolution, and then offers all the other bonuses too (cinegamma, latitude, sensitivity etc).

If your goal is to get full-resolution 16:9 footage, with a filmlike feel, the DVX is already absolutely and thoroughly competitive. It already puts out images that are as high-res as that "native 16:9" camera does.*

As far as the US, I do believe you're right on that -- looks like we're not even going to bother with 16:9 SDTVs. I doubt we'll ever see a 16:9 standard-def broadcast in the US.

*granted the DVX/Squeeze isn't as high-res as an XL2 in 24p/NORM/16:9, but then again that mode threatens to introduce interlace line flicker/twitter. The DVX/Squeeze delivers as much resolution as an interlaced television can handle without twitter.
            I can't believe you said that, Barry (even if it's a long time ago)...

the BBC won't even accept it for broadcasting...

Comment

Can't speak for the BBC. Over here there are no 16:9 broadcasts in standard-def so it's a non-issue.

But I'm curious which part you can't believe. I stand by everything I said there...
              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

actually there are quite a few shows that broadcast 16:9 via letterbox at SD on 4:3 televisions. For example, NBC broadcasts ER, Westwing and Conan O'brian all in 16:9 letteboxed format.

Comment

Letterboxed 4:3, yes. But the broadcast is 4:3.

No 16:9 signal is broadcast anywhere in the US (except for HD, of course).

Comment

actually, that is incorrect. Fox broadcasts many shows in what it calls EDTV widescreen.. mostly over Satellite but that still counts as broadcasting. It is a true 16:9 squeeze.

Comment

And Conan is shot HD.. it's only aired letterboxed on the SD feed (duh)

..Interestingly enough, Leno is also shot HD, but it's aired as Pan&Scan on SD..it airs right before conan on the same network.. one P&S and the other Letterbox.. go figure.

- Mikko
                      Mikko Wilson
                      Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
                      +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

Comment

yes.. and a few weeks ago Letterman also finally switched to 16:9, and HD for what its worth. There is no question that 16:9 and HD is the future, and its coming a little faster than alot of people thought it would.

Comment

(methinks Jarred aimed that at me)

Hey, may be faster than some people thought it would, but the FCC approved high-def broadcasts 9 years ago. So here we are 9 years later, and I'd say about 1/2 of 1% of the broadcasts on television are originated in and broadcast in high-def.

Drives me batty -- I'm watching the US Open today in standard-def, and it just looks AWFUL compared to the high-def broadcast yesterday! I sure wish they'd get on with a transition. But there are 600 million televisions in the world, and it's going to be years and years before even the majority of programs are broadcast in high-def (and by that I don't mean up-rezzed SD, which also looks awful).

Comment

wasn't directed to you, even though i know your hanging onto SD for awhile

A few things, First the FCC approved hi-def 9 years ago.. when a hi-def camera cost over a million dollars. At that point it would be like networks switching to Imax to shoot everything, there was no delivery methods, no HD televisions, no HD cable or Satellite. So yeah, sure it took 9 years but in the last 2 years you must admit its been a huge turn to HD... now that people can afford to shoot with it, and afford to view it.

And as for 1/2 of 1%.. i think that's a little exaggerated. I mean NBC has 90% of its prime time lineup shot with HD.

American Dreams, Saturday Night Live,Last Call With Carson Daly, Crossing Jordan, ER, Las Vegas, Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and The West Wing, Medium, Revelations, Joey, and pretty much everything else, All HD, either from HD native or from 35mm.

today, its pretty hard to buy a big screen Television that isn't HDTV capable. So, i don't know about years and years, I think in the next couple years almost all Television will be broadcast in hi-def, and in our territories it will probably be shortly after that most TV's are hi-def.

Comment

Are most HDTVs in the US 720 or 1080 native? I am yet to see a 1080 HDTV in the shops in the UK.
                              http://www.mikemarriage.com

Comment

NBC shoots a lot of HD, yes. But I'm talking overall. If you subscribe to DirecTV, you have a choice of about 235 channels. 15 of them are high-def. That's about 6%. Same with cable TV. And most of those HD channels are the broadcast networks, and other than prime-time there's very, very, very little HD on those broadcast networks.

So, okay, you're right, 1/2 of 1% was too low, it's really about 6% overall, but if you look at it from the perspective of at-any-given-time-is-there-HD-on-this-channel, I doubt my 1/2 of 1% guess is too far off.

The major networks are doing better with their percentage, and very few of the cable channels are airing any sort of HD.

I think about 5 years from now, HD will have some serious market penetration.

I think in the next couple years almost all Television will be broadcast in hi-def
                                It depends on what you mean by "all television". Last I checked, there are lots of times where more people are tuning in to cable shows than into network broadcasts. And somewhere around 0% of cable networks are broadcasting HD.

If you define the % of broadcasts as the odds that whatever channel you turn to will have a high-def broadcast on it, I think it's going to be a *LOT* longer than 2 years before that transition is made! Maybe in 10 years. I think 2 years from now HD will be fairly common on the four big networks, yes. But the overwhelmingly vast majority of programming sent to people's homes will still be standard-def.

today, its pretty hard to buy a big screen Television that isn't HDTV capable
                                True; but how many of them actually have tuners? Lots and lots of people who have HDTVs have no way to watch any sort of HD on them! There's "HD Capable", "HD Ready", and "HD Built-In" after all... ;)

even though i know your hanging onto SD for awhile
                                Nope -- I can't stand SD. I'm converting to entirely HD by the end of this year. I'd pull the plug on SD today if I thought I could get away with it (and I'd also eliminate interlacing and tape while I was at it!) But like I say, just because you and I may prefer something, that doesn't mean it's going to happen...

Comment

Working...
                                X