-DVX100b-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-DVX100b-

Besides color, does anyone know what other changes are to be made?? Will it be the same price as the A? Will the A no longer be available to purchase??
    "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

-Scott Adams-

There is no more info yet, Jan has responded on another thread. Think she said september/october release date.
    http://www.mikemarriage.com

Comment

Besides color, does anyone know what other changes are to be made??
      No information (other than color) is officially known or released.

It should be out before you need to buy though, according to your signature.

Will the A no longer be available to purchase??
      The DVX100A immediately replaced the DVX100, so it would seem reasonable to guess that the DVX100B would replace the DVX100A. However, some retailers will likely still have some DVX100A stock until they're sold out, so there may be a period of time where you could choose between them.

Will it be the same price as the A?
      As for price, that is unknown as well. The DVX100A was $200 higher than the DVX100. That doesn't mean anything, other than to point out that the last time the camera was updated, the price did change.
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Might be a total sack of horse sh*t but a 'friend' of mine swears that it'll be HD BUT it'll do HDV not DVCPro HD like the HVX.... hence Panny keeping very silent over the spec of the DVX100b.

His reasoning is that the HVX will only sell to the serious film makers due to its price. Panny needs something to compete in the HD prosumer market as currently Sony OWNS the market with the FX and Z1 etc and now with the HC1 will mop up all the serious amateur.

Panny with its current line-up is totally exposed... people WANT high def HOW!

Indy...

Comment

I'd really doubt that since Panny's not part of the HDV consortium. They could make their own similar format, but that's not likely either. What's your friend's source on this info? I doubt it's very good, but I could be wrong.

Also, Sony's HC1 is a one-chip camera with no manual controls. It's not for amateur anythings, but for consumers. The sample footage from it does look great, though.

Comment

Not sure there was a 'source'!

99% of people wouldn't know 1 chip from 3 or come to think of it 100 chip Sony have a product that's within their budget and Panny don't!

Your point that the sample footage looks great makes the point.

Here in the UK HD will explode over the next 12 months and Panny have nothing in the market... Sony have an offering for each market segment. The average person would keep their camera what 3/4 years? Panasonic need to have something now unless they want to be playing catchup for the next 5+ years.

Indy.....

Comment

I see your point Indy. I doubt the DVX100b would be HD though, because it would require a major overhaul - new chips, codec etc, and they may as well just design a totally new model.

It is true though that Pany is going to have to come up with a consumer codec for HD. That is the way things are going! Maybe they will buy into HDV, as it seems great for consumer shooting. Maybe HD straight to a DVD? Maybe solid state to run to DVD via firewire, who knows... I just doubt it will be in the DVX100b!
              http://www.mikemarriage.com

Comment

Is anyone going to buy this camera? With all this HD cameras coming out, I don't really know if I would be interested in upgrading my DVX100AE. I am happy with it and I am still learning to use it.
                Probably next year I will get a HD camera next year, but for now, my old DVX100AE still works for me.
                Just like other guys kept their original DVX100.

Maybe they are going to add native 16x9 chips, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by araujofh
                  Is anyone going to buy this camera? With all this HD cameras coming out, I don't really know if I would be interested in upgrading my DVX100AE.

Maybe they are going to add native 16x9 chips, who knows?
                  Yes, I would buy this camera since I have not yet made my purchase of any DVX 100. I started to buy the current model but my shoot won't start for a month or two so I am very interested in the 100B. I suspect that it could have a native standard def dv 16X9 chip since the HVX is going to have one.The chip might be transportable.

"On paper" the 100A is behind the Canon in regards to 16X9 native and the other HDV cameras, but I'd still lean towards the DVX100 if I had to make the decision today. But if the DVX 100B had any improvement, even just 16X9 native, I'd wait for it and buy a couple of them.

Comment

My hope is that the 100b has 16:9 chips and is able to record DVCPRO50 to P2.

If so, I'll be buying that instead of the HVX.
                    I have no immediate need for HD but I can definitely use DVCPRO50 right now!

Panasonic is really pushing P2 so i think it's feasable to assume the 100b will have at least one P2 slot.

But who knows?

-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillP
                      My hope is that the 100b has 16:9 chips and is able to record DVCPRO50 to P2.

If so, I'll be buying that instead of the HVX.
                      I have no immediate need for HD but I can definitely use DVCPRO50 right now!
                      Which is probably why the 100b won't have DVCPro50 or P2. Why buy the more expensive product when you could get a camera one step lower that has the same exact thing?

Comment

I thought way back several months ago that Jan said the only changes in the "B" was going to be making it legal for sales in Europe by removing certain elements like lead or others. You know, like the way lead has been removed from paint and pencils. I'm not saying there's lead in the DVX. I don't remember what it was.

Comment

I hope the DVX100B fixes the headphone output... Boy, that would be swell.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooXT
                            Which is probably why the 100b won't have DVCPro50 or P2. Why buy the more expensive product when you could get a camera one step lower that has the same exact thing?
                            It wouldn't be the exact same thing.
                            It wouldn't have HD chips.

-Bill

Comment

After thinking about this today and reading the posts about other products and the competition I have to think that some things from Panasonic about the DVX 100 "B" do not make sense.

Before NAB in April panasonic and its representative (who we are lucky to have on these boards) announced the HVX 200. They gave many details about the camera befoe NAB and at NAB they had pamphlets. Even had pictures and information on the website.

This was for a camera that didn't even exist. No working model at NAB. This was also 8 to 10 months before availability. You could even place orders with retailers and get on the list. Virtually every question was being answered by the person who has the title Product Manager for the HDX 200 and the DVX 100A. There are over 10,000 post about the camera on this site and Panasonic reps are giving all kinds of details.

Now the Panasonic representative for the DVX 100 who had almost all the answers for a camera (the HDX 200) that was at least 8 months away from introductin is stating they are unaware of any information (other than color and lack of lead) on a camera that they stated would be out in stores in about 5 weeks.

Would it make sense for a major player in this market to keep the product manager, the person who has been making all the announcemets about cameras, in the dark weeks before its intro? Sales and orders don't just happen. Cameras have to be ordered by distributors and retailers. Resellers also must know what they are going to be getting. It takes a while for orders to be processed and catalogues made and printed etc. All of this has to be done prior to the product being in the store.

So, I strongly suspect that if in fact there is going to be a DVX 100 "B" introduced in the next month or two as previously stated many times, many people already have to know the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X