X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Daniel Stanley
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry_Green
    The headphone jack could use some fixing, yes. The echo in 24p mode is quite noticeable and annoying. On the DVX100 there was no echo (but the audio on tape wasn't perfectly lined up, it preceded the video by two frames). On the DVX100A they fixed the sync on tape, but it introduced a very annoying echo -- which can only be defeated by using noise-isolating headphones (hence the new pair of Etymotic P6's from buy.com, $218.00).

If they were to fix or change anything on the 100B, the headphone-echo would be my fondest wish.
    Gosh I'll, listen for that. I feel really unobservant, I shoot in 24pa all the time. I use koss full ear padded phones but pretty sure they're not noise-isolating.

Ignorance is bliss.

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    The headphone jack could use some fixing, yes. The echo in 24p mode is quite noticeable and annoying. On the DVX100 there was no echo (but the audio on tape wasn't perfectly lined up, it preceded the video by two frames). On the DVX100A they fixed the sync on tape, but it introduced a very annoying echo -- which can only be defeated by using noise-isolating headphones (hence the new pair of Etymotic P6's from buy.com, $218.00).

If they were to fix or change anything on the 100B, the headphone-echo would be my fondest wish.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Daniel Stanley
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianAWells
    NO, it does not. It is a delayed output and is terribly noisy. It's pathetic compared to a mixer...
    Huh ... guess I never scrutinized it for quality, just monitoring, kind of like the LCD is 150 lines less ressolution than squeeze or letterbox and 300 lines less rez than the anamorphic adaptor. I can tell if one actor is hotter than the other on wireless or if I'm getting lots of wind on wireless or shotgun, and if the sound is warm / full / on axis or not ... never noticed the noise or any delay -- wierd and I'm a professional sound designer -- though not an engineer or field recorder.

Not saying you're full of it -- just saying I've never been dissatisfied with it, or noticed any quality issues, but then I'm a newbie wannabe DP, so I'm probably thinking more about, is that in focus, is this the best exposure setting ... etc., even though I know sound quality is more important to percieved overall quality than image.

Still, sounds like this is a known problem, just I've never been disatisfied so I was just asking what the dealio was.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Daniel Stanley
    replied
    Yeah, they oughta fix the headphone output. That's definitely something that got "left out" from "A"
    What's wring with the headphone out? Mine works fine.

Leave a comment:

• Zim
    replied
    If you need 16:9 and want to use DV then the HVX200 will do that. So that would make the DVX100B without 16:9 not much use to you..But,,,if they made the DVX with 16:9 and you didn't want HD,,,that would be even better and cheaper. That's what I was really wanting. But I got tired of waiting and blew my budget on a new Nikon camera and a Nikon 70-200VR 2.8 lense. So I don't really have to worry about it for awhile!!

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Originally posted by bvalente
    I have heard from reputable sources Sony has sold somewhere between 25,000 and 35,000 HD cameras.
    I would think that's possible, if we're talking about 25,000 FX1s and Z1s and HC1's together, worldwide. I think that's reasonable.

40,000 Z1's? Not possible. 150,000? Fantasyland. But 25,000 seems like it's attainable.

Leave a comment:

• mmm
    replied
    There's rarely a time when my camera isn't tethered to a production monitor. The laptop is the same thing -- it's just another cable; you loom the cables together.

For going totally untethered, that's what the P2 card is for!
    I probably use my camera differently from you though Barry, although I get your point entirely. I also have to use it for corporate work etc as well as short films when tethering isn't an option a lot of the time. I also find that the less equipment you have carry around, the better. I don't deny its possible, I'd just prefer not to.

Leave a comment:

• bvalente
    replied
    I have heard from reputable sources Sony has sold somewhere between 25,000 and 35,000 HD cameras.

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Originally posted by mmm
    I would rather loose a little quality than a lot of freedom (and therefore content) that would result from a tethered camera. However, I always use a very "free" camera. If you prefer a locked down camera for your storytelling, I can definitely see the benefits...
    There's rarely a time when my camera isn't tethered to a production monitor. The laptop is the same thing -- it's just another cable; you loom the cables together.

For going totally untethered, that's what the P2 card is for!

Leave a comment:

• mmm
    replied
    Wifi can certainly achieve the require speed for 720p24 now, I don't know if it can sustain it well though. For drama I think I would still prefer to have a wire hanging around for now (or just go to P2 or tape really), however it could be very handy for live multicamera shoots when pro-transmitters are way out of the budget.

A lower rez version would also be great for Steadicam & handeld work.

Leave a comment:

• BrianAWells
    replied
    Originally posted by mmm
    Maybe someone could make a Wi-fi adapter for the HVX...
    You make an interesting point there, mmm. You've read the same P2 info I have (no doubt) and wasn't there a brief mention of a similar device?? Perhaps it was only proxy quality downconvert for monitoring, but a WiFi 720p24 option to HDD would be a welcome addition! (man, what a mouthful!)

Leave a comment:

• mmm
    replied
    To each their own. Personally, I don't like the idea of recording to a laptop. I'd rather just do it the old fashioned way and without computers. I just want to take pictures, man. I think you 'get it' Barry because of your prior background in software development. You are 'in tune' with the computers and this shooting style works well for you. I just don't see it working well for me, that's all.

BW

Me too. I would rather loose a little quality than a lot of freedom (and therefore content) that would result from a tethered camera. However, I always use a very "free" camera. If you prefer a locked down camera for your storytelling, I can definitely see the benefits...

Maybe someone could make a Wi-fi adapter for the HVX...

Leave a comment:

• BrianAWells
    replied
    ... tape *is* dead. It just doesn't know it yet. I plan on using my HD100 with HDV Rack most of the time. Tape is simply despicable!)
    To each their own. Personally, I don't like the idea of recording to a laptop. I'd rather just do it the old fashioned way and without computers. I just want to take pictures, man. I think you 'get it' Barry because of your prior background in software development. You are 'in tune' with the computers and this shooting style works well for you. I just don't see it working well for me, that's all.

BW

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Indy,

One thing to keep in mind is that each territory has a different marketing company. Panasonic USA is a marketing and service arm for Panasonic Corporate, charged with the responsibility of selling cameras in the US. Panasonic UK is a totally-unrelated-to-Panasonic-USA company, which is also a division of Panasonic Corporate. Panasonic UK's charter is to sell Panasonic product in the United Kingdom. There's Panasonic Canada, Panasonic New Zealand, etc.

So marketing is a very local thing. Jan is the U.S. boss of the HVX, SDX, and DVX lines, and she decides how they get marketed -- and here in the US, it's impossible to open a magazine or visit a high-traffic website without seeing a DVX ad.

But Jan isn't the boss of Panasonic UK. Sounds to me like you're not happy with the level of presence Panasonic UK is devoting to the product. That's something that would probably be best directed to the appropriate marketing personnel in Panasonic UK.

There's no doubt the FX1 and Z1 got a lot of buzz -- if you want HD, they are pretty much the only thing out right now. JVC had the HD1 but it was a really horrid little camera, and while it got strong sales from "early adopters" when it was first released, it has dwindled to nothing.

Sony, on the other hand, has produced a much better product. The FX1 and Z1 are far better cameras, AS CAMERAS, than the HD1 and HD10 ever were. Everything about the FX1 and Z1 is just so superior that it's really rather laughable to compare the HD1 or HD10 to them. And that's one reason why they've got a lot of goodwill. I've got my share of complaints about 'em (not the least of which is that it's 1080i-only), but compared to the other HD camera, it's night and day. I still don't think it's the product people really want, but it's one that a lot of people have decided to settle for, and if what you want is an interlaced camera, the Sonys are very nice cameras.

But I've heard people throwing around numbers like "150,000 Z1s have been sold." That's just obscenely laughable. It's preposterous. The real number is probably more like 1/10 or 1/20 of that number. Which would still make it a successful camera, but 10,000 or 20,000 is a lot more believable than 150,000! I don't know if there were 150,000 PD150's sold over that camera's entire lifetime -- there is NO WAY AT ALL that the Z1/FX1 have sold more, in the 8 months or so that they've been out, than the PD150 (one of the biggest prosumer sellers of all time) needed five six years to do. It's insane.

I don't doubt they're selling a decent amount of cameras. I just think it's ridiculous what their PR people are putting out there. Even claims of 40,000 sound just incredibly laughably inflated.

Okay, back on subject -- why no articles and press about the HVX? Probably because it's still at least four or five months away. Look back on the incredible (and I do mean INCREDIBLE) amount of posts and buzz that happened when the HVX was first announced -- the forum went insane. But now it's all kind of trickled away, down to a reasonable level of discussion. I expect that when we get closer to release, you'll see ads and articles and buzz all over the place -- and that fever pitch of interest will skyrocket up again.

(oh, and mmm -- tape *is* dead. It just doesn't know it yet. I plan on using my HD100 with HDV Rack most of the time. Tape is simply despicable!)

Leave a comment:

• SkiUtah
    replied
    Originally posted by Indy
    Barry,
    Since the HVX was announced I have seen not ONE... not ONE mention of it in any of the UK video magazines in any context whatsoever.
    Wow, I have a pile of recent video mags here on my desk, and ALL of them have either a 2 page spread or even an entire feature about the cam. I find you saying you haven't seen one mention very hard to believe.

Originally posted by Indy
    minimum of publicity leads to "DVX/HVX never heard of it" when you ask anyone other than a pro dealer". EVERYONE knows about the Sony.
    Indy....
    And EVERYONE knows about the dvx. Saying that people "haven't heard of the dvx" is just crazy. Name one movie in theaters that was shot in the FX1. I can name 3 that were shot with the DVX that are in thearters NOW.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X