-DVX100b-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KellyOlson-
    You're involved in politics, right? You think Jan doesn't know everything about DVX100B? Come on.
    Of course she does! She is the sole person in charge of that products' success in the largest market for it on earth. She proposes improvements for her product line and they are implemented.

Knowing and telling are different, as you're well aware. Hence, the boilerplate responses...

Comment

That is my point and yes, I was a politician, but try not to hold it against me.

However, Barry just made a very compelling and informed argument against my above position in the other thread "latest News". He has been around the Panasonic people and is much more aware than I am about the way Panasonic and its reps work.

He states that one day these cameras just pop up in the stores with no fanfare when they have minor changes. He said this is what happened when the DVX 100 "A" came out and that others do the same.

But I agree that somebody has to know the exact specs on the DVX 100 "B".

Comment

Oh, certainly there are people who know what the specs are. But I cannot think of a single case where an existing camera that's being updated/replaced, has its features or changes discussed before the new camera is available.

Even in software that doesn't happen. People may know that Vegas 6 is coming, but it's *impossible* to pry the details of what the upgrades are until the product is available (or, at least a couple of days away from being available). It just doesn't happen.

Think back to the Kaypro computers -- probably the classic example. Kay announced his new computer, and then announced what the next one would have in addition. So nobody bought the current model and Kaypro ended up going bankrupt, starving for cash flow, because everybody was waiting for the next model. (obviously that's an extreme example; the changes in computers are dramatically more significant than the revisions camcorders typically see, especially revisions that warrant a "letter change" in the name -- i.e., DVX100 to DVX100A).
        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

i cant believe people still talk about Kaypro lol.. its a myth! Kaypro actually is still around, making PC's for commercial customers. The whole bragging thing was actually Osborne computers, that bragged about new features and models 2 generations ahead of the soon to be released computer... and it wasn't that that killed them, Kaypro killed them by making a faster product for cheaper.. so Kaypro went on top. Kaypro went 10 years after that before filing for bankruptcy the first time.

Comment

If I may shift the direction of this interesting discussion.....

At least the very announcment ...or the intention to launch a DVX100B... is a hint from Panasonic that they conisder DVX and HVX as different league cameras. Am I right in my perception...what do you guys think?

This is important question for all those who are thinking to 'upgrade' further from their DVX100 or 100A. In some other threads there seems to be a 'presupposition' that hvx is the 'logical' upgrade to dvx? I have always bllieved that that is not the case...and these two lines of cameras remain fiercely independent of each other in their own unique styles.
            Aejaz

Comment

Jan's clearly said that the DVX and the HVX are two totally separate, totally viable product lines. They intend to sell them both for the foreseeable future, side by side. The DVX is likely to remain at least $2,000 less expensive than the HVX (and at street price, maybe closer to $3,000 less!) That puts them in a whole different world.

So yes, Aejaz, I agree with you and I believe, from Jan's earlier statements, that your assessment is spot-on. The DVX and HVX are not in competition with each other, and both will go forward for as long as the public continues to buy them.

And yes, Jarred is totally correct, it was OSBORNE, not Kaypro! I blew that one...
              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

thanx...Barry
                Aejaz

Comment

i dont pretend to be an expert on all of this camera stuff but im about to buy my first "good" camera having shot a few movies on a piece of crap sony.

to me, the reason it makes sense to wait for the dvx100b is that panasonic just had a rebate on 100a, if i'm not mistaken, that lasts through the end of the month. it sounds like they're trying to get rid of all the 100a's before the 100b comes out because no one will want the 100a once b is on the street.

ultimately, the company isnt about satisfying the customer, its about making money. just follow the money and you can see that the 100b is clearly going to be a better camera, hopefully significantly better, than the 100a.

Comment

Well, if the DVX100B had the following upgrades:
                    1. 16:9
                    2. P2 Slot(s)
                    3. DVCPRO25/50

I would say that that would make for a terrific B camera to the HVX200 when shooting in SD.
                    "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
                    Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
                    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
                    Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

Comment

I doubt the DVX100B will have any of those Jack, probally just a color change and a few tweaks that still where missing from the 100a upgrade.

Comment

Jack, I gotta go with Jarred on this one. I cannot imagine a world where *any* of those features would be likely on a "letter revision". Those are huge, massive changes to the manufacturing process. Any one of those would be reason enough to make a new model, and probably call it a DVX150 or DVX200.

(or, more likely, they'll introduce a camera that has all those changes, but they'll call it "HVX200").

Comment

Yeah, they oughta fix the headphone output. That's definitely something that got "left out" from "A"

Comment

The DVX does need 16:9 to stay competetive, at least in the UK. The US appears to be going straight from 4:3 to 16:9 HD for a lot of people.

I wonder if they will change the CCDs...?? Doubt it, but it would make sense.
                            http://www.mikemarriage.com

Comment

Well, "need" is a strong word. If you were choosing between a Sony FX1 (with its native 16:9 chips) or a 4:3-chip DVX100A (in 25p/thin/squeeze), which do you think will produce the better, higher-res image for your standard-def broadcast?

If you're talking about shooting 50i, then yes, the FX1 would have the advantage clearly. But if you're shooting film-style 25p, the Squeeze-mode DVX is already directly competitive, just as high-resolution, and then offers all the other bonuses too (cinegamma, latitude, sensitivity etc).

If your goal is to get full-resolution 16:9 footage, with a filmlike feel, the DVX is already absolutely and thoroughly competitive. It already puts out images that are as high-res as that "native 16:9" camera does.*

As far as the US, I do believe you're right on that -- looks like we're not even going to bother with 16:9 SDTVs. I doubt we'll ever see a 16:9 standard-def broadcast in the US.

*granted the DVX/Squeeze isn't as high-res as an XL2 in 24p/NORM/16:9, but then again that mode threatens to introduce interlace line flicker/twitter. The DVX/Squeeze delivers as much resolution as an interlaced television can handle without twitter.

Comment

Well, like I said in the other thread, whatever it ends up being I'm getting one and I'm certain I will be very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X