Blue in Green - DVX feature - NYC & LA Screenings in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue in Green - DVX feature - NYC & LA Screenings in April

I wanted to let other DVX enthusiasts in Los Angeles and New York City know about two upcoming screenings because this forum was my main source of "tech support" during the production. For that, I am eternally grateful. I'll continue to update this post as screening info becomes available.

ABOUT BLUE IN GREEN
    Using the human face as its landscape, this dogme-esque exploration of desire takes place over the course of one night, and was crafted by 'UNICA', a filmmaking collaborative that shares a group credit. Born out of a deep collaboration between the filmmakers and the highly gifted cast, this unscripted and entirely improvised story culminates in a simple and unforgettable moment of truth and beauty.

NYC Screening
    Wednesday, April 6th, 8:00 PM
    NewFilmmakers at Anthology Film Archives
    32 Second Avenue / New York, NY 10009 / (212) 505-5110

LA Screening
    Wednesday, April 13th, 8:00 PM
    2005 International Beverly Hills Film Festival
    Clarity Theatre / 100 N. Crescent Dr. / (310) 779-1206

go to www.blue-in-green.com for further details

“...the most important production in independent film...this year.”
    – Kevin Thomas, THE LOS ANGELES TIMES

“...compelling...don't miss this...”
    – Ron Stringer, LA WEEKLY

“...innovative, unforgettable...”
    – Gregory Wolfe, IMAGE JOURNAL

STORY
    On the night of her 35th birthday, Colleen throws a party to introduce her closest friends to Dan, the man she is certain is the love of her life. None of them have met Dan, and everybody eagerly anticipates his arrival. However, Dan's conspicous absence begins to have an unexpected effect on the party, as truths unfold.

THEME
    Blue in Green examines suffering caused by desire, and reveals for Colleen over the course of one night’s event, a path to confronting the truth of her essential incompleteness.

click here to view the trailer

Please visit the website for more information and full reviews: www.blue-in-green.com

8pm, Wednesday, April 6th
    The Anthology Film Archives
    32 2nd Avenue @ 2nd Street
    (212) 505-5181
    $5 admission

8pm, Wednesday, April 13th
    Beverly Hills Film Festival
    The Clarity Theatre
    100 N. Crescent Dr.
    (310) 779-1206
    tickets available online

See my movie DOWN AND DANGEROUS on iTunes!
    YOUTUBE :: INSTAGRAM :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB

cygnet74, looks great!

The trailer makes me want to see the movie. We all know or have known someone in a similar situation...

Really dug the music too...

My only criticizm would be I think the trailer is a tad too long.
    Finished two short documentaries in the past 2 years. Writing script for 3rd feature film for planned 2015 production.

Check out my two award-winning DVX100a feature films "Schism" and "There Are No Goodbyes"

Read the lengthy and informative "Schism" DVXUser thread here!

Comment

Very nicely done! Where was the film shot?
      Jerrod
      West Coast Production Sales
      Abel Cine Tech
      http://www.abelcine.com

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." - Diderot

Comment

I really like the one-sheet design. Very nice.
        www.kylestauffer.com

Comment

Looks excellent! I'm in NYC, so I'll do my best to check it out.

Tell us about the process to shoot the film. Did you use the anamorphic adapter on any of the cameras? Was the audio recorded on DAT, or to the DVX directly? What did you edit on, and how long did it take?

DETAILS!!! ;)

Seriously, it looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it.
          Jaime Vallés
          AJV Media
          Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Comment

I'm in LA on the 6th
            I'll try to check it out!
            http://www.lloydchoi.com

Comment

well, lets see. we started with a very simple ensemble idea: a party. for six weeks we explored and developed characters with the actors in improv sessions. two writers took from those sessions and created a structure for the film. scenes, character arcs, everything was written except for dialogue. when it came time to shoot, the actors were given opposing objectives (sometimes simple, sometimes complex) for each scene. by this point the cast new their characters so well, they were freed to from the 'schtick' actors often rely on, and able to be in the moment. this resulted in a great many surprises and very real moments that often changed our expectations for the story.

55 hours of dailies were edited down to 91 minutes over the course of six months. one editor would cut and each week a core group of seven would meet to discuss the edit and give feedback. some pick-ups were done during this time as well when the film clearly needed something.

as i said we shot on three dvx100's, MP of -6 (i believe) and underexposed 1 to 2 stops to be "pushed"; during color correction. sound was done with two boomed audio-technica's and occasionally wireless lavs going to a mix board and then fed back into the 'A' camera. the audio was routed to channel 1 and channel 2, however channel 2 was recorded a few db lower in case of the unexpected shout, scream or laugh, or slamming of a door. color correction was done with Digital Film Tool's Digital Film Lab plugin (a bargain!). score was recorded by a jazz group (www.tierneysutton.com) in a studio. final stereo mix was done in my own facilities in final cut.

Comment

Originally posted by abeljerrod
                Very nicely done! Where was the film shot?
                all the filmmakers live in los angeles. and the film was shot in encino.

Comment

I just came from the screening in NYC. Very impressive! It was being projected onto a big screen (35 to 40 feet diagonal, I'd guess) and it looked great. Seriously. I expected to see the "videoness" in some shots... never happened. Nice, handheld camerawork (not super shakey) and excellent acting made for a thoroughly enjoyable, intriguing film. I went to see DVX footage projected on a big screen, and was blown away by the look. It's unreal that this footage came out of a $3500 video camera and a bunch of $5 tapes. Unreal.

I got a chance to speak to the DP who was there, and he said it looked darker than usual because they had to transfer to Digibeta in order to use the theater's projector. I noticed it at first, but because the story was compelling and the acting was superb, I forgot about it in a couple of minutes.

If anyone else has a chance to see it, I highly recommend this film. Different, honest, and, at times, very funny. Congratulations to everyone involved in it's making.
                  Jaime Vallés
                  AJV Media
                  Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Comment

thank you for the kind words, jrv3034. yes, the projection was not ideal. first we lost a bit of detail bumping it to Beta SP for the exhibition and on top of that the projectionist did not stick to the tweaks we made earlier in the day resulting in a darker, more muted image than was intended. that aside, it was great getting the chance to chat with fellow DVX users after the Q&A. thanks for coming!

Comment

Working...
                    X