Any DVX films at SXSW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any DVX films at SXSW?

Am in Austin for SXSW Film & Interactive Festival this week. Am trying to assemble a list of movies to target catching. Anyone know if any of the films shot with DVX?
    http://2005.sxsw.com/film/screenings...005-03-11.html

Waterborne on Sunday Morning is a DVX100A film. Murderball on Monday night. This one is a know great film. Won an Audience Favorit, Best Documentary Award at Sundance.

Have fun,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

Another one is "Cavite" which was shot in the Philippines.

www.cavitemovie.com
      www.hinsonfilms.com

Comment

Thanks Jan and HinsonFilms! I'll mark those films in my calendar for the week. Unfortunately, I missed 'Waterbourne' this morning, but caught comments from folks exiting the theatre who had some good things to say about the quality.

On a side topic, they had a panel discussion this afternoon at the festival on emerging technical trends (reps from Avid, Kodak, Lucasfilm, and a couple directors). Kinda disappointed since I detected a bit of negativity towards DV filmaking from the panelists (not surprising given Kodak was a big participant, I guess). One of the panelists in fact called the wave of 24p cameras 'flavor of the week' technology, and said he had a lot of friends who bought one (either DVX or Canon) and never even opened the boxes. One of the very short-sighted comments (in my opinion) was from one of the panelists who told the audience (primarily first time filmakers) that if they ever wanted to have their work seen widely, they better bake in the extra $30K cost for film, or else it would be like playing the lottery (saying ~1 DV film per year ever gets seen- i.e. Open Water, Blair Witch, etc).
        Avid mentioned aspects of DV technology presented challenges to them since they had to predict how much R&D to dedicate to an emerging technology (like 24p was a year or two ago), and would it provide enough ROI for them before it would be replaced by HD (for example) in 12-18 months.
        Fortunately, one director on the panel (whose DV work cl.one was shown at the festival) tried to offset some of the negativity by re-directing of the discussions. Still, came away disappointed with some of the views expressed by some of these supposed experts on the future of filmaking.

Comment

I'm reasonably certain "The Puffy Chair" was shot with the DVX. The filmmakers are Mark and Jay Duplass. It's an excellent example of low budget Indie Filmmaking. It's playing today (3/16) @4:30 at the Paramount. I highly recommend it.

To address the topic of film vs DV, the one most important aspect of successful filmmaking is (almost) always a good story. Tarnation is a recent example. Arguably the bottom line is the acquisition format needs to be only as good as to not distract from the story...AND THIS COMING FROM A DP!

Comment

Working...
          X