So how did you afford your DVX?

Roadkill475

So I kind of get 'razzed' by my friends because when they find out how much the DVX costs they look at me like I committed some sort of crime.....I mean, it could just be because it's a college atmosphere where everyone is eating ramen and paying off their college loans...But that lead me to ask myself this question.....

I have to explain to them that I didn't just go out and spend three grand for the hell of it....I had to sell my car last summer, which I still miss to this day, to get the money to pay for this beast....In the end, it was totally worth it.....

Which makes me wonder how other people afforded paying for their cameras....Especially people that are younger than me....Did you work all summer? Rich folks? present? Selling your kidney on ebay? Not to make anyone feel bad, I'm just really interested in hearing some good stories....

I was really interested so I asked one of my buddys' friends who had a DVX how he paid for his...He told me he practically had to starve...haha...His way of saying he just have to save a lot of money over the year and buy things only where there was a sale....:beer:

Last edited:
I bought my DVX when I was going into my senior year in High School. I had worked since 8th grade year round with 40hr/week summers.

It sucked. Sucked really bad, but I have yet to have had to find a job in college (sophomore) and can still support my hobby/profession.

Last summer I had my DVX and all it's support equipment paid off in full. People my age I meet think I have generous parents, which I do. But they have never financially supported my video ventures.

My dad and i split it 50/50. I worked full time, everyday, (i even worked the two weeks i booked off) and i made a good 2500 dollars theere. So i was able to pay him the half, and buy some accesories, like tripods and mics and what not. My dvx was 4100 wit 3 year warranty

Last summer I had my DVX and all it's support equipment paid off in full. People my age I meet think I have generous parents, which I do. But they have never financially supported my video ventures.

Same...Being in college filming and editing have had to stay at just a hobby for now...No idea what's gonna happen once I get out but I know it's something I wanna continue to pursue....

Good to hear some stories, anyone else wanna chime in?

I worked a lot in high school and was able to save up a little. But a solid 2 grand came from a scholarship that was awarded to me for high scores on a standardized test. I waited to cash in on that until I had enough saved to by the camera plus accessories. So by Sophmore year of college I had a healthy 2 grand saved. The timing was perfect because the B camera had just been released and BH had a $400
rebate on it. So I got a brand new dvx100B (2 year warranty) for $3100 and had an extra $900 to spend on tripods, mics, pelicans...all kinds of goodies that make my friends jealous. It was pretty much the best purchase I've ever made.

Well lets see here...

4 years of working in a university video lab...

But I bought lighting and grip gear first, NOT a video camera. I did things differently, I bought the "investment" gear first, then when I was ready to find a camera, technology had advanced quite a ways, and before you know it, I had a DVX Andromeda system in my hands.

Oh, and just in case your wondering, I always just shot with other peoples cameras when I only owned lighting and grip gear, cause no one else had any, just a bunch of HVX and DVX owners and no lights in sight :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Well lets see here...

4 years of working in a university video lab...

But I bought lighting and grip gear first, NOT a video camera. I did things differently, I bought the "investment" gear first, then when I was ready to find a camera, technology had advanced quite a ways, and before you know it, I had a DVX Andromeda system in my hands.

Oh, and just in case your wondering, I always just shot with other peoples cameras when I only owned lighting and grip gear, cause no one else had any, just a bunch of HVX and DVX owners and no lights in sight :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Interesting angle you came in at mate! :)

I busted ass all summer working overtime and gettng under payed at a boy scout camp. Then some generous donations (well gifts) by some good people and a loan from my aunt, and I still could only afford a used DVX100. But whatever, I am still stoked.

I saved from like junior year in high school, then had a graduation party and some other video jobs to get me the money. I still am not disappointed with it.

I had jobs lined up before I purcahsed my DVX. Had it paid off before my credit card bill even came in.

i like Chris' approach, but for me it was pretty easy to rent a light kit for free or for pretty cheap....cheaper than renting a camera.

Been working since I was 16 (18 now) and sold my previous setup (vx1000, century mark 1 lens, bescor 20/40 watt light) and bought just the dvx itself and then bought some more accessories as i got more money

I went the same route as Chris....
Bought lighting, grip, and some sound gear as I could - working and saving.
Everyone I knew had bought cameras, so I always had plenty to borrow, because I had gear that none of them had.

Once it made sense for me to buy my own camera, I was able to get enough work lined up to have the HVX paid for before the bill came in.

(I realize you were asking about DVX's...but I figured in theory its all the same)

Spent my Income tax plus some savings and bought my cam and some accesories such as UV filter, tripod and head, mike, etc. I'm pretty happy with my panny.:grin:

This is a pure hobby for me (alas, really nothing to show for it). I've been lucky - I work for a company that offered me some form of stock options when I started 6 years ago. I never thought I would see it, but 5 years later, I had to cash it in and used some of it to feed my very expensive hobby.

I just stole mine. Best criminal decision I've ever made.

J/K. I graduated with a degree in Broadcasting and I spent the money from presents on the cam.

Well, just as Luis, I bought an HVX, P2 Card, tripod, mic and other stuff.

During my 6 months inetrnship in Japan I saved from my scholarship. At the end I also got a bonus from the company.

And my parents gave me a loan.

This is totally the way to go. Everyone thinks that if they can just get the camera that their life will be made. I would take a lower-end camera and nice lights vs a nice camera and no lights. If you have lights there are always people needing them. If you have a camera, people will only be paying you if you can use it well. Lights pay for themselves.

Just chiming in late on this thread.....
Saved a little beforehand, but paid for the camera with a credit card. It didn't take long to pay off. It depends on what kind of work you might do or have lined up.

Right now I'm toying around with the idea of buying an Arri fresnel kit which always seems to be in demand. At least by me.

Back