No announcement yet.

So how did you afford your DVX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could not afford a new one, so I watched this site and it's classifieds every day. I found a "b" model that had 102 hours on it, but had been tipped over and cracked the LCD screen which no longer worked. The seller who lived convieniently near me wanted $1100. Everything else worked perfectly. I bought it in August 08 and have really enjoyed using it

Comment

I've got an HVX, not a DVX. But to pay for it all I had to do was roll my car a bunch of times, and let the insurance money do the rest... Not the most fun or painless ways to get some money, but I think it was a pretty solid investment...

Last edited by btownproductions; 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM. Reason: Couldn't get the picture to work at first...
      sigpic

Comment

I had 3 different jobs this last summer and over 50 hours a week, but it was worth every minute and a small price to pay for something i'm really interested in.

Comment

I had to steal mine

Comment

i had 3 fund raisers, two bbq plate sales and a pc raffle. that got me close to 2 grand. the rest came from my part time job.

Comment

I used to shoot 16mm film. I had two Bell & Howell 70 cameras (one 70DR and one 70HR), a Bolex H16, four platter Steenbeck editing table, assorted lenses, a Nagra recorder and various other items. I sold everything but the Bell and Howell 70DR and bought my DVX100B.
              Last edited by Paladin; 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

True story: I got harassed at work, filed a complaint, hired a lawyer and with his help settled out of court. I got a nice severance package from my company (who didn't want it to go to court at all) and with some of the money, I bought my HVX200.

Sounds scummy, yes, but I did nothing wrong. I thought I'd made a positive out of something really negative and for that, I'm glad I bought my camera

Comment

I am a bit older with a college age kid and 2 other teens. I made them wear paper bags and eat dirt for a year. Got the DVX on day 366.....
                  The stories are great. People that know what they want and then bust tail to get it. Thats what following your dreams is all about. Your passion drives you.
                  "I don't think there's any artist of any value who doesn't doubt what they're doing." Francis Ford Coppola

Comment

Originally posted by dalethompson View Post
                    True story: I got harassed at work, filed a complaint, hired a lawyer and with his help settled out of court. I got a nice severance package from my company (who didn't want it to go to court at all) and with some of the money, I bought my HVX200.

Sounds scummy, yes, but I did nothing wrong. I thought I'd made a positive out of something really negative and for that, I'm glad I bought my camera
                    that might be my fav so far :P
                    Originally posted by TimurCivan
                    one is french and its different for that reason.

Comment

I liked reading all of the stories here. After reading how many people slaved away for years to get theirs I feel kind of crummy saying that mine was a graduation present from my parents. But, the reason my parents agreed to this was that I had gotten into Penn State and gotten an internship at Air Products. So... Plus I paid for all the extras (libec tripod, pelican case, extra batteries, etc.). I mean I have been into film/video since I was like 8 years old and I have stuck with it so they didn't take too much convincing. The funny thing is that I am majoring in electrical engineering in school and the internship at Air Products was for engineering and yet my two biggest hobbies, film and music recording, are on the opposite end of the spectrum from the uptight engineers. In fact I wanted to double major in film and electrical engineering but because they are so different it would have taken like six and a half years to graduate with a bachelors in each. Anyway, it was cool to see all the different approaches to attaining a DVX. I can easily say that my two favorite possessions are my DVX and my fender strat.
                      "Procrastination is the greatest laborsaving invention of all time."

"...you must be an alchemist, because only a poser would use any type of metal he didn't make himself... "

Comment

researched alot and drooled over it for about 4 months...got the opportunity to do a commercial. The commecial allowed me to pay for it new along with a Kata bag,extra batteryand uv filter
                        http://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/jambred

Comment

Nice

O borrowed around 4000$ from my father to pay for the dvx100a and the sgpro +1 lens..

kinda sucks to pay back though.. but I'm happy that I didn't have to take a loan and pay any interest..

Comment

I actually won mine in my junior year of high school from a local teen video festival. Before that I had a sony vx2100 that I had spent years saving up for

Comment

Well my main focus has always been to film skateboarding, so i started out in the Sony VX series. I bought a Vx2000 and found out upon arival that it was PAL formatted, so I sold it on ebay, bought a VX1000, which was more suited towards my needs.

I borrowed money from my dad and got the rest of the typical skate setup, vx1000, century fisheye, bescor light. A month after my fisheye arrived it got smashed (before i even had it paid off), And my camera malfuntioned. I found out when i sent my camera for repair the previous owner had spilled a soda on it, and tried to fix it himself, in turn, partially shorting the power board. It came back fixed but the problems returned within a few months.

So, after a total of about three grand of gear and repairs, within a year all i had left was a video light.

I decided i would step it up and invest in new gear, skipping the ebay scene. I decided not to borrow from my dad again and earn it through time. I worked 40 hour weeks, somtimes 13 hour days at a resturaunt to save up for my new camera. After months and months of spending no money. I was there. I ordered my 100b about three weeks ago and have loved it since it arrived at my door.

A funny note (not funny at the time), the first time i used my DVX, i powered up, threw a tape, hit record, and the tape jammed the supply reel. So you could say i've had some poor fortune.

But my cameras perfect now, ill have my fisheye in a few weeks and ill be set for a while from there.

Comment

lucky, must have a rich ass school. my coaches would make our injured players or a parent film it. ridiculous!

anyways, a great deal of my production equipment was purchased through a few months of working my serving job, and some financial aid money from school. I must say, these purchases are some of my greatest investments and I hope someday the few thousand I invested early will make me money in the future. I have been on my own since I turned 18, which sucks ass especially when I was jobless for the first 14 months. -_-
                                Canon 7D with Nikon 28 f2.8, 50 f2.0 and 85 f2.0+zoon h4n+Audio Technica 897+Cool Lights Fresnels (1 150, 2 300s and a 650w)

Comment

Working...
                                X