Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anomie
    replied
    I got a pretty large thankyou-bonus/gift from the school I work as a volunteer for four years now. (I took over the ICT department, which was one teacher and a company who only got payd but never did anything. After that four years I have helped the school entering the digital age, installed and managed two servers and standard desktop pc's and played helpdesk for all problems with the hardware and software. After three and a half year the school got a new head and she wanted tot pay me. But I had made a contract for myself that said I could never ask money for it. Then the school decided to give me a present. That was an envelope filled with money. I did not say no.)

I knew I wanted to buy a secondhand prosumer camera from the start so I started reading and talking around. My options were:
    -Sony VX200
    -Canon MX2
    -DVX100

I called and texted with a professional director, a professional editor and a professional DP and told them about the options. They all said 'buy the DVX! throw in extra money if you have to.' Didn't have to throw in extra money for the deal, luckily.

The buying itself was also quite interesting. I had to go to a shady part of Amsterdam and started fearing it was going to be a ripdeal. Stood there waiting in a very worn down street. Rang the bell five times in five minutes then called the seller's cellphone. Turned out he had gone out to get some food. Fifteen minutes later he finaly showed up. Behind the door there appeared to be a music recording studio. He was a musician/producer who also owned a 'professional' camera to offer the option of a videoclip to his clienst. But since there is a financial crisis in Europe, everyone sits on their money. So he got clients who wanted a nice demo recorded, but nobody was up for a videoclip. He had his own record finished and had used the camera to make a videoclip for that (looked like sh*t, but I didn't say that of course). Now he had to create funds for promoting his record as he had no distributor yet. Had to sell stuff he did not use. Had to sell his DVX.

So there I was. Read through a big load of dvxuser topics and posts, bought Barry Green's book, bought more books, and shot quite a lot of footage as an exercise.

Turns out I can quite easily use my film ambitions and DVX at my dayjob. And I have I nice dayjob: something for the gouvernment (even have a suit I sometimes have to wear). Access to nice locations for future use. And so far the like what I deliver. (I don't, for the most of it. I am a beginner and it shows painfully. But I can see progress....)

Jasper

Leave a comment:

• andythefilmer
    replied
    I got an unbelievable deal on a Sony VX2000 on ebay, but then in January, a bunch of ******* kids came up to me and snatched the camera right in front of me then ran off. Luckily, it was in front of my house, so homeowner's insurance reimbursed the cost of a new "VX2000". I got an unbelievable deal on the DVX too.

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Daniel
    replied
    Being only 16 and a junior in high school, I am fortunate enough to not have to be making payments aand living expenses etc. The money I saved for my dvx came basically from 3 things:
    -Money I had received as gifts for my birthday/the holidays.
    -Money I made earning minimum wage working every single day this past summer.
    -And money I made selling many of my possessions on ebay.
    With a fair amount saved up, I started hunting around for deals on a dvx on the marketplace and just last week picked up a used dvx100b andromeda for what I believe was an unbelievable deal, and am completely stoked on!

After so using so many dvx's, I am so excited to finally have one of my very own. And after all that time and saving it I am glad to say that it was worth it!

Leave a comment:

• joemiked
    replied
    Originally posted by El Producto View Post
    I just stole mine. Best criminal decision I've ever made.

J/K. I graduated with a degree in Broadcasting and I spent the money from presents on the cam.
    yeah!!! good one!!
    i was so broke when i decided to go for a dvx!!

working two jobs one standing on my feet doing inventory with a bunch of bad attitudes and managers favorites.

i spent maybe 4 months hording soem cash ,then acualy buying 2 dvx getting ripped off before going with an authorized dealer paid cash, started getting odd video jobs then the computer nle just takes the cake! now im into a new nle
    and still have my dvx 245 hours since new works and peopel still ask me to shoot or edit for them.
    mike d
    www.mikedvideo.com

Leave a comment:

• rcolazo89
    replied
    lucky, must have a rich ass school. my coaches would make our injured players or a parent film it. ridiculous!

anyways, a great deal of my production equipment was purchased through a few months of working my serving job, and some financial aid money from school. I must say, these purchases are some of my greatest investments and I hope someday the few thousand I invested early will make me money in the future. I have been on my own since I turned 18, which sucks ass especially when I was jobless for the first 14 months. -_-

Leave a comment:

• Scottish
    replied
    Well my main focus has always been to film skateboarding, so i started out in the Sony VX series. I bought a Vx2000 and found out upon arival that it was PAL formatted, so I sold it on ebay, bought a VX1000, which was more suited towards my needs.

I borrowed money from my dad and got the rest of the typical skate setup, vx1000, century fisheye, bescor light. A month after my fisheye arrived it got smashed (before i even had it paid off), And my camera malfuntioned. I found out when i sent my camera for repair the previous owner had spilled a soda on it, and tried to fix it himself, in turn, partially shorting the power board. It came back fixed but the problems returned within a few months.

So, after a total of about three grand of gear and repairs, within a year all i had left was a video light.

I decided i would step it up and invest in new gear, skipping the ebay scene. I decided not to borrow from my dad again and earn it through time. I worked 40 hour weeks, somtimes 13 hour days at a resturaunt to save up for my new camera. After months and months of spending no money. I was there. I ordered my 100b about three weeks ago and have loved it since it arrived at my door.

A funny note (not funny at the time), the first time i used my DVX, i powered up, threw a tape, hit record, and the tape jammed the supply reel. So you could say i've had some poor fortune.

But my cameras perfect now, ill have my fisheye in a few weeks and ill be set for a while from there.

Leave a comment:

• Plumhead
    replied
    I actually won mine in my junior year of high school from a local teen video festival. Before that I had a sony vx2100 that I had spent years saving up for

Leave a comment:

• tommetass
    replied
    Nice

O borrowed around 4000$ from my father to pay for the dvx100a and the sgpro +1 lens..

kinda sucks to pay back though.. but I'm happy that I didn't have to take a loan and pay any interest..

Leave a comment:

• jambredz
    replied
    researched alot and drooled over it for about 4 months...got the opportunity to do a commercial. The commecial allowed me to pay for it new along with a Kata bag,extra batteryand uv filter

Leave a comment:

• yzmotoxer807
    replied
    I liked reading all of the stories here. After reading how many people slaved away for years to get theirs I feel kind of crummy saying that mine was a graduation present from my parents. But, the reason my parents agreed to this was that I had gotten into Penn State and gotten an internship at Air Products. So... Plus I paid for all the extras (libec tripod, pelican case, extra batteries, etc.). I mean I have been into film/video since I was like 8 years old and I have stuck with it so they didn't take too much convincing. The funny thing is that I am majoring in electrical engineering in school and the internship at Air Products was for engineering and yet my two biggest hobbies, film and music recording, are on the opposite end of the spectrum from the uptight engineers. In fact I wanted to double major in film and electrical engineering but because they are so different it would have taken like six and a half years to graduate with a bachelors in each. Anyway, it was cool to see all the different approaches to attaining a DVX. I can easily say that my two favorite possessions are my DVX and my fender strat.

Leave a comment:

• dory_breaux
    replied
    Originally posted by dalethompson View Post
    True story: I got harassed at work, filed a complaint, hired a lawyer and with his help settled out of court. I got a nice severance package from my company (who didn't want it to go to court at all) and with some of the money, I bought my HVX200.

Sounds scummy, yes, but I did nothing wrong. I thought I'd made a positive out of something really negative and for that, I'm glad I bought my camera
    that might be my fav so far :P

Leave a comment:

• dsto
    replied
    I am a bit older with a college age kid and 2 other teens. I made them wear paper bags and eat dirt for a year. Got the DVX on day 366.....
    The stories are great. People that know what they want and then bust tail to get it. Thats what following your dreams is all about. Your passion drives you.

Leave a comment:

• dalethompson
    replied
    True story: I got harassed at work, filed a complaint, hired a lawyer and with his help settled out of court. I got a nice severance package from my company (who didn't want it to go to court at all) and with some of the money, I bought my HVX200.

Sounds scummy, yes, but I did nothing wrong. I thought I'd made a positive out of something really negative and for that, I'm glad I bought my camera

Leave a comment:

• Paladin
    replied
    I used to shoot 16mm film. I had two Bell & Howell 70 cameras (one 70DR and one 70HR), a Bolex H16, four platter Steenbeck editing table, assorted lenses, a Nagra recorder and various other items. I sold everything but the Bell and Howell 70DR and bought my DVX100B.
    Last edited by Paladin; 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JFSanchez
    replied
    i had 3 fund raisers, two bbq plate sales and a pc raffle. that got me close to 2 grand. the rest came from my part time job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X