No announcement yet.

So how did you afford your DVX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just stole mine. Best criminal decision I've ever made.

J/K. I graduated with a degree in Broadcasting and I spent the money from presents on the cam.

Comment

Well, just as Luis, I bought an HVX, P2 Card, tripod, mic and other stuff.

During my 6 months inetrnship in Japan I saved from my scholarship. At the end I also got a bonus from the company.

And my parents gave me a loan.
      DVXUSER TimeFest!

Comment

Originally posted by cardmaverick View Post
        But I bought lighting and grip gear first, NOT a video camera. I did things differently, I bought the "investment" gear first, then when I was ready to find a camera, technology had advanced quite a ways, and before you know it, I had a DVX Andromeda system in my hands.

Oh, and just in case your wondering, I always just shot with other peoples cameras when I only owned lighting and grip gear, cause no one else had any, just a bunch of HVX and DVX owners and no lights in sight
        This is totally the way to go. Everyone thinks that if they can just get the camera that their life will be made. I would take a lower-end camera and nice lights vs a nice camera and no lights. If you have lights there are always people needing them. If you have a camera, people will only be paying you if you can use it well. Lights pay for themselves.
        Titus Films | Lawrence, Kansas
        www.titusfilms.com / blog

Comment

Just chiming in late on this thread.....
          Saved a little beforehand, but paid for the camera with a credit card. It didn't take long to pay off. It depends on what kind of work you might do or have lined up.

Right now I'm toying around with the idea of buying an Arri fresnel kit which always seems to be in demand. At least by me.

Comment

worked all last year as a junior in high school, and got my hvx this july
            AG-HVX200, 16GB P2, 160Gb Firestore FS-100, M2 Redrock Adapter, Nikon 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 50 f1.4, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

I'm just doing this thing for fun, and seeing if it can take me anywhere. Right now I just started filming for a bmx video, to learn the camera and how to edit.

I got the money for my camera by running a commercial fishing business in Alaska. I would love to film a documentary on it next summer, and hopfully have that lead me into filming nature docs.

Comment

Used some equity from my house. Guess I'll never pay it off. Unless I sell my home.

Comment

Sold my Jeep CJ-7.

Comment

I borrowed my brother's and started buying all the accessories
                    -tripod
                    -mics
                    -35mm adapter
                    -lenses
                    -editing stuff

now i know more about the camera than he does! I've probably put 90% of the hours on it.
                    AQUAVIVUS.COM

Comment

I first bought a Canon Optura 20 and taught my self how to shoot and edit. I then shot several instructional DVDs and started marketing them. As I began to make a decent income from video sales I started putting back money for a camera upgrade. I just relesed my first title shot with the DVX100b.

Comment

Same way I buy a lot of things I don't absolutely need... 0% APR balance transfer cards, then just pay off accordingly. It is a lot of cash to drop all at once on a hobby.

Comment

rich parents...
                          i offered to pay half but they didn't want it.

Comment

Glad to see a whole variety of stories...Still haven't seen one on selling kidneys on ebay....Kind of bummed....

Comment

I had to learn how to bartend,.. pretend I liked the people, and essentially sell my soul. I now have a MINT 100A, all the goods and a drinking problem...;).
                              although, its not as bad as it sounds....

Comment

I am Jumping in here pretty late, but I always wondered how people afforded their DVX.
                                For me I decided to start saving money my junior year of high school and then a little less then 2 years later I bought decent computer and my DVX.

Comment

Working...
                                X