Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE BEST OF AF100! What every great AF100 owner/shooter should see!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE BEST OF AF100! What every great AF100 owner/shooter should see!

ALL SHOT ON PANASONIC AF100

I have been fed up lately with all the camera worship and have to say this. I own an AF100, a Red Ome MX, and a Black Magic 4K model and BY FAR I love shooting with the AF100 and LOVE the images. Is it 4K??? No. Does it have the same Red or BMCC quality? Not without a Convergent Design external recorder and it gets PRETTY CLOSE if you go RAW. But for the sheer ease of shooting and post production simplicity. I love this camera and for shooters who can't afford the next best camera, this is MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to film your feature film, music videos, commercials, or TV pilots! Here are the pieces that are a MUST SEE for AF100 owners!

The Raid "Redemption"

Down and Dangerous

Less Lost

Siddharth

Champion (starring Alien actor Lance Henriksen)

A Shattered Mind

Hooray For Earth

Favor

The Forgotten Kingdom

Showdown

Stations

Turin Brakes - Ascencion Day

Nine Dollars

Somnium

The Waters Edge

Planet X ep. 1

Planet X ep. 2

Planet X ep. 3

Broken Faith

Infraction

Pacifica

The Right To Sadness

Justice

Fortune Cookie

Mexico (One Plate At A Time) PBS Series

Ebert Presents At The Movies (PBS Series)
    Last edited by dreallen; 05-28-2014, 07:42 AM.
    Dre Allen
    Owner/Director - ASG Films
    dre@asgfilms.com

Excellent collection.
    While showcasing the great capabilities of the 100, at the same time it shows how much more it takes to make a great image (or going further: movie), than a sensor in a box.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

Great list! I'm honored you included a film of mine on it.
      NJ Film School | Off Stage Films | Movie Poet

Comment

Don't forget the beautiful Siddarth by bgunda! Here's one of mine shot on the AF100. This is the trailer to "Justice" https://vimeo.com/93511345 I didn't want to take the liberty of embedding at the top of the thread but it's embeddable. ;)

I'm still shooting with the AF100. I have a few projects in the hopper. Some call for other cameras but for a good number of projects the AF100 is still getting it done! Over the years I learned by experience and suggestions here on this forum, how to use the tools available in there to make it sing. For me, as much as I can get the look in camera, so that I don't have to push it around too much in post, the better. It's all in there, even using the pedestal to guard highlights in B.Press. ( a recent discovery )The combinations are infinite. You just have to hang with it and you will produce beautiful images. It has made me a much better cinematographer. It has a look to it that people really love and so do I.
        Last edited by hscully; 05-28-2014, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Hey Chris! Thanks for the Kudos and your film deserves recognition! And Hscully...that "Justice" trailer looks absolutely beautiful! I can't BELIEVE I was STUPID enough to leave out SIDDHARTH! What a beautifully shot film. Looking at this list just makes me work THAT much harder to produce something worthy of joining the list itself! IM ON IT! lol
          Last edited by dreallen; 05-28-2014, 07:44 AM. Reason: additions
          Dre Allen
          Owner/Director - ASG Films
          dre@asgfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by hscully View Post
            For me, as much as I can get the look in camera, so that I don't have to push it around too much in post, the better. It's all in there, even using the pedestal to guard highlights in B.Press. ( a recent discovery )
            What does this mean? Can you explain how to use B.Press for this? I always thought the Cine gammas were the go to gammas.

Comment

A year ago joe748 started a nice thread and posted some very good looking screenshots to restore faith in your AF100. Have a look here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-in-your-AF100

He used the B.PRESS gamma and the results are really good. That's why some AF100 users left CINE D and started exploring B.PRESS (including me).

BTW hscully, I always appreciated your expertise and would be very interested in your findings about using the pedestal to guard the highlights in B.PRESS, too. Would you mind posting your specific settings here?

Comment

Well.. I may be on shakey ground here but I'll go ahead in the spirit of "not chickening out" to tell you what I did. B.Press enables Master Ped. I usually have it at 0 or lower on B.Press but on one test recently I pushed it up to 4 (I think). Master Pedestal effects the blacks really, not the highlights.. The problem was that we were to be out in broad daylight so I thought I'd increase the Master Ped to bring some more detail into the blacks which can look more crushed in B.Press. So this enabled me to stop down, which was actually what was enabling good exposure on the highlights, while still getting better detail in the blacks. I think... ;)

Anyway, I was really happy with the results. Here's a screenshot from that test.

HerDeletedPole.jpg

Comment

That's a great idea! I have an outdoor shoot coming up in a week. I'll have to experiment with this. Never thought of raising the master ped to allow more control on the highlights.
                  http://englisis.com

Comment

The screenshot looks great. Raising the master pedestal while stopping down the lens to protect the highlights sounds like a clever idea. I had the master pedestal on +2 most of the time, but now I'm going to play around a little bit with higher values. Thanks for your advice!

Comment

I didn't formerly test the converse, or reset the Master Pedestal in that situation to see the exact result of the setting, I was just trying stuff. So it's more of a tried hunch than a test. That grab is without grading. There's more in the shadows if you lift them a little in post. Too much master ped can give you noise so watch out for that. No free lunch and all ... ;)

Comment

To me it was a struggle to get the AF100 to work like how I wanted it. I think there are many great examples of excellent videos shot with this camera but it was a pain in the butt to nail the exact exposure and white balance. Going to the Sony F3 I have no regrets but still i like to see others great AF100 work.

Comment

Hm will have to sit down and watch all of these later. Currently rocking the nikon d7100 for video (and my photo work) but I don't like the dslr form factor. The thing for me is the af100 no longer a safe invest when it doesn't have the best image quality (how's the dynamic range, I really need to get my hands on one and test it) and how fast camera gear gets outdated? At the same time a used af100 goes for cheap prices and I love the xlr, nd, and form factor
                          Florida Based Photographer & Cinematographer
                          http://www.austinburke.photography/

Comment

Working...
                          X