White Shadows (not the TV series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Shadows (not the TV series)

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I recorded figure skaters on white ice for a skating show. Many of them have, where a dark shadow should be, a white shadow. The shadow is actually brighter than the ice.

Could you post a frame?

Comment

I will when I get home. A little more info: Shot on the AF100A onto a Samurai Blade. The white shadows are on the raw footage, so it's not my NLE's (Vegas Pro 13) doing. Also, I was indoors using Panasonic's H-PS14042 (12-42mm, f/3.5). I know, I know (now) I should've used a faster lens. Didn't have one at the time. Lighting changed constantly (due to the lighting guy) from normal, bright white to dark blues to dark greens hitting the rink floor.

Comment

Was DRS set to off? Sometimes a high setting of 2 or 3 on the dynamic range stretch feature can automatically gain up the shadows and create a ghosting effect.

Comment

Well, according to the manual, the factory setting of the DRS function is set to "OFF," and I know I didn't turn it on, so I'd say it was off.

Comment

Here's a screengrab.

Image1.jpg

Comment

I wasn't there, and I have no idea what your vectorscope and waveform looked like when you were exposing your image. But I would wager the LED lights used are an issue.

Comment

Also, when dealing with colored lights, the shadows sometimes get a colorcast from the lights used, and wont appear anything like the shadow from a white light source.
                http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/lig...esign/shadows/

Comment

I haven't seen this particular issue but event lighting people love to go into this blue/ultraviolet completely over-saturated color on their LEDs that looks great to the eye but wrecks havoc on almost any sensor. The blue channel clips hard and that creates all kinds of issues...maybe the camera is using DRS or some kind of knee that along with the blue LEDs is causing this issue.

Did the shadows look normal when the light was a different color/more full spectrum?
                  Daniel Colmenares

Comment

Yes. This white shadowing only occurred when the lighting went blue. Green, red and of course white gave normal dark shadows (another TV series reference, yay!).

Comment

Working...
                    X