AF100A/Timecode Noob Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF100A/Timecode Noob Questions

I am completely new to the AF100A, so let me just tell you all exactly what I want to do and tell me if the AF100A can do it (or what I need to do to accomplish my end goal).

I want to record video and audio at an event through the AF100A onto an Atomos Samurai Blade. At the same time, I have access to a mixing board at this event that I can patch into to get the announcer's voice so that in post I will lay his clear voice over the echo-y event audio I'll be recording onto the Samurai. What I have done in the past is visually align the audio waveforms (somewhat successfully) in post to overlay the clear announcer over the echo-y announcer.

What I'm hoping to do is record video and audio onto the Samurai, record the mixer's announcer onto a Tascam DR701-D timecode capable recorder, and then (utilizing timecode magic that I don't understand yet) sync the Tascam audio with the Samurai audio without having to line up waveforms anymore. Can this all be done with the equipment I mentioned?

I've read somewhere that the AF100 can do timecode, but only if it's "hand-jammed". I don't know what this means. I also don't know what SMPTE, LANC and rolling timecodes are (I have a lot to learn, I know).

I mean, I guess I could just input the "clear" announcer into one of the XLR inputs on the AF100A and just get it that way. But can I adjust his level (volume) in post if I do it this way? I don't know.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

The AF100 can sync to external timecode, but it won't stay absolutely sync'd, there's the possibility for "timecode drift". Even so, it should get you much closer than the visual sync method you've been using.

Recording the audio directly into the camera's XLR is the far preferable way to go. And yes, you could most definitely adjust his volume, both during recording and in post.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

I agree with Barry, it would be better to record the announcer in the AF100 directly, no post sync issues. The AF100 audio input can be set for mic level, recording the announcements from a mic., or a line level feed from the announcer's mixer board.
      DS

Comment

I suspect the OP intends to take his camera(s) to more advantageous viewing positions than next to the announcer. So double-system sound seems the way to go.
        The Plural Eyes software could help with synchronization.

Comment

A possible option might be a wireless transmitter on the board, and a wireless receiver on the camera...
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Working...
          X