No announcement yet.

Advice please for newbie interested in AF100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The paid update for the AF100 added PS recording mode (which is 28mbps 1080/50p or 1080/60p including audio in AVCHD), and the AF100A added the ability to output 1080p60 out the HDMI port. Both added additional frame guide ratios, the A model also got a punch in (zoom in) to aid focusing, and a new video processor board that smoothed out the 8-bit output to get a better 10-bit line output, dithering be last 2 bits to reduce banding on highlights, which improved performance a little with external recorders.

Comment

The paid update for the AF100 added PS recording mode (which is 28mbps 1080/50p or 1080/60p including audio in AVCHD), and the AF100A added the ability to output 1080p60 out the HDMI port. Both added additional frame guide ratios, the A model also got a punch in (zoom in) to aid focusing, and a new video processor board that smoothed out the 8-bit output to get a better 10-bit line output, dithering be last 2 bits to reduce banding on highlights, which improved performance a little with external recorders.

For me, as a former ENG cameraman, the AF100 afforded me the opportunity to explore Cine style shooting and improve the quality of the spots I was making, and improve out chroma key work, at an affordable cost. The AF100 has more features per $ than a lot,of "entry" level cameras, giving a variety of Cine image priesets (including B&W), improved IQ at the time it was released, over rank/under rank variable frame rates, MFT mount which accepted a large variety of lenses. Time has moved on, but for -$2K, the AF100 Srill has a lot to offer a new film maker.
      cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Haustein View Post
        https://vimeo.com/51497192

Besides the opening shot (that was a Canon 7D) I shot this whole short on an AF100 a couple years ago in one weekend in -10 degree temps using a 30mm Sigma prime 95% of the time. Saw it in a 300 seat theater and it held up pretty well. When I told people we did it on a AF100 everyone was amazed. With careful lighting (i.e. Not direct sunlight) the results can be wonderful.
        That was great, Nate! (and quite brillig!!!)

Comment

Working...
        X