AF100 and 60p upgrade - Resulting look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF100 and 60p upgrade - Resulting look

As a new user to the this camera I'm late to the show as others jump to later gear. Trying to decide if I should get the software upgrade to allow 60p timebase. Not sure I'm understanding this correctly, but is this taking me completely away from a film look? Have you had the upgrade, or own the AF100A and found the software enhancement useful for a particular type of job? thanks

I don't remember how much the upgrade costs but with a camera that age it's solely up to you whether it is worth it or not. Back in the day I had purchased an "A" model and here is a piece shot almost entirely at 60p.
    https://vimeo.com/83099445

There is no real downgrade image wise in my opinion, that camera doesn't resolve as much detail as others to begin with, but the advantage I would say for the upgrade is the ability to grab 10bit 4:2:2 externally. If you don't care about 10bit I say just put the money towards something like the GH3 for the 60p. Then you'll have a decent A/B set up too.

Comment

Thank you sir

Comment

Is 60p taking you completely away from a film look? Yes -- 60p is, inherently, the "live" or "video" look. 1080/60p could be useful for slow motion when integrated into a 1080/24p project, of course. But filming 1080/60p in 60p for display at 60p is pretty much the exact opposite of the "film" look.

It's a nice option to have, certainly; I'm not saying it's bad in any way, just pointing out that if your concern is making your footage more filmic, 1080/60p is not going to do anything to help that. It is for live footage, or for slow-mo.
        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

I see now. Thanks. Thought when you referred to "60p timebase" in your book that it might be talking about another way to get higher resolution even a 24fps. But understood now.

Comment

Working...
          X