Tired of DSLR... should I move to the AF100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ebrahim Saadawi View Post
    Based on this comment I just attached a Rode Video mic Pro (the older DSLR one with 20db Gain) to the GH4 3.5mm mic input, then attached it to the H4n 3.5mm input, and the audio quality is miles, miles, miles ahead on the zoom. For kicks, then I attached to the Zoom H1 input, and it sounds much better than the GH4.
    If I just use the GH4 as a recorder versus just using the Zoom H4n as a recorder...

1- The GH4 has a slightly lower noise floor ( -70 dB RMS ) compared to the Zoom H4n ( -66 dB RMS )

2- Using a professional mixer ( Sound Devices ) and using a professional mic ( Audio-technica AT4053b or Sennheiser 416 ) to deliver your audio signal, both devices ( GH4 and H4n) will record pretty much identical sound. ( just make sure your GH4 is in PCM WAV recording mode )

Comment

Originally posted by Ebrahim Saadawi View Post
      It's a pretty unscientific test, but in my experience with DSLR/mirrorless camera always proven in-camera audio quality is simply bad, it's only production-ready quality on camcorders like the C100, FS100, AF100, X70, etc, which seem to have much higher end audio components in there. There are two exceptions to this however, the GH4 with the YAGH module and the A7s with the KLM-XLR module, both terrific audio quality. I'd suggest OP to look into them if he needs internal synced audio. [/SIZE]
      ...And I've found exactly the opposite with GH2, GH3, and GH4 mirrorless cameras. In most cases it's the people using the gear that do not know what they are doing that is causing the problem with internally recorded audio.

Here's an example from 2012 shot with my hacked GH2, being fed signal from a Sennheiser wireless handheld mic. The GH2 has no way of monitoring the audio, but I had used this set-up so many times that I knew how to make it work.

Ronnie Burkett Interview using Internal GH2 Audio

Comment

How do you guys mount your Zoom so you can see it while shooting? i put it on top of the camera on the shoe mount but i have to get up on my tip toes to make sure it is still rolling while i'm shooting...
        i like this but can't figure out what he has going on:
        http://dpexperience.com/2010/03/18/r...-dslr-part-ii/

Comment

Originally posted by jrod81 View Post
          I'm nervous to defend myself... I'm nervous to post any of my work because I don't really want to hear all the things I did wrong, but I think it might be necessary to explain what it is that I do with these clients.
          I typically show up at their house. The appointment has been set up with the case manager at the firm. They only know that I am showing up with a camera to gather a glimpse .........
          This is not used to show on big screen or to sell on DVD or anything like that...
          No need to be nervous! That's one of the best "defensive" posts I've seen, and you've convinced me!

Which just goes to show there is rarely a one size fits all approach. I've seen some material which would actually have looked better with no (or at least less) lighting, but I've also seen too much which cried out for at least some frontal modelling. (And no circumstances such as in your case which ruled against lighting.)

Comment

Well I got a AF100 from a fellow forum member named BrandonT and I've been super impressed with him and how easy he's made the transaction... assuming he hasn't scammed me out of the money, I should be shooting with the camera by the end of the weekend... ha ha
            Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Working...
            X