Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So there's no AF100 Successor - Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a side note on lens gears, you can save a ton of money by 3D printing your lens gears. I found someone to 3D print 13 gears for $35 on 3dhubs.com.

Does anyone have experience with Cinevate lens gears?

eBay has knockoff Redrock gears for next to nothing, no idea of the quality though.

Here's another eBay one that's essentially seamless.

Comment

3D print gears are not a smooth as cut gears, getting custom cut FF gears is worth the extra cost. Everything else is a compromise in quality. Cordvision makes two types of hand cut FF gears, $45-50, you install yourself. Duclos gears are not much more, but you need to send your lens in. Top,of,the line are the new FF gears from Zeiss, designed for their new lenses, but they fit a variety of lenses, and come in three size ranges.
      Cheers

Comment

I think the GH5S would be a better AF100replacement contender, and was considering getting one, until Blackmagic announced their new “Pocket Camera” 4K, which uses the same sensor as the GH5S, but adds ProRes and Raw recording in camera. It also features a full HD 5-inch Monitor,which unfortunately is fixed on the camera back, but is very useable. Optimized for video and a Cine type shooting, this comes closest to a new MFT Cine type csmera, which like the AF100 has XlR mic inputput, pro audio recording 24 bit/48Hz and can record to external drives via its USB-C port — all for less than $1400!

It would be grand if Pannasonic would put the GH5S sensor back into a AF100 style case, with a full HD monitor, SDI/HDMI inputs, and two XLR mic inputs, whith one switchable to AES line input for usingmwith external mixers like the MicPreD. Add updated UHS2 SD cards or like BM’s new camera, One SD and one CFast slot. Keep all the previous AF100 features. But Doing this might cut into the EVA1 sales, so probably will not happen. The Pro Camera division (which the AF100 was in) came out with the $8K EVA1 instead.
        Cheers

Comment

Vardalos, nice looking rig by the way.
          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Denny16 View Post
            Vardalos, nice looking rig by the way.
            Cheers
            Thanks Denny it’s very compact, easy to work with and it dresses up my GH5 so that clients don’t say, think or wonder, who hired that still photographer for our video shoot?

Comment

For those interested, I have an AF100 kit for sale..... http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...onic-AF100-Kit

Comment

If you’ve been hoping that eventually there would be a camera to replace the AF100 this may be the camera to keep your eye on. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...gicursaminipro It’s Compatible with EF, PL, B4 and F mount lenses! If only it was available with a MFT mount…………Maybe next year after they see how well their new MFT 4K Pocket Camera does.

Comment

Originally posted by Vardalos View Post
                  If you’ve been hoping that eventually there would be a camera to replace the AF100 this may be the camera to keep your eye on. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...gicursaminipro It’s Compatible with EF, PL, B4 and F mount lenses! If only it was available with a MFT mount…………Maybe next year after they see how well their new MFT 4K Pocket Camera does.
                  Actually their new pocket 4k camera looks pretty interesting and uses MFT lenses, though the body looks more like a mirrorless camera than a cinema camera. Records to ProRes or raw

Comment

The new Blackmagic MFT 4K Pocket Camera stole the show at NAB. https://www.eoshd.com/2018/04/blackm...ch-ever-eoshd/

Comment

Yes, this camera (BMPC4K) comes closest to a AF100, save the body style, bit it has XLR audio, and one of the best sounding (audio quality wise) BN Cameras yet. Had MFT sensor and mount, records Video and Extended Video (softer than Rec709), ProRes and a Raw, CFast and SD card slots, an excellent 5-inch screen, with touch screen menu interface. Now only if it were in a AF100 type body, smaller and lighter than the Ursa Mini Pro.
                      Cheers

Comment

“Hope Springs Eternal” it’s human nature to always find a fresh cause for optimism.

Comment

I also have an AF100 kit with 5 batteries and a dual charger I will sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny16 View Post
                            Yes, this camera (BMPC4K) comes closest to a AF100
                            IMHO the JVC-LS300 comes closest in terms of spiritual successor.

Same mount (with MFT sensor crop option), dedicated audio compartment with XLR, internal ND, 4K, LOG gamma...etc.; so i think it's damn close to the AF100

Comment

My AF100 is now sold.

I have a 5D MkIII Kit which will be listed soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X