AF100/HMC150/AC130 & 160 users - DO NOT UPDATE to FCPX 10.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF100/HMC150/AC130 & 160 users - DO NOT UPDATE to FCPX 10.2

There is a known issue - I've just discovered for myself unfortunately and started reading about it on Apples support forum here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6992950?start=0&tstart=0

All of your AVCHD files will not playback in FCPX 10.2, you'll just get a black screen!
    seems to affect files from all Panasonic AVCHD cameras - can't confirm wether it affects GH2/3/4 but I'm guessing so

Thumbnails are visible in the browser but turn black when you try to scrub through them

Thumbnails in the timeline display but video does not play back in the viewer, only audio

BIG problem for me, hopefully not too late for some of you

*I'm running a new Mac Pro 2013 with clips rewrapped in Clipwrap and optimised for FCPX

FCPX10.2 works ok on my MacbookPro 2008 - may be a new MacPro problem only

the linked thread states someone from Divergent media has been contacted and they in turn spoke to someone at Apple who recognise the problem, hopefully a fix is on the way VERY soon

MODS - can you change title to add "if using new MacPro"
    Last edited by TubEfingers; 04-17-2015, 08:00 AM. Reason: Update
    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Originally posted by TubEfingers View Post
    the linked thread states someone from Divergent media has been contacted and they in turn spoke to someone at Apple who recognise the problem, hopefully a fix is on the way VERY soon
    I wouldn't put any credence in that statement by the guy who said he'd been talking to someone at Divergent Media, as he used the majority of his post to push their product on us! However, some of us on the thread (including myself) have been in email contact with Apple Support. Apple are definitely working on it, but they have given none of us any indication that it will be fixed soon, and they have only offered us a work-around at this stage, which is also quoted in the thread, but I'll re-quote from my email from Apple for our benefit here:

"1. In Finder, locate your problematic AVCHD files. If you are using an external media location, this should be easy. If your media are managed in the library, you can consolidate it out of the library to an external media location.

2. Use Compressor to transcode the problematic media to a high-quality format, such as ProRes 422, and target a folder on a very large volume since these new files will be larger than the originals. If you create a custom Location, you can choose an output folder as well as what you want appended to your file names. Something like “[Source]_PR” (for ProRes) would work well.

3. In Final Cut Pro, locate the problematic AVCHD clips. If you are viewing your library in List View, you can find them by sorting by the codec H.264. Move these clips into their own event.

4. If you have any optimized or proxy media created from these clips, they need to be deleted. Select the event, go to File > Delete Generated Event Files, and choose “Delete Optimized Media” and “Delete Proxy Media.”

5. With the event still selected, go to File > Relink Files, choose Relink: All, click Locate All, and target the folder of transcoded media.

I hope this temporary workaround works for you, and thank you for your patience and continued support."

Comment

Thanks for the update David - my initial post was to summarise the info I'd scanned through on the Apple forum and get it up on here ASAP to raise awareness of the issue so that other users could avoid the update and related problems.

My production company uses 2 x AF101, 1 x HMC151 and 1 x AC161 and a 2013 MacPro so this is a massive pain in the ass until they fix it - fortunately the 2 MacbookPro's seems to be ok.
      EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

Apple have officially responded today.
        It's not very encouraging regarding an ETA for a fix.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6650

Comment

I received the same link from ProApps, emailed back to explain that doesn't work for me,
          I don't have time to reimport/transcode/relink multiple large ongoing projects - I'm gonna stick to using the Macbook Pro and hope they get this sorted very soon, but like you say, no indication of them even working on a fix in the link
          EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

Update - Whilst MacbookPro's are capable of playing back and scrubbing AVCHD clips with only intermittent black screen, its not possible to export the AVCHD edit from the timeline, i get errors, which means having to transcode all my project files to a ProRes format to finish client edits
            EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

Yes, that is precisely my experience. My MBP will only allow me to export projects if I first transcode the original footage to optimised. My iMac (like your Mac Pro) gives me constantly black footage and I can't even transcode the footage within FCPX. It's dead in the water.

Comment

were you using FCPX 10.1.4 with Yosemite previously without any of these AVCHD issues?
                EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

No issues within FCPX 10.1.4, however, I had noticed that QuickTime X was giving me black AVCHD footage after either the 10.10.2 or the 10.10.3 update.

Comment

All sorted now, deleted 10.2 and reinstalled 10.1.4 across all our macs - FCPX is working like it should again, I'll watch out for the Quicktime X problems, cheers
                    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

Originally posted by daveduffus View Post
                      No issues within FCPX 10.1.4, however, I had noticed that QuickTime X was giving me black AVCHD footage after either the 10.10.2 or the 10.10.3 update.
                      Same here. I can narrow down the onset of the problem to the day i installed 10.10.3, the 2.0.1 codecs, and the latest Compressor and Motion. Luckily, I was unable to properly install FCPX 10.2! 10.1.4 works perfectly. But the Quicktime problem is a PITA for my workflow.

Ugh!
                      "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

Comment

You had a lucky escape ullanta!
                        EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

Originally posted by TubEfingers View Post
                          You had a lucky escape ullanta!
                          I know! There I was all ticked off at my computer for not showing the update on the updates page, and giving an error when I tried to install it from the purchased page - when all along it was just trying to protect me!
                          "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

Comment

10.2.1 update released yesterday that fixes the AVCHD issue
                            I'll stay away until 10.2.2 though after getting my fingers burnt on the 10.2 AVCHD hassle
                            EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

Comment

I haven't done any extensive work, but it's all working okay for me since the update.
                              Nice to have things working normally again.

Comment

Working...
                              X