Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Coast AF100 Shooter with LOTS of toys! (watch video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Coast AF100 Shooter with LOTS of toys! (watch video)

Hey guys...i'm new to the PRO film making scene and have invested ALOT to get competitive and productive. I am looking for projects to be a part of outside of mine and want to get some valuable experience as well as make a few bucks here and there. My rig and all my equipment is available to travel between New Mexico, Nevada, California, & Arizona. For the right projects I would even consider Oregon & Washington. Here is my creative and gear soaked soul laid out in video form...lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUkAFHrT3qk

Give me your opinions. Honestly...brutal or productive. I'm not here to be popular. I'm here to learn.

Dre Allen
    Dre Allen
    Owner/Director - ASG Films
    dre@asgfilms.com

Originally posted by dreallen View Post
    Hey guys...i'm new to the PRO film making scene and have invested ALOT to get competitive and productive. I am looking for projects to be a part of outside of mine and want to get some valuable experience as well as make a few bucks here and there. My rig and all my equipment is available to travel between New Mexico, Nevada, California, & Arizona. For the right projects I would even consider Oregon & Washington. Here is my creative and gear soaked soul laid out in video form...lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUkAFHrT3qk

Give me your opinions. Honestly...brutal or productive. I'm not here to be popular. I'm here to learn.

Dre Allen
    I'd say I'm not entirely sure what it is you'd be providing. I mean, it's clear you have some gear, but are you renting that out, or just yourself + crew, or both? Do you mail your gear or personally bring it? What are your day rates? How big is your crew? Are they included in your day rate?

If you're pitching yourself as a DP or director, then I'd say a reel is far more important then whatever your current list of gear is. My flicks are my resume so to speak, but my gear is always changing - even from week to week. And of course, what I have might not be what an agency wants to shoot on: If they want to rent an Alexa, okey-dokey. You want a Mark II, sure thing. Don't care? I have that too. But I don't rent gear - I just "rent" me.

Bottom line is that I'd be much more specific on exactly what your business provides. Without prodding too much, who are you aiming your services at? That would be a good starting point. It's clear you have passion + drive, which is probably the best selling point in your video.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

Comment

I am mostly aiming at recording artists looking to do a music video. Mostly low budget stuff but also some independent film makers. I bought the gear mostly to do the films I really want to do but I would like to recoup the $20k+ I put into the RV, a f100, and misc gear. Then I can just sit back and take my time making the films I am passionate about.
      Dre Allen
      dre@asgfilms.com

Comment

Here's my music video reel by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYq_-KN06Do
        Dre Allen
        dre@asgfilms.com

Comment

Maybe combine them?
          John Vincent

Comment

Here's my music video reel by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYq_-KN06Do
            Try to take this as constructive (as its intended)...
            I couldn't take it anymore, I quit by the mid-point.
            I'm not an authority so take it with a grain of salt but, if that's what you're selling then fine but it's way too long and doesn't fully showcase the depth of your talent...
            If I'm hiring a guy to shoot music I'm probably going to give you a look but given a choice I'm likely going with a guy (or gal) who can really bring it!
            So all I'm suggesting is, even though this may be your primary market today you might want to show that you can light a scene, capture quality sound, and focus the camera. Again, don't get me wrong...I think what you show in your present reel is appropriate to your market (and I'm not suggesting that work is easy) but, if it were me, I'd consider a little more variety...
            And if nothing else, shorten that thing up or they'll be watching someone else's stuff long before that vid is over.

Best.
            Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Comment

Nice tour of your gear, and thanks for giving the proper kudos to the AF at around 2 min in . Hallelujah music is most appropriate.

Here are my thoughts- if you want to use this video as a marketing tool I would suggest not going with the "follow me with my iPhone and I'll show you" route. You don't want the shaky, blurry, stabilize-the-jello-look that this video has, to reflect on your skills. Yes it's quick and dirty and gets the info across quickly, but it doesn't have the "nothing but the best" look to it. The footage is still useful though...

I suggest you now do an interview setup for yourself and talk about who you are, your love of this medium, what you've done and what you can do. Then talk about what tools you have avail for use (then cut to those iPhone shots of your dolly, camera, RV, etc.). Light and mic it well, make it look good. Intercut shots of your previous music videos.

Although your tools are an important asset, you should be selling yourself. The objective of the video should be about you and your company's vision. Make that first and foremost, the gear is just gravy. And keep it under 3 minutes cause that's the attention span for most online video watchers (sadly).

Hope this helps, and good luck.
              azvideoworks.com

Comment

I´m totally torn here: After watching your music video reel I can see you got some great skills.
                But I saw the "Hey, look at me and my gear" video first, and wasn´t actually sure if it was meant as a satire or not...
                I mean, showing off pink work lights?;)
                Don´t get me wrong, we all know what a talented DP can pull of with worklights and some diffusion (or with an IKEA chinese lantern aso).
                But I don´t want those tools presented to me by a potential business partner as "my lighting gear" as if ARRI wouldn´t even exist;)
                The part with the Donald Duck voice shows your a funny guy and for introducing yourself to fellow DVXusers this video is great,
                but for generating new business, it seems a bit to casual/bro-ish for my taste.
                To get more constructive:
                I´d say your RV and your AF100 are your strong selling points right know, if you want/need to show off your gear in a video.
                I´d take some nice shots of the AF and intercut with the best scenes from your reel.
                So people who need to see a fancy camera before they trust your reel, will be satisfied (I hope for you there aren´t that many of those clients though...)

The RV now is sth adding A LOT of production value to any project (as you know yourself) and isn´t sth many shooters have up there sleeve.
                So watch some episodes of Top Gear for inspiration and use all your equipment (dolly, crane) along with your
                great storytelling skills and make that baby shine!

Everything just my 2c of course and I wish you all the best!

PS: Shorten that reel! ;)
                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

I agree with most of the sentiments above.

Use your gear to make a decent promo about your gear. Maybe bring in a good editor to make it snappy (and get rid of all the quick jump cuts).

Also, in the Directors Reel, unless I am mistaken (because I was watching in low-quality); were you the singer in most of the music videos, and the actor in the movie? If so, then maybe only do a voiceover for the gear promo (don't show your face); otherwise potential customers watching the Directors Reel will get the impression that up till now you have been your only customer!
                  http://vimeo.com/channels/guerrillafilms

Comment

Well, I don't mean to be a d**k, but honestly, if I was paying top dollar for someone to shoot and they showed up with lights from home depot, and home made reflectors and that, I would be very worried and I would start wondering if that deposit cheque went through yet. I think the jib looks good, the camera on sticks,
                    and some of the other stuff, but I would very seriously reconsider the construction lights and plastic tubing. Looks super amateur. Invest in proper equipment,
                    lights if nothing else.
                    I can't help but think someone is cheese no matter what the excuse, when I see the broom handle boom mic. just my opinion.

That said, I would focus only on the quality of work, then it doesn't matter what you are using, only what you end up with.
                    Your demo looks good, but I would double check the grain on some of the shots (maybe youtube effect) and the white balance.

I have an af100 and I always have trouble with white balance.

that's my honest opinion fwiw

Comment

OH THE BRUTALITY!!! LOL...good stuff. First off, I am not using this as any kind of reel. I made this video showing my gear specifically for the DVX community. To get some feedback. I am going to do a proper company vid soon but I also did most of my previous music videos on an HVX. I want to wait until I have some AF100 projects done before I do my REAL reel. I use that "so-called" directors reel on youtube for the purpose of getting the clients who are far from hyper critical and impressed by it nonetheless.I have 4 videos booked. So hopefully soon. As far as home depot lights and home made reflectors with pvc piping...you're giving people too much credit. I haven't had a single complaint.I AM definitely purchasing 2 ARRI 2k's this week though complete with barn doors. And not because I need the. I once lit a scene three point with a 2k, tungsten, and pro led then did the same scene with work lights and a cat ball and it looked IDENTICAL. Gear is irrelevant. I don't have any desire to be hired by "know it all's" and corporate machine minded entertainment types. I am more into making films that I want to make and everyone else can kiss my butt until the final product shows up through the agency. I have NEVER seen a film get turned down for distribution because it got leaked that the dolly track was made of pvc or the reflectors and diffusion scrims we made from cotton sheets from Walmart. That's because those technical details never come up. Only in these threads. And it IS entertaining but I understand that it is because of the competitive nature of shooters who have to maintain some form of technical edge in their market in order to get enough work annually to hopefully put food on their plates. I'm not one of those shooters. I was in the music industry, grammy nominates, sold millions of records as a songwriter and get screwed by my publisher. Music sales dropped and I just so happened to love making music videos. Natural progression led me to a severe desire to become a story teller in another way. Film. So here I am. I respect and appreciate all of the critique. 87% noted...13% expected. You guys are awesome. I'll step my game up though for sure.

Dre
                      Dre Allen
                      dre@asgfilms.com

Comment

Gear is irrelevant
                        Which is why your reel is so much more important. You can always include a list of your gear as part of your day rate at the end of your reel. Of course to a young - poor - band just starting out, your gear - and knowledge of how to use - is very relevant (but I understand your meaning).

BTW - your post is titled "West Coast AF100 Shooter with LOTS of toys!" so the gear can't be totally irrelevant. ;)

One other note - if you're looking to be hired for music videos, then I'd say that right off the bat. I'd get very specific as to why you're a better option to direct someone's music video then say, one of the band's friends. That's where you could really bring your passion for film & music to bare I think.
                        Last edited by jdv; 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM.
                        John Vincent

Comment

My $0.02.

The video made me dizzy and I don't think it will serve you well. Using homemade scrims and work lights is great but I wouldn't show it off. If you have to explain it then it's not good. But the RV is sick! I want one.
                          YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/ErikNaso
                          VIMEO: http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
                          BLOG: www.eriknaso.com
                          TWITTER: eriknaso https://twitter.com/ErikNaso?lang=en

Comment

I'd say market your reel to bands directly. As for the home depot lights. I see what some are saying here, but I've used construction lights in a pinch and they are just fine. HOWEVER... Get your butt on e-bay and start looking for some used mole richardson, arri, and lowel lighting. Get some shinny boards going. Get some C-stands (used). get lots of sand bags. Get a production cart. Put a video village or DIT station in the RV. Then put them home depot lights in the trunk and offer as a backup.

Here is a search on e-bay just for the Mole gear I did for you.
                            http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Here are some c-stands:
                            http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...stand&_sacat=0

Lowel lighting:
                            http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...light&_sacat=0

Comment

OH MY GOD! That's crazy! I just ordered 3 C Stands, 2 Mole Richardson 2k Mole Baby Jr's, and a Mole 1k Nooklite! I hope that satisfies my lighting critics a little bit...LOL! I STILL gonna use my home depot floods though...lol
                              Dre Allen
                              dre@asgfilms.com

Comment

Working...
                              X