24p in a 50hz country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24p in a 50hz country

Headed to Australia anybody know best practices for 24p in a 50hz country?
    Particularly if adjusting the synchro scan is a good idea?

http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/201...-50hz-country/

Thanks!

Use 1/50 shutter speed, not 180 degrees or 1/48, and you should be fine...
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
      Use 1/50 shutter speed, not 180 degrees or 1/48, and you should be fine...
      Barry, I thought the 172.8 degree setting is exactly for working at 24p in 50HZ territories? I use it al the time in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by XSVpro View Post
        Barry, I thought the 172.8 degree setting is exactly for working at 24p in 50HZ territories? I use it al the time in the UK
        (1 / 24) * (172.8 / 360) = 0.02 (or 1/50 exactly), so it's the same thing.

- Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Smith View Post
          (1 / 24) * (172.8 / 360) = 0.02 (or 1/50 exactly), so it's the same thing.

- Greg
          Thank you!

Comment

Hmmmn, I'm learning something new here. I thought all you had to do was change from 60Hz to 50Hz. Are you saying you have to change the shutter speed, too?
            "Our arrows will block out the sun!"
            "Fool, we have HMIs!"

Comment

The main issue is any sort of ambient electronics will operate at 50hz rather than the 60hz stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by dtzfilms View Post
                Hmmmn, I'm learning something new here. I thought all you had to do was change from 60Hz to 50Hz. Are you saying you have to change the shutter speed, too?
                Switching the AF100 to 50 Hz will put it in 25p PAL mode instead of 24p NTSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern Caughey View Post
                  Switching the AF100 to 50 Hz will put it in 25p PAL mode instead of 24p NTSC.
                  Alright, I'll be sure to switch to 172.8 or 1/50 when I go to London next month. Thanks a lot! Phew!
                  "Our arrows will block out the sun!"
                  "Fool, we have HMIs!"

Comment

If shooting 24p, use 172.8 or 1/50. If changing to 50Hz, use 25P at 1/50.
                    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by scott favorite View Post
                      Headed to Australia anybody know best practices for 24p in a 50hz country?
                      Particularly if adjusting the synchro scan is a good idea?

http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/201...-50hz-country/

Thanks!
                      Are you delivering this in PAL or 50Hz? If so, you're better off shooting 25p.

If you're just asking about shooting 50Hz monitors, lights, etc., with the intent of delivering as 24p or in NTSC, then yeah, 1/50.
                      LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

Is it correct to say that by turning the shutter off it actually defaults in 24p mode to 1/50, so in essence I don't have to set the synchro at all if I turn the shutter off in 24p mode?

Thanks!

PS editing stateside no PAL delivery

Comment

Yes. Default shutter speed in 24p is 1/50th, so "shutter off" = 1/50.

Comment

Thank you Mr. Green! I am a big fan of your book and dvd. Appreciate all you do for the dvx community.

Comment

Hey, glad to help!

Comment

Working...
                              X