Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you shoot a major film with the AF100...yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agreed as I should have sent you a message instead of posting. I just found your post condescending but then you wasn't posting to me so I should have sent you a message instead if at all.

Comment

Well this has all been rather informative and entertaining in some ways. I appreciate all of your inputs specifically Zak...I hold your work up as an example of what I strive to even come close to with my film. It's an ambitious endeavor and I am certain it will be amazing now with your gracious sharing of camera settings, technique, etc. As for all of the other advice I am taking it all in and applying it to my process. Again...thank you SO much guys. I would also like to thank Barry Green...from Yahoo, to Vimeo and all the tech, instructional, & conference videos you have done on this camera with Jan and the others who have shown the camera from its infancy...I have learned alot from you also...Mylo and Shooter...AMAZING responses. Thanks.

Dre Allen
      Last edited by dreallen; 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM. Reason: left out a tidbit
      Dre Allen
      Owner/Director - ASG Films
      dre@asgfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by dreallen View Post
        Well this has all been rather informative and entertaining in some ways. I appreciate all of your inputs specifically Zak...I hold your work up as an example of what I strive to even come close to with my film. It's an ambitious endeavor and I am certain it will be amazing now with your gracious sharing of camera settings, technique, etc. As for all of the other advice I am taking it all in and applying it to my process. Again...thank you SO much guys. I would also like to thank Barry Green...from Yahoo, to Vimeo and all the tech, instructional, & conference videos you have done on this camera with Jan and the others who have shown the camera from its infancy...I have learned alot from you also...Mylo and Shooter...AMAZING responses. Thanks.

Dre Allen
        Dre, if you can grab a copy, pick up and read The Visual Story by Bruce Block, Second Edition. I'm uk based but I found it at amazon.com for only $20, http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Story-S.../dp/0240807790

A little intense to start off with but genuinely eye opening. Good luck

Comment

I concur, but the reason I'm on this board is to become educated. I have short several shirts on miniDV. The sensor on my camera was 1/6 inch. I can afford a better camera, I'm going to use it a lot, I'm not going to rent a Red, because I shoot when I can get cast/crew together, sometimes at the last minute. Yeah, if I had Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp, I'd spring for a rental instead of a $29 camera, but I don't. Just want some advice if getting the most from my money!

Comment

Originally posted by hscully View Post
            You can make a feature with the AF100 that sells. Look at Raid Redemption as an example. However, I think that the AF100 needs to work in your genre, the look and the budget. I mean you can't shoot ANY feature with an AF100 but you could shoot one that matched it's capabilities. If you were shooting a sci fi thriller with a lot of vfx you may want something with more color depth and resolution like an Epic or Scarlet. If you're telling a character driven story with a "realistic" look, then I think you can definitely shoot it with an AF100. If you were going for something like climbing Mt. Everest or any movie with snow all the time you'd might want an f3 with Slog to keep the highlights right.

In any case the camera won't make it any of those things... competitive, sellable, potential theatrical release... your script will. Cameras don't make movies without your help ;)
            Well written answer.
            https://www.themediamechanic.com

Comment

Working...
            X