Is the AF100 a good choice for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the AF100 a good choice for me?

I am not a video expert, but did help shoot video for church services. I just moved and have been asked to purchase and set up a camera for shooting the services. The previous camera was a Panasonic HMC150 and worked fairly well. The new church is larger and has a little larger budget, so am considering the AF100. I would like to know if this is a good choice. The building is what I would consider to be a low lighting set up. Also, the distance from the speaker to the camera is about 75 feet. I would like to use a VariZoom, or equal, to control the zoom from the handle, but understand that not all lenses will work with a VariZoom. So, if the camera is a good choice for my application, then what lens would be optimal?

From what you've described, I'd recommend the AC130A or AC160A instead of the AF100 for these purposes. The AF100 is meant to be used in shallow-DOF cinema-style shoots, and is not ideal for event coverage, especially an extreme telephoto event like what you describe.

I think you'd be a lot happier with an AC130A or AC160A. They're the successors to the HMC150, and they basically give you everything the HMC150 had but offer substantially cleaner/sharper footage, a lot more telephoto, better low light performance, remote control zoom capability, etc.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by donnyb View Post
      I am not a video expert, but did help shoot video for church services. I just moved and have been asked to purchase and set up a camera for shooting the services. The previous camera was a Panasonic HMC150 and worked fairly well. The new church is larger and has a little larger budget, so am considering the AF100. I would like to know if this is a good choice.
      In addition to the Pannys Barry already mentioned, the new JVC GY HM600 looks pretty sweet for what you've described - 29mm-667mm zoom lens, 3 files types (mov, mp4, avchd), good in low light, etc.

For less cash, the Canon XF100/105 is a strong camera.

Phil Johnston's review of the JVC:
      http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2013/01/2...-hm650-update/

His review of the Canon:
      http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2012/01/2...-v-sonys-nx70/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
      John Vincent
      Evil Genius Entertainment.com

Comment

I'll second Barry. I kept my HMC150 simply because there are a lot of things the AF100 (or any large sensor camera) can't do well. For event type stuff, the AC130a/AC160a would be better suited. Also, would this be your camera or the church's, because if it's the church's, you're going to have to plan on folks not nearly as proficient in how to run a camera using it. I got my church to buy a used HMC150 two years ago for this very reason. I can't imagine some of the folks who have to use it being able to use an AF100 even remotely well.

Comment

+1 What Barry said.

Comment

and again for the 130/160a. Huge zoom, total control over every function, superb imagery and you don't need a bucketful of lenses and ND filters etc. I had this choice dilemma also, and I am so glad I went for the 160a for my type of work.
            Cheers!
            Rod
            Rod Pike
            Panasonic af102- lumix 12-35mm f2.8- lumix 35-100mm f2.8- Lumix 14-140 f4-5.6- and an Olympus 4/3 9-18mm zoom -also Panasonic ac160A
            www.voxvideoproductions.co.nz
            A set of high quality paint brushes don't make you Rembrandt!

Comment

I love the little AF but I don't think it is the camera for the job you described. Look at the cameras Barry mentioned. They are far more fitted for your application.
              Paul
              Lizardlandvideo.com
              Latexfilmservice.com
              Camera and Grip Electric Rentals in Dallas and Shreveport
              Phoenix Video Productions

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am so glad I asked the question, as I was not aware of the 130/160 series. I too have experienced people that have operated the cameras and have had to change settings back that they had no business trying to tweak. I think the AF100 would make that even more of a problem. The AC130a/160a is also very similar to the HMC150 and that is a plus for me.

Question - is there a Barry Green book out covering the AC130a/160a series?

Comment

Yes, the AC130&160 book has been revised to cover the AC130A and AC160A.
                  The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Working...
                  X