Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips or pic of how to pack af100 in think tank international carry on bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips or pic of how to pack af100 in think tank international carry on bag?

Could use a little help packing my af100 in here. Anyone have pics of a good layout they found to fit the af100 efficiently with 7 other lens, battery chargers, etc?

I use the think tank bag. You just have to play around with it to see how your stuff fits best. Every set of kit packs a little differently. Love my think tank you can pack an amazing amount of gear in it.

Comment

Thanks dhart. Yeah I've played around a while. Would it be hard for you to post a picture just so I could get some ideas?

Here's what I've got thus far. Not sure if I'm using it as efficient as I could be.

Also I cannot seem to find any information (despite how much I google) on best practices for packing a carry on camera bag. For example, is it best to have camera body at top or bottom? Is it ok to put fragile things on the outside edges like lenses, or is it safer to pack towards middle? How tight do you want to pack stuff, i.e., absolutely no wiggle room? Etc. All I can seem to find is that most people prefer to back their lenses with lens down and mount up.

Thanks for help!
      IMG_9611.jpg

Comment

Left side has long shotgun mics wrapped and slipped down side crack, batteries. Middle is lenses and camera body, it looks like there is a lens space at the bottom but it's way too tight right now. I could probably free up some of that extra padding between camera body and first lens on top right to make room, but is it safe/ok to put a lens that close to edge & bottom?

The right side is actually really tight for fitting a lens, I could squeeze my little Oly 12mm in there but is it ok to have that close to the edge?

The top right is IDX dual charger and panny charger

Comment

I have a similar bag to yours, but it's a roller Lowe Pro (I think its the x100 or something). It's quite small and I pack it to the brim with the AF100, GH1, 4 Lenses, SmallHD D6 and all assorted batteries and chargers. For carryon best practices, my piece of advice is that you'll be fine as long as you NEVER ever let them take the bag away from you and try to check it, especially at the gate. If it's with you at all times, then you don't have to worry about how delicate it is. They've tried many times before to gate check my bag on small planes, but I always fight and find a place to put it.
          Eidolon Films
          The Guardians - Coming in 2018

Comment

Oh, I am a fighter for sure! I will put up the world's biggest stink haha. My main concern is *IF* it does get bag checked, best packing practices. I will be flying internationally and regionally for documentary work... small airports in India, etc. I can only put up a good fight if they speak English...

Comment

Well, unfortunately if they make you check it, your only option is to take out the most expensive piece of gear you have in the bag and hold on to it and hope nothing else gets damaged. Once it leaves your hands anything can happen. I don't know how big your bag is, but my roller pops out into a backpack that fits under the seat of even small planes.
              Eidolon Films
              The Guardians - Coming in 2018

Comment

True, but STILL...

Are there any best practices for placement, positions, etc. of camera body, lenses, what not?

And would still love some tips/feedback on my packing job, and pics of anyone else's... need some ideas how to maximize space better. Especially with how to fit the camera body most efficiently and securely, and if the very edges are OK to put stuff, and if it's better to place certain items at top or bottom.

Comment

Airport Acceleratorbag1.JPGbag2.jpg
                  Last edited by scott favorite; 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Thank you for sharing Scott!

Comment

Here is mine.

Contents:
                      AF100
                      6 Batteries
                      2 Chargers
                      7 Lenses
                      Wireless Kit
                      RR Rail System
                      RR Follow Focus
                      RR MFT Live Lens Adapter
                      Media
                      Accessories
                      Headphones
                      Shotgun Mic

Total Weight 33LB

photo.jpg
                      Last edited by BollingerPro; 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Originally posted by BollingerPro View Post
                        Here is mine.

Contents:
                        AF100
                        6 Batteries
                        2 Chargers
                        7 Lenses
                        Wireless Kit
                        RR Rail System
                        RR Follow Focus
                        RR MFT Live Lens Adapter
                        Media
                        Accessories
                        Headphones
                        Shotgun Mic

Total Weight 33LB
                        My back just gave out thinking about that load crammed in there. :-)
                        I used to go on dive vacations with an uw video setup crammed into a carry-on sized pelican case - housing, video camera, extra batteries for the lights and lights - about 35lbs all together. On one overseas trip the airline agent made me weigh the bag and insisted that I couldn't take it as a carry-on as it exceeded their weight limits for carry-on luggage.
                        Last edited by dwiener; 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Which bag model is it that you all are using? I see that they make several different ones.
                          Producer, director, and DP. Shooting on a Canon C100 Mark II.

Get in touch!
                          // Vimeo

Comment

Working...
                          X