No announcement yet.

Lens Investments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The majority of productions using PL mount lenses would likely have a focus-puller.

Comment

Of course that is how it is. Today. But if you are dropping (and our OP wont be so I dont want to derail the thread too much) $30-$50k on a cine zoom lens you gotta look 5 years into the future.

S
      http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
        Of course that is how it is. Today. But if you are dropping (and our OP wont be so I dont want to derail the thread too much) $30-$50k on a cine zoom lens you gotta look 5 years into the future.

S
        I doubt anyone outside of a rental house will buy the expensive PL zooms unless they rent equipment out to rental houses, Primes on the other hand are around $4-7K and a small set of three or five CP2s could make sense to some, I still think its mad to drop $15-25k on glass when as an operator you will get hired for the camera you own first, the camera you can use second and the glass you own.... Well I don't think I've had a single client ask if I'm honest and none of these attributes count higher than your reel/previous works. As a DP you will be hired for your vision and skill with light and understanding of film, not what you own.

I really can't see auto focus ever being used on a PL lens, remote focus control has been around a while and focus pullers are a skilled bunch, I can't see a director handing over that control to contrast detection?

you never know for sure I guess.

Comment

To the OP, I've been quite happy with Contax Zeiss primes as my personal set. They're super-sharp, work on a number of cameras (converted to Nikon-mount), and if the production calls for it I just rent something better. No need to spend a truckload on lenses unless you're bringing in the money to make back that investment quickly. Just my two cents on the matter.

Happy Shooting!

- Jon
          www.jonathanhout.com

Panasonic AG-AF100
          Panasonic GH2

Lens Kit

Contax: Zeiss 28mm f/2.8, Zeiss 50mm f/1.7, Zeiss 85mm f/2.8
          Panasonic: Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
          Nikon: Tokina 11-16 2.8; Nikkor 28mm f/2.8; Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
          Minolta: Celtic 35mm f/2.8; Rokkor-X 45mm f/2; Rokkor PF 55mm f/2

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Hout View Post
            To the OP, I've been quite happy with Contax Zeiss primes as my personal set. They're super-sharp, work on a number of cameras (converted to Nikon-mount),
            Sounds perfect.
            http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

I couldn't agree more with the notion of investing in glass. Most glass will outlast your next ten cameras at the pace things are moving at the moment. I invested in a full set of CP.2s in the latter half of last year, I hadn't really had any plans to invest in that level of glass, but it's hands-down the smartest gear purchase I've made. The feedback from clients since I started shooting with the Zeisses has been nothing short of ecstatic, and it's led to progressively more work.

If you can find a way to swing it, PL-glass will make you weep for the hours of your life wasted on trying to repeat focus pulls and confirm focus with peaking and the like - those things just aren't issues with proper cine lenses.
              DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
              www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post
                I couldn't agree more with the notion of investing in glass. Most glass will outlast your next ten cameras at the pace things are moving at the moment. I invested in a full set of CP.2s in the latter half of last year, I hadn't really had any plans to invest in that level of glass, but it's hands-down the smartest gear purchase I've made. The feedback from clients since I started shooting with the Zeisses has been nothing short of ecstatic, and it's led to progressively more work.

If you can find a way to swing it, PL-glass will make you weep for the hours of your life wasted on trying to repeat focus pulls and confirm focus with peaking and the like - those things just aren't issues with proper cine lenses.

Hey Grug, any temptation to swap the mount out to Nikon for compatibility with meta bones speedbooster? Even if it was $500 per lens you would essentially be doubling your lens set and making them brighter!

Id love to see someone do this, CP2s made sharper and brighter! Quality would be through the roof!

Comment

Ok hot topic! haha. As the OP I'll chime in with my humble thoughts

I'm all about spend more, buy once to save in the long run. And I know glass is the most important part. But to get a basic set of lenses for that much is more than all my equipment total.

I think you can buy smart, and save in the long run. I got all my lenses for my AF100 used. My 14-54mm was bundled with the used sale of my AF100. I bought the Nokton 25mm & Oly 12mm used. I picked up the vintage Nikkor/Minolta Rokkors from KEH + adaptors for under $350 in great condition. And since it's all used, I doubt I'll take more than a few hundred dollar hit on all the lenses combined. Probably less of a hit than even purchasing a different adaptor type for the CP.2s

I know the PL lenses are awesome and probably better quality as well, but I'm simply not at the kind of paygrade to warrant that. And realistically, my next camera will be in 2014 for Sony, Canon, or Panny at an S35 sensor size. I'm not sure what mount it will use, but the downside is my MFT glass likely will be no good... luckily I got it used so I can move on. I would like to buy lenses though that will work well with those cameras and all I'd have to do is pull off the MFT adaptor from the lenses I buy and/or swap to another $20 adaptor.

On a different note, I would be open to another MFT mount camera because the size/weight is so stellar for run'n'gun and documentary work which I do a lot of these days. I would just like to see perhaps a bigger sensor in there, it's ok if it has crop factor I just want better lowlight and the ability to get even shallow(er) DOF because frankly some clients are all about that look, though I don't want it all the time it's nice to give people what they want since I do this for $$ and people specifically ask for that look.

Though the metabones speed booster could be the answer to that. If Panny did an AF200 with MFT mount and a better sensor (better DR, resolution, highlight handling, etc. + better lowlight), a 1080p LCD, and better internal recording options (ProRes, AVC-Intra/Ultra) I think I'd be sold. Oh, and it should be easier to get better slow-motion since that's just processor/bandwidth which has improved so much that the GoPro3 can do 120fps... so throw that in too ;)
                  Last edited by filmguy123; 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I can see both sides here, particularly where you are coming from, I'm not in a PL owning pay grade yet myself and when I am I doubt I will need to be asking a forum for help in lenses choices and was sure that's where you was coming from and that PL mentions where going to be a no no, its no debate on their quality but I didn't think you was looking at those.

The speedbooster is intriguing and makes this question quite diverse as the Meta Bones adapter gives our micro four thirds cams the field of view and depth of field of Super 35, take the adapter off and your back to a higher crop for a longer reach. I now only want the next Panny camera to be a better sensor, not a different one. Interesting how that has come about just from the adapter announcement.

For me, my two Tamron zooms and Samyang set is all I really need and use really, once Samyang release the 50mm T1.5 the set will be complete. I have a GH2 and my Mrs has a GF3 and we both like taking pictures (I started in sports photography/journalism with Olympus E cameras) and are sold on the Mirrorless format for photography so will always have a few m43 lenses around but for filming the relatively cheap set of Samyang Cine Primes and Tamron Zooms combined with the eventual metabones adapter gives me all the focal length and speed that I need pay for just now, I can rent PL when its needed.

I know its not a popular decision but I'd rather own and experience the camera over investing in expensive glass, its my operating of that device that pays the bills at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by XSVpro View Post
                      Hey Grug, any temptation to swap the mount out to Nikon for compatibility with meta bones speedbooster? Even if it was $500 per lens you would essentially be doubling your lens set and making them brighter!

Id love to see someone do this, CP2s made sharper and brighter! Quality would be through the roof!
                      Temptation? Absolutely. I need $2500 burning a hole in my pocket though before I can really consider it.
                      DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                      www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Regarding the Rokinon/Samyang lenses, which mount would you get them in? Nikon or Canon? I was reading Nikon was slightly more versatile?
                        Co-Founder, Matter of Chance Productions

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Provost View Post
                          Regarding the Rokinon/Samyang lenses, which mount would you get them in? Nikon or Canon? I was reading Nikon was slightly more versatile?
                          Nikon can be adapted to EOS, but not vice-versa.

Helpful chart of FFD's for various mounts:
                          http://allphotolenses.com/articles/item/c_6.html
                          Pudgy bearded camera guy
                          http://mcbob.tv

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Provost View Post
                            Canon will focus in the same direction as a cine lens. Nikon will rotate the other way. The Nikon way
                            YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/ErikNaso
                            VIMEO: http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
                            BLOG: www.eriknaso.com
                            TWITTER: eriknaso https://twitter.com/ErikNaso?lang=en

Comment

Working...
                            X