Panasonic GH2
    Canon 70 - 200mm f. 2.8
    Canon 24 - 105mm f. 4L;
    Canon 24 - 70mm f. 2.8;
    Rokinon Cine 35mm, 50mm, 85mm
    Lumix 14 - 140; Lumix 12 - 35;
    Lumix 20mm;

Comment

By the way, I really hope this doesn't come across as snarky, it's not meant to be. I'm fully aware of the AF100's shortcomings, but it also makes the most business sense for me. I'm just tired of hearing what is in effect a keeping up with the Jones argument.

I agree, my ears hurt!
      www.prudentmedia.tv
      Canon C100 MII
      Canon C100
      Panasonic AG AC-160a;
      Panasonic GH2
      Canon 70 - 200mm f. 2.8
      Canon 24 - 105mm f. 4L;
      Canon 24 - 70mm f. 2.8;
      Rokinon Cine 35mm, 50mm, 85mm
      Lumix 14 - 140; Lumix 12 - 35;
      Lumix 20mm;

Comment

AF100a on the way to this new user & member. Looking forward to it. No budget yet for external recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by groveChuck View Post
          Bern- what are your early thoughts on the GH3, other than changing settings such as ISO, WB, etc?
          Operation, image, etc.
          Other than Edelkrone/Cavision, anything else? EVF or monitor?

And when you can, please let us know how it cuts with the AF100.
          thanks
          Though I got my 1st GH3 the day they hit the USA, I've only used it on a couple jobs, so feel it's a bit early to fully comment on it's performance.

First impressions: Handling is much improved, & while many users complain about the EVF, I find it useable for focusing & much better than the AF100's. IF Panasonic adds FIR it would be even better.

The LCD is improved too & easier to see in the Sun.

AF performance is also much improved, especially with the new zooms, & fast primes. I've haven't fully tested continuous AF, but have utilized AFS when composing with the LCD.

As a stills camera the GH3 is light years beyond it's predecessors, & for the first time in ages I left the 5D(s) at home when traveling abroad. While no match for the 5D3, the GH3 is more than useable in many circumstances.

Of any camera I've used the GH3 comes closest to fulfilling the dream of a compact camera head, but there are surely issues that still need to be addressed.

My footage is currently flowing thru the post pipeline, & I look forward to the editors' feedback.
          Last edited by Bern Caughey; 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

My solution to this 422 10 bit affordable camera delima was to get an HPX250. The highlight handling is considerably better and the image meets broadcast standards - and that under-the-radar HPX250 is being used everywhere, especially for documentary-type shooting... It does mean giving up selective focus though.

However, because I have the Lumix 12-35, 35-100 - and two Noktons, not to mention many adapted Leica and Canon FDs - I will continue to hope for a full-featuered MFT camera that allows me to use those lenses. Sadly, the BMDCC doesn't yet talk to the Lumixes (Lumi?) - although I have ordered one - a camera which (I hope) won't see the light of FedEx before Panasonic uses it's available technology to improve their own MFT camera, whatever the hell they chose to call it, and I can cancel the order for that horribly designed BMDCC.

Comment

Mac, when the BMDCC smart MFT mount starts shipping you will have already purchased the AF-4000Ka model (updated AF-4K camera with s35 and cropped MFT sensor) So don't worry.
              YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/ErikNaso
              VIMEO: http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
              BLOG: www.eriknaso.com
              TWITTER: eriknaso https://twitter.com/ErikNaso?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Naso View Post
                Mac, when the BMDCC smart MFT mount starts shipping you will have already purchased the AF-4000Ka model (updated AF-4K camera with s35 and cropped MFT sensor) So don't worry.
                ... from your mouth to Panasonic's ears!

Comment

Actually, I don't think I'll live that long, I'm pushing 70...

By the way, PBS' standards are a minimum of 1'2" sensor, which is another reason to want an improved MFT camera.. But many are submitting shows shot on the 250 (and the Canons) - don't ask, don't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern Caughey View Post
                    Though I got my 1st GH3 the day they hit the USA, I've only used it on a couple jobs, so feel it's a bit early to fully comment on it's performance...

First impressions: Handling is much improved, & while many users complain about the EVF, I find it useable for focusing & much better than the AF100's. IF Panasonic adds FIR it would be even better...

My footage is currently flowing thru the post pipeline, & I look forward to the editors' feedback.
                    Thanks Bern! Nice point about the EVF, look forward to your thoughts on mixing the cams in post...

Comment

Working...
                    X